TUTORIAL: Lil Cutie Pouches

Ask and ye shall recieve!  Here’s the tutorial for the Lil Cutie Pouch.

You need:

• 8 x 6.25 piece of exterior fabric (interfaced)
  • 8 x 6.25 piece of lining
  • 2 x 3 piece of fabric for key ring loop
  • split key ring
  • 8″ zipper

This one’s quick! Make a couple at a time and keep one for yourself this time (I did!).

{1/4″ seam allowances throughout}

Cut your exterior & lining pieces in half (measuring 4 x 6.25 each, you’ll have 4 pieces)

Take your 2 x 3 piece of fabric, fold right sides together the long way, sew.  Turn right side out and press with the seam in the middle of the fabric.  Press in half to make a loop, baste raw edges together if desired.  Set aside.

Noodlehead   TUTORIAL: Lil Cutie Pouches tutorial sewing tutorials bags wallets zips Noodlehead   TUTORIAL: Lil Cutie Pouches tutorial sewing tutorials bags wallets zips

Lay down the first exterior fabric right side up, place your zipper teeth side down with the zipper pull to the left.  Lay one of the lining pieces right side down.  Pin if you’d like.  Using your zipper foot sew together.

Flip wrong sides together. Next lay your remaining exterior fabric piece right side up, place your zipper teeth side down with the zipper pull to the right this time.  Lay the remaining lining piece right side down on top of the zipper.  Pin.  Sew.  Flip wrong sides together, press.

Flip right sides together (be sure to open your zipper about half way now).  Tuck in your tab that you made earlier between the exterior pieces of fabric, with the tab’s raw edges facing out.

Sew around entire parimeter leaving a 2 to 3″ opening in the lining for turning.

When I’m sewing around the parimeter, I make sure to push the zipper towards the exterior fabric on both sides when sewing across the zipper (zoom in on the above picture if you need to).  Clip corners, trim excess zipper.  Pull inside out through the opening.  Use chopstick to push out corners.  Tuck raw edges of opening in, sew opening in lining shut with small seam allowance, or stitch closed by hand.  Push lining into exterior.  Press.

Attach your metal key ring, you’re good to go!  Stuff in all those gadgets and whatever else you might need, a camera, cell phone, iPod, you name it.  Let me know if you have any questions, I’d be happy to help.

, ,

86 Responses to TUTORIAL: Lil Cutie Pouches

1. Liz 11.01.2009 at 9:17 am #

This is great! As soon as I can get off the island to get some zippers, I see a few of these in my future. Thanks.

2. anne 11.01.2009 at 8:16 pm #

I am making several of these as we speak. I found your tutorial through One Pretty Thing. These are going to be perfect for gift cards this Christmas. It’s so much cuter to give a cute little pouch like this with the gift inside!

Thanks so much for sharing. I’ll be sure to post a link from my blog.

Oh, and I was wondering if it would be okay for me to give a handful of these to a friend who is trying to raise money for a family in need?!?! They are holding a bazaar to help fund some medical bills, house payments, etc.

3. Anna 11.01.2009 at 10:35 pm #

Go for it Anne, hope the fundraiser goes well!

4. Robin 11.02.2009 at 12:02 am #

Anna! Thank you so much for the tutorial! I immediately had to dig into the scrap pile to make a couple of little pouches, which came out great because of your super-clear directions. :-)

Your site is adorable. I linked back to you from http://somenotesfromafar.blogspot.com.

5. Annie 11.02.2009 at 2:38 am #

So cute!! Thanks for the tutorial. I’ve been looking for something small to hold my bus pass and cell phone; I think this will work perfectly!

6. dana 11.02.2009 at 8:39 pm #

Great tutorial! And I like how you added the “terms of use” phrase at the bottom. That’s a good way to do it.

7. Dancing Lady 11.02.2009 at 9:13 pm #

Hi, this puch is great!!! I want to start to sew and this tutorial is perfect..
    Thanks a lot and congrats for your creations, I love all of it!
    Vera from Italy

8. CoveredInCrafts 11.15.2009 at 3:16 am #

You are the coolest!! I am still learning to sew and you made this look like something I can actually try out. Thank you!! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

9. Jessica 01.25.2010 at 11:47 pm #

This was fantastic! I had never sewn a zipper before and you made it so easy. Thanks!

10. styathm 04.03.2010 at 10:35 pm #

such a cute project! would be great to hold some makeup in it! thanks for the inspiration & hope to start sewing soon!

11. BiEha Besh 06.15.2010 at 7:54 am #

tank for te tute….tanks much,,im sure gonna try dis ;p ngeee~

12. Erin 06.19.2010 at 9:52 pm #

This was the first time I’ve sewn a zipper! I’m so excited about how it turned out. Thanks for the GREAT tutorial! =-)

13. orangebirdstudio 06.22.2010 at 12:19 pm #

i am loving these tutorials! its so nice to find someone who explains how to insert the zip – lots of them just say ‘sew in the zip’ but i need more guidance than that!

Just a quick question – does cutting the zip ‘harm’ it in any way? it’s such a good way to get round sewing over the awkward nobbly bits!

if you could reply to carol@orangebirdstudio.com that would be great

thanks!!!

carol x

14. Holly 07.14.2010 at 12:23 pm #

Just made 2 of these adorable pouches – what fun! My son just requested one for his Poke’mon cards, so I guess I should find some boyish fabric soon! Thanks for the great tutorial!

15. tülin 07.19.2010 at 4:44 am #

çok kolay görünüyor :)

16. Micah 08.04.2010 at 3:37 pm #

I just made this for the first time today! I had the pattern marked as a favorite and was waiting until the perfect time to make it. I am using your birthday idea – I’m giving it to a 4 year old with $4 inside! It was SO QUICK AND EASY!!! I timed myself and I seriously made it from start to finish in 20 minutes!!! I LOVE this pattern!! I will use it over and over again! Yeah for wholesale priced zippers at zipit :D. Thank you so much, Anna! Keep the great ideas coming!!

17. trish 08.14.2010 at 10:37 am #

Good Morning.
    My husband asked if I would create something he can put his cell phone in while at work (he is not allowed to bring it in to the office). So I am planning to use your tutorial (wish me luck-zippers scare the daylights out of me). Can you please tell me where you purchased your 8″ zippers? I have only seen real long ones at the stores.
    May I link back to you when I finish?
    Sincerely ~ Tricia

18. Freddie 08.18.2010 at 6:45 am #

Thanks for the great blog and lovely tutorials.

19. Katie 08.26.2010 at 9:20 pm #

I love this tutorial. I’ve made a handful of these in different sizes already and I love them all. I put up pictures of the one I made today and shared the link to your wonderful tutorial here:

Thanks so much for sharing! Have a nice evening!

20. Zerin 09.01.2010 at 8:45 am #

I don’t know if its a stupid question… I fairly new to the sewing world. I would like to know, what kind of materials you use for lining for projects like these.
    thanks,
    zerin

21. Anna 09.01.2010 at 11:00 pm #

hey zerin, no such thing as a stupid question. I just use mostly quilting weight cottons, but for sure experiment and try other fabrics since it’s a pretty forgiving project!

22. britty 09.20.2010 at 7:23 am #

Hello Anna,
    today I made a pouch using your tutorial. Thanks for the very easy to follow directions!

Britta

23. Stacy 09.20.2010 at 6:24 pm #

I am an inexperienced sewer and am trying to make these. I do not understand:

“Take your 2 x 3 piece of fabric, fold right sides together the long way, sew. Turn right side out and press with the seam in the middle of the fabric.”

Do you do this for all 4 pieces? I don;t see the reduced size in the pictures. it looks like you used the 2×3 size pieces?

Sorry!

They are really cute.

24. Anna 09.21.2010 at 12:01 am #

hey stacey~ you’ll have four pieces, 2 for the exterior and 2 for the lining each measuring 4 x 6.25 each. The 2×3 piece is for the keyring loop. Hope that helps!

25. Stacy 09.21.2010 at 9:55 pm #

Thanks Anna! That clears it up.

26. FionaPoppy 09.29.2010 at 10:31 am #

I just wanted to say Thanks for this great tutorial. It was really quick and easy and it took me less than half an hour to make a little coin purse for my daughter to put her school lunch money in. She is thrilled with it. Thankyou!

27. Jess 10.11.2010 at 2:54 pm #

Anna! I love these and pretty much everything else you post! I made some as party favors for my little girls birthday party, she loved stuffing them with goodies for her friends. Thanks for the awesome tutorial, love following your blog. I made the clutch too, but forgot to take pictures :( You can see her party on my blog. http://suchislifephoto.com/blog/?p=292

28. Liz 10.18.2010 at 5:18 pm #

This is really great! Thanks for sharing. I will be featuring you on our blog ziggycrafts.blogspot.com I can’t wait to get started on mine!!

29. mossfamily 10.22.2010 at 9:03 pm #

Just wanted to tell you that i discovered your blog not too long ago & am in love! Thanks so much for all your hard work on these tutorials. I am very new to sewing & this tutorial gave me the courage to learn zippers! And these were so easy that i made 8 of them for gifts over two evenings after the kids were in bed. Thanks so much!

30. Kristin 11.11.2010 at 7:40 pm #

Awesome-tastic pouch Anna! Very easy instructions and so fast. Christmas gifts for all the little girls (and a few grown gals too) – check!

31. Grace Face 11.21.2010 at 12:18 pm #

brilliant tutorial! so quick and simple, i made one in less than 20 minutes!

32. Kristen 11.23.2010 at 11:00 pm #

I love these! I found you through a link on cluckclucksew. I will totally be making these for stocking stuffers this year!

33. Ruby 12.26.2010 at 1:36 pm #

Thanks you just saved me. I had a few last minute gifts to make. Made 3 of these in an hour.

34. Denise 01.06.2011 at 6:56 pm #

Thanks for helping me to sew a zipper for the first time! I just finished my second one.

35. Em 01.09.2011 at 5:34 pm #

These are so cute and fast – and saved me from having a ‘I can’t sew worth a crap’ type of day! I love the clear instructions – see my little pouch at http://emandthegang.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-tried.html
    Thanks again!

36. Anonymous 01.17.2011 at 11:05 am #

I love this project! But I have a question… I made this last night and couldn’t figure out how to sew around perimeter and leave an opening in the “lining” to flip it around. I had to leave an opening in the extererior fabric. What am I missing?
    Thanks!

37. Anna 01.17.2011 at 4:53 pm #

hi anonymous-
    you’ll start sewing at the lining, go all the way around, and stop about 3″ before you reach the point where you started sewing. Sounds like you just started in the wrong spot… hope that makes sense. :)
    anna

38. Cola 01.17.2011 at 6:26 pm #

Thank you Anna for this tutorial! We made a few last night! Pictures: http://madebycola.blogspot.com/2011/01/sunday-sewing.html

39. April 02.15.2011 at 2:12 pm #

Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I wanted to let you know that I blogged about it here (http://sewingnovice.com/2011/01/20/lil-cutie-pouches/)

40. Cookie N' Cream 02.17.2011 at 1:34 am #

Thanks Anna for the tutorial!! I have finally done my first zippered pouch, and started to make modifications to suit my needs!!! THANKS!!

41. recycledrats 02.28.2011 at 4:46 am #

I finally brought up the courage to stand up against my zipper phobia and made one of those little pouches today. It came out great! Thanks for the great tutorial!

42. Kelsey 03.04.2011 at 10:59 pm #

Hi, I just made one of these fabulous little pouches today. I’m very happy with it! Super cute and super quick. :) I’ve really enjoyed discovering your blog here. Keep it going. :)

43. Shannon 03.05.2011 at 7:18 pm #

I’m thinking about attempting this for a gift next week. (Making my first skirt today has me feeling invisible, I think!) As a novice sewer, can you explain what you mean by “interfaced” on the exterior fabric? Is that just the iron on stuff I’ve seen? Thanks so much for your great tutorials! ~Shannon

44. Christine 05.14.2011 at 10:41 pm #

this is pretty much the first project i’ve ever sewed! i just finished! and besides being in awe of my new found powers, i want to tell you how impressed i am with your tutorials! your step by step pictures are amazing. i never got confused and that’s saying a lot given this is my first real sewing attempt! thank you!

45. MiezelBags 05.26.2011 at 4:25 am #

Love it!

46. Make handmade 08.29.2011 at 11:06 am #

So great tutorial for women, i like it very much. … and i will make it, thanks…

47. Sonja Threadgill Nelson 10.30.2011 at 11:11 pm #

Nice!
    linked back

48. Clearly Opinionated 11.19.2011 at 12:22 am #

I found you through Pinterest, and I’ve made two so far. (with my own modifications, of course.) Thanks!

49. Mary 11.19.2011 at 12:53 am #

Thank you for this tutorial, Anna! I think my first attempt at a project like this turned out well and am looking forward to making more of them!

50. Sophia 12.19.2011 at 4:23 pm #

That tip, sewing around the perimeter and pushing the zipper towards the exterior fabrics… truly MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD for me… I’ve been making coin purses for friends as xmas gifts and they never came out right (needless to say that the very detailed instructions I had said nothing for this). Thanks so much for sharing!

51. Anonymous 04.28.2012 at 12:28 pm #

This is a great tutorial on putting in a zipper to a lined item. I have been unsewing and resewing from a different pattern, and THIS is the BOMB! Thank you for the great tutorial and the great picturs.

Mary Malone

52. Susie-Alice 05.15.2012 at 10:26 am #

This is so fantastic! Having made small purses from various patterns, this is the easiest one yet! Will definitely be using it again…and again!

53. Alexis 06.02.2012 at 12:21 pm #

I’ve made about 12 of these over the past couple of years. I keep forgetting to tell you how much I like this tutorial. I’m not a confident sewer and I found this super easy.

54. Anonymous 06.02.2012 at 8:14 pm #

is this in inches? or centimetres? thanks!

55. Anna 06.02.2012 at 9:01 pm #

Inches! :)

56. Rita Need help 06.09.2012 at 9:44 am #

I really need help with the zipper part?!

57. Rita needs help 06.09.2012 at 10:17 am #

I need help with the ones starting with lay down the first exterior fabric and ending with flip wrong sides together… Thank you I love your blogggg so muchhhhh

58. Anna 06.12.2012 at 3:44 pm #

Hi Rita!
    I guess I would suggest to just grab some scrap fabric and use a basting stitch (longest stitch on your machine) and just play around with it. email me with more questions okay?

59. JO 08.30.2012 at 8:36 pm #

THis is just a thank you note!!!Thank you s9o much! I just finished my first one! Let me congratulate you on how relatively easy your instructions made this project seem. Everything was easy to follow except when I tried to add the second side onto the zipper. It was a bit confusing. (to the get the correct sides facing the right way and stuff) besides that… this is a gorgeous project….simple, easy, and fast!

60. Anonymous 09.20.2012 at 3:09 pm #