30 Minute Modern Bed Skirt

I’ve always made my own bedskirts for my beds because I’m so cheap frugal.  I think it’s really inexpensive, modern and not a lot of frill.  I don’t like ruffles on bedskirts.  On dresses, yes, bedskirts = no.  What I do is buy an extra flat sheet that coordinates with my bedding (mine is from Ikea a couple years ago).  And since I have two comforter covers, I’m sort of making a double layer bedskirt by adding another layer on top of my bedskirt I made a while ago.  When I switch bedding, I’ll just flip up the different colored bedskirt, and tuck it in between the mattress & boxspring.  Hopefully my pictures won’t mix you up (I’m adding the dark blue layer over top of the sage green layer).

Ingredients:

• 1 flat bed sheet (mine was a queen size because our bed is a queen).
  • material to make the decking with (probably white muslin or other inexpensive fabric)
  • pinking shears (makes it even speedier so you don’t have to worry about finishing the seams)
  • thread

First measure the height you’ll need to make the bedskirt.  Measure from the floor to the top of the boxspring, plus a little extra.  Then measure the three sides of the bed, side, end, side.  Making sure you add a half inch or so for hemming.

Noodlehead   30 Minute Modern Bed Skirt tutorial sewing

Cut your pieces from the sheet.  This is the quick part because most of the sheet is already hemmed for you!

Noodlehead   30 Minute Modern Bed Skirt tutorial sewing

Sew the unfishished sides of the bedskirt sheet pieces.  Just turn under, iron, and sew.

Noodlehead   30 Minute Modern Bed Skirt tutorial sewing

Pin the pieces you just cut from the flat sheet right sides facing to the decking material.  Sew together using about a 1/2″ seam allowance. Do this for each side and end of bed.  I extended the piece a little longer than the decking so the boxspring won’t show through the corner as much.

Noodlehead   30 Minute Modern Bed Skirt tutorial sewing
Here’s a closeup of the corner.
Noodlehead   30 Minute Modern Bed Skirt tutorial sewing

You’re done! Put it on your bed!  If you want, add some ties to the corners to keep your boxspring from peeking out.  My bedskirt cost me about $15 and it matches my bedding perfectly!  You’ll have a bunch of extra fabric from the middle of the sheet, so make some matching throw pillows!

Let me know if you have any questions!  Thanks for reading!

, ,

14 Responses to 30 Minute Modern Bed Skirt

1. Shay 11.14.2009 at 12:26 pm #

This is a great idea, thanks!

2. jess 11.14.2009 at 4:56 pm #

i don’t know why i am afraid to do this! hehe. i have a pretty ugly bedskirt on my bed…but when we change things up in there, i will have to try this! thanks!

3. traci 11.15.2009 at 9:15 am #

I too am not a lover of the ruffle on bedskirts. This is such a great way to add color so nicely. I have been a bit afraid of the bedskirt, but you make it look so easy. Plus, using the pinking shears, having the fabric prehemmed…what a blessing. I am going to try this.

4. Care 11.15.2009 at 5:59 pm #

genius!

5. kathy 11.20.2009 at 3:41 pm #

This is a great idea! But what’s even more helpful is the idea to just leave both bedskirts on the bed (hits head)!

6. Wendy 01.24.2010 at 9:33 pm #

Hi, Anna! I made two of these this evening, and I’ll be blogging about them tomorrow. Took me more than 30 minutes, because I’m a great big klutz, but they look awesome and I’ll be thanking you every time I look at them!

7. Sew Much Ado 02.03.2010 at 4:40 pm #

Hey thanks for linking to me! I actually just was on your blog earlier today looking at your tutorial for MADE! Great job, I love your projects!

8. jaya pratheesh 02.04.2010 at 7:11 am #

i just got new box beds, and was wondering what to do about bedskirts! rthanks for the tute.. they look fantastic without the ruffly vintage look.

9. Katherine 02.04.2010 at 8:08 am #

Hi,
    This is the good blog with good images and good details. Please keep on posting the more stuff. I will like to hear more from you.
    Fine Linens

10. Melissa 04.12.2010 at 5:33 pm #

I just found this and it is crazy thinking that I had just thought of doing this last week but wasn’t sure how to! Thanks for the tutorial!

11. Emily G. 04.29.2010 at 11:08 pm #

great tutorial. LOVE your comforter by the way! where did you get it? onepinkpoppy(at)gmail(dot)com

12. ificould 05.13.2010 at 10:08 am #

Just found your blog and this tutorial. Love it- can’t wait to try it myself. I featured this tutorial today on my blog ificould-ificould.blogspot.com
    THanks for sharing!

13. Quilters Dream Patchwork 05.28.2010 at 7:38 am #

Great tutorial I will definately give it a try. I am new to blog land but there are so many nice people out there.
    Tess

14. DebiK 09.14.2011 at 3:11 pm #

THANK YOU!! I have for years gone without a bedskirt (buying King size quilts and comforters for my queen size bed…still shows though) because I’m too cheap to pay what they want for an extra tall bedskirt. I’ve for years thought I could make one, but have been afraid to make the attempt…thanks for making it simple…I will be rushing out for sheets today!