here we go: my creative space

If you’re stopping over from Bloom, thanks for stopping by and make sure you take a look around!

The sewing room/play room got finished up last month, somehow I just couldn’t bear to edit the pictures.  I was afraid how bad they would turn out.  It’s such a sunny room I didn’t think it would photograph well.  Anyway, I’m happy how these look and glad to finally share it with you!
I did start off with a majority of the pieces in the room being ones I already owned.  I made a fun trip to Ikea Twin Cities to pick up the expedit bookselves and rug and a few accessories.  The wardrobe is fill with my clothes and shoes (not fabric like you might think, or like I might LOVE).  Our house has only one closet!  Apparently back in 1950 there wasn’t much need for closet space, go figure.  So anyway, I get this wardrobe while my husband gets the lone closet.  The red chair I stole from my daughter’s room.
I had gotten this bookshelf as a window bench type seat.  It provides some nice pretty storage space for books and toys and all things kid.  I do hope to put some drawer inserts in place of the white boxes, you know, to store more art supplies and paper and tons of tiny toys that seem to accumulate in the blink of an eye.  I adore the prints I purchased from Printspace.  And of course our indistructable kids craft table is a must have.
Here’s my main workspace.  I was lucky enough a couple years ago to get the desk and chair and wall shelf, I love having such a nice BIG desk.  I spray painted my thread rack and bulletin board frame an off white to coordinate with the room.
Here’s a closeup of the window bench seating area.  I thought about making some cushions for on top, but I figured they be tossed on the floor a majority of the time.  I think I’ll wait until the girls get a little older and maybe even when they decide it’s not so fun to color on the furniture.
This lovely unit stores most of my fabric and notions.  I love it!  The drawer inserts in the bottom are the best, they don’t look like much, but compared to what I was using, they’re great and it makes thing really easy to find.
My fabric stash.  Up top I have the jars filled with buttons, zippers, and extra spools of thread.  The basket contains my grandma’s vintage fabric.
An extra set of shelves never hurts.  Just a few pretty items to look at and some extra needles.
My workhorse sewing machine, gifted to me by my Uncle (and you won’t believe my luck here), a sewing machine repair guy!
One of the best things about this room is that I think it’ll be really easily converted back into a bedroom once my daughters get a little older and need more space.  All the furniture is really versatile and will work with any decorating scheme they might dream up.
About the Paint:
The blue is Behr (from Home Depot): Balmy Seas

The green is Behr (from Home Depot): Grass Cloth

That about wraps it up, I have a whole set of pics up in my flickr photostream, please take a look at those if you want to see more.  I added a bunch of notes as to what stuff is hidden where.

64 Responses to here we go: my creative space

1. Melissa 02.23.2010 at 11:53 pm #

It is such a beautiful room!!! And so well organized..
    I love that blue and green, I have the same colors in my craft room…and keep my fabric on my expedit bookshelf too!!!
    Don’t you just LOVE IKEA???? They have the greatest stuff…

2. Vanessa 02.23.2010 at 11:58 pm #

Your room turned out so well!!! I’m sure you and the girls will definitely enjoy it for a long time to come.

3. Melissa 02.24.2010 at 12:00 am #

If I tookthe time to fold my fabric so small and neat it would never get pawed through! You must have great self control. I enjoy your room and love that you share it with your children.

4. Jennadesigns 02.24.2010 at 12:20 am #

Looks absolutely great! What a joy to work in … and with your girls alongside you! I love the wall colors you picked – very relaxing. So jealous you have an ikea by you. I’d love some of those bookcases but don’t want to drive to chicago to get them!

5. Adventures in Dressmaking 02.24.2010 at 12:22 am #

I looooove those wall colors together, you did an amazing job! Especially with all the great white accents. So cute. That rug is awesome, too! Lucky kids that get to play there ;)

6. T-rexy 02.24.2010 at 12:22 am #

Love it! What a BEAUTIFUL and inspiring space! Love your blog, too!

7. One Flew Over 02.24.2010 at 12:25 am #

What a beautiful space!

8. Kylie 02.24.2010 at 1:07 am #

What agreat room – well done. I am impressed – I am attempting to talk my kids into sharing a room at the moment – was not having much luck until my little miss went for a playdate today and her friend shared a room and they had a playroom:)

9. Jessica 02.24.2010 at 1:15 am #

You have a fantastic space to work in! I think I need to have a major overhaul to get my stuff as tidy as yours!
    Very inspiring!

10. Leigh 02.24.2010 at 1:36 am #

Ooooh that’s gorgeous! I’m so jealous of your natural light- My sewing space is in the basement. Your idea to paint the spool holder is brilliant, so much nicer than the plain wood. :)

11. jess 02.24.2010 at 1:38 am #

Anna! I LOVE this room! gorgeous. love the two colors together and the rug pulls everything together so well! it’s so clean and fresh! I wish any of my rooms looked like this. ;)

12. the cookie cutter 02.24.2010 at 5:15 am #

Wow Anna! Your room is gorgeous!!!!!!! The colours and everything just work and look so fun and happy! What a lovely space to be creative in:) Enjoy! Nadine xx

13. naomi 02.24.2010 at 7:40 am #

Anna, that’s one impressive sewing room! Kids can play while you sew, how functional.

14. Lynette 02.24.2010 at 7:49 am #

That looks awesome….great job!!!

15. Dreamer Queen 02.24.2010 at 9:29 am #

it’s perfect~!!

16. Koshy 02.24.2010 at 10:06 am #

a beajtiful room! i would lov to work in such a room!

17. Kari 02.24.2010 at 11:02 am #

Wow – you did an awesome job! I love love love this room. Here’s to many years creating in this great space.

18. Care 02.24.2010 at 12:16 pm #

FA-HA-HAAA-BULOUS!! I love all that natural light! Your colors are gorgeous, and your furniture choices are absolutely perfect!

JEALOUS!! :o)

19. RosaMarĂ­a 02.24.2010 at 12:26 pm #

wow!! i love your place!!! it is so bright, colorful and pretty!!!

20. Vanessa 02.24.2010 at 12:33 pm #

The room looks amazing! I’m sure you and the girls will enjoy spending time in there. And congrats on having over 500 followers! That’s awesome!

21. TaraB 02.24.2010 at 1:11 pm #

I’m redoing my sewing space and I absolutely love this!! Where did you get the bookcase? I have an IKEA near me and would love to head there to get that type of space!!!

22. Carrie 02.24.2010 at 1:27 pm #

I love the rug! Where did you find it?

23. PurpleGoddess 02.24.2010 at 1:55 pm #

OMG, you have inspired me to repaint my office/craft room! It’s a terrible shade of yellow right now (I loved it in the can, not so much on the walls). Our office/craft rooms is almost completely furnished by Ikea, too, gotta love that place!

24. Tiffanee 02.24.2010 at 2:21 pm #

Wow!! Love it!

25. Ellen 02.24.2010 at 2:38 pm #

Ooooh, it is lovely! I am a little bit jealous! ;-) Enjoy it!

26. Jeannie 02.24.2010 at 6:03 pm #

Awesome!! you did a wonderful job and it’s nice the kids are right there to keep an eye on as well. Love the bright cheerfulness of everything, it says a lot about you:)

27. Happy Together 02.24.2010 at 6:23 pm #

It’s beautiful!! What a fun place it must be to craft in :)

28. Mary 02.24.2010 at 7:23 pm #

Wow, this rooms looks fantastic! I love how sunny it is, and I love your fabric and notions storage center. What a great room!

29. Marina 02.24.2010 at 8:06 pm #

Oh, I love it Anna! The walls, the rug and everything look just stunning. I’m sure your already amazing creativity will soar in your fabulous space! (And I can’t believe your uncle is a sewing machine repairer!)

30. Dahlia 02.24.2010 at 10:17 pm #

You did an amazing job! It looks like something I’d tear out of a magazine and keep in my “dream home” binder – seriously! I love the white furniture you picked up and that the girls get to play and craft while you sew. Smart :)

31. dana 02.25.2010 at 3:35 am #

anna, very cool to see your space!
    I really love the blue wall (and the little backpack on the chair :))
    Great room! so sunny and bright.

32. Taly 02.25.2010 at 4:33 am #

That really look great!

33. sneezerville 02.25.2010 at 9:54 am #

wow. i have a bag in my closet full of yarn, my fabric on a shelf in my bathroom, my sewing machine in the bathroom, and a take them to the kitchen when i am working on something. weird, huh?

34. Kelly 02.25.2010 at 10:25 am #

Beautiful! I’m trying to find a paint color for my office (aka craft room) that is similar to the blue you have here. Can you tell me what color you used?

So bright and cheery, and clean! Excellent job!

35. Sew Much Ado 02.25.2010 at 3:30 pm #

I love it Anna! I think it just may be the motivation I needed to get my sewing room in order, it’s been a disaster for months! So refreshing.

36. Amy 02.25.2010 at 8:39 pm #

Seriously, a sewing machine repair guy??? Some people have all the luck! I like your big sewing table/desk. That would be very handy.

37. Sarah 02.25.2010 at 9:05 pm #

Oh my word, that looks absolutely perfect! Love everything in every photo. The colours are heavenly also. Well done on a fab job.

38. Erin 02.26.2010 at 2:55 pm #

I love it! What a fantastic family room. Fun times for all!

39. Deanna 02.26.2010 at 5:49 pm #

What a beautiful happy room!! Love all the colors!

40. Natalie 02.26.2010 at 9:03 pm #

Gorgeous!!! I love the blue and green paint you chose.

41. Anna 02.27.2010 at 3:55 pm #

Thanks everyone for such sweet comments, it was a fun process! The paint colors are from behr (Home Depot) the green is Grass Cloth and the blue is called Balmy Seas!

42. bekah 03.01.2010 at 6:38 pm #

i am so in love with this room! secretly craving a space of my own… someday :] for now, i steal space wherever i can get it. this, by the way, is the reason i will be stopping by your blog everyday till forever- cause these pics captured my heart. fun times.

43. Lizinka 03.03.2010 at 4:11 pm #

Fantastic Anna! I just love it. Maybe I will do the same to Cam’s room after he moves in with his bro! :)

44. cally 03.13.2010 at 11:25 am #

I love the colors Anna. And I stared at your fabric stash too long. swoon.

45. Melissa 03.16.2010 at 12:05 pm #

I Love this room! I hope i can get this organized one day!

46. Lizzy 03.21.2010 at 12:42 pm #

This room is great. I love how you’ve been able to mix the kids’ and your stuff so well and still have it look fantastic. It’s something I’ve been wanting to do in our own home, but I fear our little guy is still too young (20 months) and might be too much into touching the sewing machine, etc. Might have to rethink that… :)

47. Sandrine 04.27.2010 at 3:01 am #

Your creative space is really amazing!!! I have half a room all for myself but it is yet to furnish… Thanks for sharing these photos (I loved the before/after ones)!

48. down2earthsmiles 04.29.2010 at 1:46 am #

Hi there! I love the room. It is so lively. I plan on repainting my work room as well. Just wondering what colour you used for your side of the wall (where you work table is placed)? I have a similar colour in mind.

49. SpoedieZ 04.29.2010 at 3:53 am #

I like your style!

50. Anna 05.01.2010 at 10:39 pm #

Just adding the paint color info.
    The blue is Behr (from Home Depot): Balmy Seas
    The green is Behr (from Home Depot): Grass Cloth

51. Kitten's Lost Her Mittens 09.07.2010 at 10:54 pm #

It’s gorgeous! So inspirational.

52. Carlo 09.23.2010 at 6:43 pm #

weeryrey

53. Stephanie Rose 01.07.2011 at 8:55 am #

This is great. My favorite part is the color of the walls, so calming. I cannot wait to have my own space to sew. I would love to not have to be at the kitchen table all the time. I like that it’s in the playroom! Here’s my question, how do you keep them from playing with your fabrics, thread spools, sewing machine!? LOL – my youngest stands by mine and stares at it, slowly creeping his hand to it, until I see him from across the room. Once I say NO, he runs away laughing… Apparently, my 16-month-old seems to think that “NO” is some really fun game to play. :o)

54. Kelly T 01.26.2011 at 4:41 pm #

I have the same rug in my sewing/creative room. I love the colors and the shapes just cheer me up instantly.

55. queenpeach20 01.27.2011 at 5:37 pm #

What a great room. The colors must help with creativity….enjoy your space.

56. Miss Sews-it-all 03.07.2011 at 1:38 pm #

What a wonderful workspace! I love that you’ve got an area right in the corner for your girls to play, that’s brilliant. I end up giving my girl a few special toys to play with in my sewing room, but always have to keep an extra watch out so she doesn’t decide to reach up and grab any pins, needles, or scissors!

57. time to enjoy 03.30.2011 at 7:48 am #

very peaceful workspace. like to have one like yours

58. Anonymous 05.05.2011 at 2:16 am #

I really like your patchwork… and u got well organized for ur working place.

59. hanni 02.08.2012 at 1:03 am #

hi,
    love your working space. can I post one of your photos into my blog, of course with link back here ? thanks, you really inspire me.

60. Nilufer 03.03.2012 at 5:51 am #

Such a tidy and fresh and airy room. Wish I could make mine similar…

61. Anonymous 03.13.2012 at 1:06 pm #

I love this room. Where did you get the cute table and chairs?

62. Anna 03.19.2012 at 3:56 pm #

anonymous, they’re from ikea! I think they still carry the item. :)

63. Business Solutions 11.06.2012 at 6:49 am #

Your workspace is just so comfortable and inviting. The table is one fine space to work on your laptop. Such an organised office you have there too.