pet bed

And her first appearance on the blog….our Beagle Pepper!  Sorry if there aren’t a lot of dog fans reading this, but I had a really fun opportunity pop up!

I’ve been volunteering for my local Humane Society, the Coulee Region Humane Society for almost five years now.  Each year they have a banquet that raises funds for yearly activities and supplies.  It’s a really heart-warming event because they invite families who have adopted pets from the Humane Society and ask them to share their happy stories of how the pet changed their lives.

I was able to donate this pet bed to their silent auction.  I had actually hoped to make a quilt, but just couldn’t squeak out enough time to get one going.  I had seen a cool pet bed in a BHG magazine earlier this year, but couldn’t bear to spend the $10 or whatever it is to actually buy the magazine.  Lucky for me this tutorial from Sew4Home showed up!

I stayed up way too late the night before the banquet making it, but I’m really please with how it came together.  The only difficulty I had was with the gusset section stretching and then not aligning with the top and bottom parts.  I had planned on this happening, so I started stitching at a point where I could take in some extra fabric if I need to (and I did).  If anyone has ever done a project similar to this, I’d love to hear if there’s a good way of avoiding that problem.

Anway, the bed raised a nice chunk of money and I was pleased to see the new pet bed owner walk away with a smile!

23 Responses to pet bed

1. Sarah 03.09.2010 at 11:46 pm #

Oh that’s excellent! Love the fabrics you chose too. And your Pepper looks like a lovely friend.

2. JeolsliesMomma 03.10.2010 at 12:27 am #

Awesome! I need to make my doggies some nice beds, I’ll have to check out that tutorial.

3. Care 03.10.2010 at 1:32 am #

FABULOUS doggie bed — and Pepper looks so soft and sweet! Pets make life better! :o)

4. T-rexy 03.10.2010 at 2:10 am #

This is wonderful, fellow beagle owner! My beagle, Ruby, is such a good (bad) dog (you probably know what I’m talking about; the barking, the food stealing, the adorable wickedness). We love her- she’s an old girl (16 going on 17), but still beautifully wicked as ever! Great cause and kudos!

5. Mary 03.10.2010 at 2:36 am #

Oh I love this! There is one very lucky puppy out there getting a new bed! :-) Well worth all your hard work, I’d say!

6. Kylie 03.10.2010 at 4:01 am #

Lovely bed for a furry friend. Well done:) We are a dog owner here too. An English Springer Spaniel.

7. Jeannie 03.10.2010 at 8:02 am #

What a nice bed and the cutest doggie!!
    You did a great job.

8. Sonia 03.10.2010 at 8:51 am #

very cool! Pepper is a cutie! I love beagles. My dad got a beagle for the purpose of hunting when I was a kid…and well, let’s just say I turned our Beagle (Penny) into a pet :) She became too domesticated to become a good hunter. LOL. I love the petbed. Maybe i’ll make one and donate it to our local shelter. Thanks for the idea :)

9. Jane 03.10.2010 at 9:20 am #

The fabrics are adorable. Very nice idea!

10. Christine 03.10.2010 at 10:13 am #

That is wonderful! We have adopted all our doggies and I love to see other people helping out as well. It is an adorable pet bed!
    coveredbydesign at hotmail.com

11. Jill 03.10.2010 at 11:15 am #

OH, I am a dog lover and your Pepper and the dog bed you made are wonderful!

12. Leslie 03.10.2010 at 5:49 pm #

this looks so great. i love how your dog is sitting so nicely, not on it.

13. Heather 03.10.2010 at 8:03 pm #

I love dogs! That’s a beautiful bed. I’ve had the same issues with gusseting, and the only fix I’ve ever come across was using a ton of pins! How’s that for a non-answer? But it’s super cute!

feathertysews.blogspot.com

14. Joanna 03.10.2010 at 8:24 pm #

I love your picture of Pepper. I had a beagle, Spot, who was the gentlest dog we ever had. When I was making chair cusions, I had the same problem with the corners not matching up when sewing on the second section. I ended up sewing it on by hand and that worked perfectly. I wish I knew what the real secret is to making them match using the machine, unless a walking foot is used, but that won’t work with cording.

15. dana 03.10.2010 at 11:17 pm #

very cool! I’m not an animal person. But this is great! I like the color scheme.

16. paperseed 03.11.2010 at 1:29 am #

Pepper’s a cutie and nice job on the bed!

17. Kari 03.11.2010 at 11:20 am #

Adorable dog bed! Our big lovable mutt is a rescue and I love that you help out the Humane Society. Nice work!

18. Valerie 03.11.2010 at 2:35 pm #

Caught a comment under the dog bed post back on Sew4Home — the author said the gusset IS too big. She’s made changes in the tutorial to reflect the new measurements. Were you the commenter?? *grin*

19. sewtakeahike 03.11.2010 at 6:43 pm #

It’s so very cute Anna! hmmm, I did a custom order for some bench covers with gussets last summer and I don’t remember them stretching at all, but I was using home dec material. Maybe that was the difference since you used fleece on one side? Maybe if you serged the fleece edge first, it would turn out a little more even next time?

20. Southern Gal 03.16.2010 at 10:44 pm #

We had a beagle named Annie. She passed away last year. We miss her so.

21. jandkturnbull 03.16.2010 at 11:02 pm #

I was going to suggest using a walking foot to avoid that stretching of the gusset issue- but it could be tricky with the cording. Some machines have a functiong where you can reduce the pressure on the machine’s foot- that may help as well. You could also try iron on interfacing to help stabilise the gusset and stop it stretching. Love the dog and the bed!

22. Jenniffier 03.28.2010 at 1:16 am #

I have been looking for a doggy bed to replace the puppy version for my German Shepherd. It went in the trash a few months ago since he chewed up a couple times and grew out of, even though it was the largest we could find at a pet store. Thanks for sharing, I may have to make it much much bigger but your inspired me to try. Yours looks wonderful.

23. Katie 12.02.2010 at 1:24 pm #

Just saw this, Anna…It’s great! I had to figure out a way to make a pet bed with no zipper. Our Great Dane has a thing for zippers. I just ended up making it like an overlapping pillowcase.