Boy’s Drawstring Backpack from Khaki Pants Tutorial

If you’re stopping over from MADE, thanks for visiting and be sure to take a look around at my other stuff.  Let’s hear it for the boys!
Noodlehead   Boys Drawstring Backpack from Khaki Pants Tutorial tutorial sewing tutorials bags wallets zips tutorials baby kids

Have a few old pairs of khaki pants laying around?  Maybe even some with a few stains on them?  Here’s your chance to turn your husband’s old khaki pants into a super cool drawstring backpack for your little guy.

You’ll need:
one pair khaki pants (actually enough fabric for the exterior of 2 backpacks)
1/2 yard for lining fabric
scraps for front zipper pocket
1/8″ cotton cording (approx. 3 yards), I found mine at Home Depot – 45′ for under $3, but you can also get cording at your local fabric store.
one 8″ zipper
thread!

Cut your pieces:
First, cut your pieces from the khaki pants.  Cut across the crotch section (like you’re making short shorts).  Then cut up the inseam of each leg of your pants.  Open up the fabric.  Cut two pieces 13″ wide by 16″ tall.
I chose to include the side seam towards the lower half of the fabric, but you can place it wherever works for your particular pair of pants.

From your lining fabric, cut 2 pieces 13″ wide by 16″ tall.  For the zipper portion of the bag cut two pieces 3″ tall by 13″ wide, two pieces 4.5″ tall by 13″ wide, and four pieces 2″ tall by 4″ wide.

Then cut two tabs that will attach the cording to the backpack 2″ tall by 4″ wide.  Fold them in half lengthwise right sides together and sew {1/4″ seam allowance}. Turn right side out and press.  Set aside.

Sew the zipper pocket: (you can omit the zipper and just make this portion a simple patchwork if don’t want a zippered pocket or if you really don’t like sewing with zippers, but come on, give it a try, it’s fun!)

Sandwich your zipper between two of the four small pieces, fabric right sides together.  Sew a 1/2″ seam being sure not to hit the little metal parts on your zipper.  Flip the pieces wrong sides together and iron.

Topstitch with about an 1/8″ seam and then again with another line of topstitching about a 1/4″ from the first line.  Add the same pieces sewn the same way to the other side of the zipper.

Now take the 4.5″ tall pieces and sandwich them around the top long edge of the zipper right sides facing together.  Sew using a zipper foot using a 1/4″ seam allowance.  Flip wrong sides together and press.  Next take the two 3″ tall pieces and sew them to the bottom long edge of the zipper.

Flip wrong sides together and press.  Switch back to your regular sewing foot and topstich on both the top and bottom long edges of the zipper using about an 1/8″ seam allowance.

Take the top of your assembled pocket piece and press it down about a 1/2 inch.  Open up the flap you just pressed (and making sure the bottom of the assembled pocket piece aligns with the bottom of the exterior piece) and sew the pieces together, sewing along that ironed crease.

Fold the pocket piece down and topstitch along the top edge.  Baste your pocket piece to the exterior of the bag about a 1/4″ from the edge on the two sides and bottom.  {Now is a great time to add some detail to the top of your bag such as a freezer paper stencil, applique or even a patch.}

Take the two tabs you made earlier and place them about 1.5″ from the bottoms of the bag on either side with the raw edges lining up with the raw edges of the exterior of the bag.  Baste.

Then, make two marks on either side of the top of the wrong side of the exterior of the bag.  The first mark is 1/2″ from the top and the second mark 3/4″ from the first mark.  You will be leaving a gap in between these two marks — this will be part of the casing for the drawstrings.

Place your two exterior pieces right sides together.  Sew together using a 1/2″ seam allowance, leaving the space between your two markings open.

Next, place the lining pieces right sides together and sew using a 1/2″ seam allowance leaving a 4-5″ opening in the bottom for turning.

Flip the lining piece right side out and place inside the exterior of the bag (right sides facing together).  Sew around the top edge of the bag using a 1/2″ seam allowance.

Turn bag right side out through the opening in the lining.  Sew the opening shut using a small seam allowance.  Press the top edge of the bag.

Sew around the top of the bag using about a 5/8″ seam allowance (this is making the casing for the drawstrings).

Cut your cording in half, each piece being approximately a yard and a half long (this length can be adjusted depending on how big your child is and if they’ll be wearing winter coats under the backpacks).  Using a safety pin, thread each cord through the openings left in the seams of the exteior.  Thread through one side and pull cording out through the same opening.  Do the same for the other side.  Tie the cords together through the tabs you made at the bottom of the bag.  You’re done!

There a lots of options for this bag.  Add a freezer paper stencil, an applique, or a patch to the bag to make it even more personalized.  You can also use ribbon or cotton webbing in place of the fabric tabs at the bottom of the bag.  Take this and make it your own!

, , , ,

93 Responses to Boy’s Drawstring Backpack from Khaki Pants Tutorial

1. steffany 02.03.2010 at 1:22 am #

This is so cute! I have been planning to make a bag for my son’s dance shoes, but wanted something very boyish and hadn’t found something I like. Thanks for sharing, the tutorial is great!

2. Marina 02.03.2010 at 1:29 am #

Very cool! Yours look super-sturdy and I love that they’re made from recycled pants….

3. Sarah 02.03.2010 at 1:42 am #

this is incredible! sooo cute

4. Care 02.03.2010 at 2:06 am #

LOVE it — so stinking cute! That zipper pocket is just plain GENIUS!

5. jess 02.03.2010 at 2:25 am #

adorable!

6. Rae 02.03.2010 at 3:00 am #

A W E S O M E !!!

7. Benglan 02.03.2010 at 7:38 am #

I’m checking out your blog for the first time and i really like what I see! :)
    Greetings from Sweden.

8. Louise 02.03.2010 at 7:41 am #

Sent over here by Dana, love it the blog! You are soo going into my Google Reader!

9. naomi 02.03.2010 at 7:56 am #

Anna, the bag is fantastic!!
    Zipper pouches make everything so much more fun, my kids love zips.
    Great tutorial!

10. Beth 02.03.2010 at 8:16 am #

I LOVE YOUR BAG and your blog!!! So glad I found it!! I love that you are using pants we already have ALL OVER THE HOUSE!!! Great ideas!

11. eloleo 02.03.2010 at 8:49 am #

I’m in love, this is so beautiful!!!

12. Kelly O. 02.03.2010 at 9:48 am #

okay seriously?
    you were cool before…
    but you’re even way cooler now!

13. cally 02.03.2010 at 9:49 am #

You’re totally on MADE Anna!! You’re so cool.

And I love this tutorial. You have helped me overcome my fear of zippers.

I thank you.

14. sarah 02.03.2010 at 10:19 am #

Can’t wait to try this! I am a mom of two girls too, but I have lots of friends with boys just waiting for a cool backpack like this!
    Sarah

15. Amber 02.03.2010 at 10:55 am #

I had stumbled upon your blog a long time ago, but finally spent some time browsing through this morning. you have a beautiful blog– you make some amazing things. i’m going to add you to my list of craft blogs to follow– you are inspirational! thanks for sharing all the great things you create!

16. Lizzie 02.03.2010 at 10:59 am #

Such a cute blog. Inspiring, fresh, colorful, beautiful photographs and lots of love put into it. I follow Dana’s blog….got your link there. Thanks for the tutorials! My favorite is the cargo pocket bag.

17. casserole 02.03.2010 at 11:07 am #

Oh. My. Stars. This is SO stinkin’ cute!!! I’m so sad that I have to spend my day cleaning and grocery shopping, because I seriously want to drop everything and make a stack of backpacks now. Who needs to eat, right?

I blogged your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

18. Simply Sara 02.03.2010 at 11:32 am #

I am totally going to raid my husbands closet now…
    Those are the cutest backpacks EVER!
    Thanks for sharing this awesome tutorial :)

19. sue 02.03.2010 at 11:54 am #

Love the bags. I wish I was better at adding zipper. I’ll have to give it a try again.

20. Antoinette 02.03.2010 at 12:13 pm #

These are SO GREAT! I love your combination of fabrics. Awesome tutorial. Thank you!

21. Chris 02.03.2010 at 12:16 pm #

Anna, this is darling. Thanks for the simple explanation on zippers. I’m so happy to have found your blog!

22. Vanessa 02.03.2010 at 12:18 pm #

Those bags are amazing! Very clever. The fabrics you chose are awesome as well. Go Anna!

23. adventure knitter 02.03.2010 at 12:34 pm #

Where do you find your fabric??? I’m expecting baby #4 (my second boy) and I’m trying to find some cute new fabrics to make stuff for him!!

24. ForeverYou 02.03.2010 at 1:57 pm #

Ho Fun Anna! Nice to meet you! I just found your blog throught Made! I am amazed ! You have such a beutiful things here ! I am now your follower! Can`t wait to see what else you come up with!

25. Ginger 02.03.2010 at 2:03 pm #

Love the bag. Can you tell me the name of the car fabric you used? My son would love it. Thanks.

26. Anna 02.03.2010 at 2:25 pm #

Thanks everyone, I’m really glad you like the backpacks (my daughters even love them!) As for the fabric question, I got the car fabric from Crafty Planet in Minneapolis (I was lucky enough to shop there in person, but here is their online store link): http://www.shopcraftyplanet.com/store/home.php
    They have tons of great japanese prints. The car one in particular is by kokka from the trefle collection.

27. Kimara@weefolkart 02.03.2010 at 3:56 pm #

I LOVE this backpack. The fact that your using old pants is icing on the cake. Plus… one of the best tutes I’ve seen. Easy to follow directions and great supportive pics! I’ll be linking on Facebook. Thanks :)

28. Nicole 02.03.2010 at 4:54 pm #

Fantastic! Even my little girl would love one of these and it will probably have to happen or else she will most like steal her little brother’s bag to hoard “treasures” in! Thanks so much for sharing :)

29. Allie 02.03.2010 at 6:12 pm #

Mmmmm…lovely tutorial!

30. Dahlia 02.03.2010 at 9:35 pm #

Brilliant – way better than the toolbelt idea thrown your way ;) You’re my sewing idol Anna!!

31. shawn & bekah 02.03.2010 at 11:04 pm #

brilliant! can’t wait to try it out. Where did you get your cute fabric? Loved the cars!

inthegrove5 (at) gmail (dot) com

32. sewtakeahike 02.03.2010 at 11:48 pm #

what a great tutorial Anna! I love the way you put fabrics together in your projects!

33. Heidi O'Barr 02.04.2010 at 1:47 am #

I was taking a look at your zippy wallet tutorial because I want to make my son a little wallet for his Birthday in March. And then i saw the car fabric with the blue polka dot fabric you used for your drawstring tutorial and I just love it and I was wondering if I could comission you to make a little zippy wallet for my son using that fabric,I would be willing to pay etc . . and I’m not a very good seamstress anyways. If you’d be willing to do it for me please email me and let me know. My name is Heidi heidiobarr@yahoo.com
    I know your busy, so just let me know!Thanks!

34. b'lota 02.04.2010 at 2:32 am #

This is a very cool project, thank you for sharing!

35. Kylie 02.04.2010 at 5:16 am #

Fantastic Tutorial – tankyou – think that I wil make a few of these for Birthday gifts:)

36. Skapat av mig 02.04.2010 at 6:45 am #

Wow! I love your blog!

37. Kari 02.04.2010 at 11:31 am #

Congratulations on being featured, Anna! Love the bag – nice work! Can’t wait to see all the boys’ fun stuff.

38. Nonna Beach 02.04.2010 at 1:50 pm #

Excellent tutorial and idea…love it ! My sewing machine has done nothing lately except repairs but oh, am I going to have some fun now that I have found your blog…thanks !

39. secret cake 02.04.2010 at 2:22 pm #

Lovely tutorial, and what a fun blog! Added to my favorites!

Take care.

40. SkrekkogGru 02.04.2010 at 3:28 pm #

I´m so happy I found your blog! You are inspiring!

41. Kari 02.04.2010 at 8:01 pm #

Love it! So adorable, what a great idea!

42. Melissa 02.04.2010 at 11:09 pm #

This is such a fab idea and tutorial. I have an 8 year old boy that does not get things sewn for him enough!! I think I’ll have to tackle this one!
    Thanks for the great idea, I love how you combined the brighter fabrics with the neutral background!!
    Melissa

43. Rachel 02.05.2010 at 9:19 am #

i have been thinking of this project all night! lol! I want to dive right in, but im having a hard time understanding one of the instructions. When you finish sewing the pocket piece and your instructions state to iron 1/2 inch fold…the sewing machine looks like (and instructions say) to sew on that fold…but then it says to fold it over and top stitch it. Thats confusing me. Can you clarify what that means? I really want to get this right…I want to make 2 of these for my boys (and THANK YOU for participating in Boys Month…as a mom of 4 boys, i am sooo happy!!!).

44. Anna 02.05.2010 at 9:57 am #

Rachel- I’m glad you’re giving it a try! You’ll just iron a fold to get the crease and then open the fold back up to sew along that line. The exterior of the pocket piece will touch the exterior of the bag, facing upward. then when you fold it down and topstitch it will line up with the bottom of the bag. Hope that helps!

45. Sarah Pead 02.05.2010 at 10:12 am #

I think I’m gonna have to make this fabulous little backpack. I have a good fried who’s getting ready to have her second child and I think her first child would absolutely love this!

P.S. Thanks for also showing how to sew a zipper. It’s one of the big areas of sewing I have yet to tackle b/c well…it’s kinda intimidating…

46. Meg 02.05.2010 at 11:35 am #

Thanks so much for this!!! I’ve been wanting to make a bag for my little guy for church to take all this little “distractors” in. This will be perfect! Very very cute!

47. Sara 02.09.2010 at 12:05 am #

I made one! Thanks so much for the zipper tutorial. Zippers give me nightmares but your instructions made it so simple. Thanks a bunch. If you want to see mine, it’s on my blog.
    seamseweasy.blogspot.com

Thanks again!

48. kiki 02.12.2010 at 3:19 pm #

Hi, what a cool bag for a boy! I`m a mom of an almost 4 years old boy and he made me sew! Thanx for the great tutorial. I guess I have to read it a few more times to understand every step but a great opportunity to fresh up my english!
    Happy day,
    kiki

49. Crystal Stanworth 02.27.2010 at 2:09 am #

thanks soooooo much for the tutorial. i just made one for my little girl (sorry, no boys yet, lol) and it turned out fabulously! awesome instructions!

50. sugabeats 03.04.2010 at 2:28 am #

Thank you so much! I made this for my 2 year old son and he just loves it!

51. nic 03.06.2010 at 9:24 pm #

LOVITY LOVE this tutorial. finished mine just in the nick of time for giftage purposes (a nephew’s big day), and i ended up having to make a few adjustments due to lack of proper planning (velcro instead of zipper, binding instead of cotton cording), but in spite of that it turned out beautifully. grazie, anna. you utterly rock.

52. kate 03.09.2010 at 4:26 am #

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

53. Di 04.12.2010 at 6:36 am #

Great tutorial! I have made a similar drawstring backpack for my son a while ago, but I love the way you’ve detailed this one- nice pocket and a great reuse/recycling project too! Thanks for sharing.

54. Maria 04.15.2010 at 6:49 pm #

awesome idea, just made one for my sister to use as an extra little bag and she loves it :)

55. naresh 05.21.2010 at 1:37 am #

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

56. Susan 06.01.2010 at 11:13 pm #

wow. i’ve been saving boxes of clothes to do things like this…and now I know what to do with them. my husband thanks you because he hates that i save boxes of old clothes…so nice to find a kindred spirit in hording clothes!

57. beckabowers 06.11.2010 at 7