boy stuff – quilt edition

Noodlehead   boy stuff   quilt edition sewing

Here’s the quilt I finished yesterday to go with the crib bedding.  I felt so much better after writing this post, and after getting this quilt from the dryer, I realized how much I love making things.  Maybe it’s not something extraordinary, but I made it with lots of love and happiness.

Noodlehead   boy stuff   quilt edition sewing

I’m so in love with quilts.  I love looking at quilting blogs and groups like Fresh Modern Quilts on flickr.  I surely cannot make quilts all the time.  For me they’re just too time consuming, and I like quick projects that I can fling out of my machine in a couple of hours.  But there’s just something so lovely about a quilt, even just the idea of one.

Noodlehead   boy stuff   quilt edition sewing
I used a solid piece of flannel for the backing.  I wanted it to be soft and snuggly, and it is.  Can’t wait to wrap it up and give it away.
Noodlehead   boy stuff   quilt edition sewing
{this quilt measures about 40″ by 57″}
have a great weekend and an early happy father’s day to my dad and my husband!

, , ,

52 Responses to boy stuff – quilt edition

1. tinajo 06.19.2010 at 7:09 am #

It´s absolutely beautiful! I can´t quilt but maybe I´ll learn one day – until then, I´ll just enjoy watching gorgeous quilts from other hands than mine. :-)

2. allison t 06.19.2010 at 7:17 am #

Ooh! Wish that were coming my way! Such beautiful work and the colours are just gorgeous. You can tell you love making them.

3. Freddie 06.19.2010 at 7:22 am #

It’s nice to see more boy oriented sewing. This is gorgeous.

4. shelia 06.19.2010 at 7:36 am #

Darlin…one lucky boy to have that to snuggle with as he grows up!!!

5. PY 06.19.2010 at 7:43 am #

Such a beautiful piece of work ! I love the colours very much !

6. The Sewist 06.19.2010 at 7:53 am #

Anna it turned out great..i love giving and to give away something that i’ve made is such a wonderful feeling :)

A quilt is something i am yet to try i just like you tend to lean on the quick project which doesnt take that long to finish..however quilts are so beautiful that i can see myself making one in the not to distant future :)

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique

7. Rhonda 06.19.2010 at 8:09 am #

You did a fantastic job!

I too have steered clear of quilting, cause I’m still just a little afraid to try… but you’re inspiring me!

8. Laura 06.19.2010 at 8:17 am #

I think it is lovely! Fantastic job!!!

9. Jennifer 06.19.2010 at 8:23 am #

It’s beautiful. I have a quilt top finished, but have yet to quilt it. I’m a little intimidated by it.

10. Tara 06.19.2010 at 8:29 am #

This quilt is darling!! I’m saving it to make something similar – your quilting lines are great.

I love making quilts but they don’t scare me because I really envision them as three separate projects. If I get all the cutting done, finished a project! If I get all the piecing finished, check! And once it’s a finished quilt, even better!

I think it’s just talking myself into it, but I L-O-V-E my finished quilts so much that it’s worth getting over the initial “Not sure I can do this one…” feelings.

11. Morgane @ Bear,Dolly and Moi 06.19.2010 at 8:34 am #

your quilt is beautiful, yet so simple, which makes it even more difficult to design.
    I always think the best parts of making a quilt is thinking about the person who is going to receive it… and see how it turns out after coming out of the dryer!

12. Amy 06.19.2010 at 9:00 am #

I think it is fantastic. Certainly not all of us can make quilts all the time, even if we’d like to. I don’t have the time with 3 little ones either. And they cost a bit to make too. I hear you!

13. Ady 06.19.2010 at 9:17 am #

That is such a beautiful quilt – I love the colours so much. Very well done!

14. michelleml 06.19.2010 at 10:20 am #

I love it. I’m expecting a boy in Dec and i love the colors you used
    Thanks for sharing
    Michelle

15. Dahlia 06.19.2010 at 10:23 am #

It’s beautiful! I love the fabrics and I love how it “puckers” just like a handmade quilt should. Great job Anna – there’s one lucky boy out there!! :)

16. Sarah R 06.19.2010 at 11:28 am #

Awesome! Way better than anything you’ll find in the store!

17. Marybeth 06.19.2010 at 11:29 am #

That quilt is adorable! I love making them as gifts, too. They are such treasures!

18. Jeannie 06.19.2010 at 11:50 am #

That turned out totally adorable! It’s hard to make things for boys that are really cute and that is really cute!

19. EHC 06.19.2010 at 12:30 pm #

A dear friend of mine just lost her mother and I have a stack of ladybug (her mother’s favorite) flannel just waiting to be made into a quilt as a comforting reminder of her loved one. I was trying to figure out a pattern that wouldn’t be too time-consuming because I’d like to make it sooner rather than later. Looking at your pattern of strips of various sizes would be a perfect fit for what I intend to make. Thank you for the very timely inspiration!

20. Lauren 06.19.2010 at 1:03 pm #

love it!!! i dont know how your do it! i made a quilt about a year ago but it was MUCH less complex than yours and only took a few days. here is the link for my beginners quilt…you can pass on some professional tips to me!

21. Melissa 06.19.2010 at 1:11 pm #

Beautiful quilt!

22. Mary 06.19.2010 at 1:21 pm #

Great quilt, Anna! I love the colors and the simple design. I’m sure your brother and his wife will love it!

23. Fleur 06.19.2010 at 1:47 pm #

Ow! I just love this one..
    I love the colours + the patterns!

With love, Fleur

24. Blanca 06.19.2010 at 2:08 pm #

Wow, what a beautiful quilt! :) I just love it.

25. Cyndi 06.19.2010 at 2:11 pm #

Very nice quilt! And btw, quilting is only time-consuming if you actually finish the quilt. Just making quilt tops can be very fast!!!! You should see how many unfinished quilts I have!

26. The Paisley Abbey 06.19.2010 at 4:41 pm #

I love this quilt. The colors and design are beautiful!

27. Christie 06.19.2010 at 4:48 pm #

What a beautiful quilt, Anna!

28. Anne D 06.19.2010 at 5:19 pm #

The quilt looks great. I also read a lot of blogs and spend a lot of time on planning and dreaming of making quilts. I love making quick quilts and usually look for quick and easy patterns that look great.

29. Nancy's Couture 06.19.2010 at 5:35 pm #

The quilt is beautiful. I always love your choice of fabrics!!!!!

30. Tami B 06.19.2010 at 6:02 pm #

I love the quilt – and your blog. After your last post, I thought maybe you had decided blogging was not for you anymore. I truly enjoy your projects and you!

31. Maxabella 06.19.2010 at 7:14 pm #

Are you sure this quilt is not something extraordinary? I think it is.

32. OkayLetsGoKnitting 06.19.2010 at 7:48 pm #

What a lovely quilt. I’m sure the little guy will get much use out of it. Can’t you see him now, schlepping it around the house, making tents…and falling asleep with it?!

33. Griffith Family 06.19.2010 at 9:32 pm #

You have great vision and skill. Truly a beautiful and sweet quilt.

34. That's A Stitch 06.19.2010 at 9:59 pm #

That is beautiful. I am just amazed how much love and creativeness goes into each quilt. I love quilts but they stress me out, so I have only made one. Great Job!

35. Becky and Tyler 06.20.2010 at 12:02 am #

I don’t know how you can say that that quilt is nothing extraordinary because it is!!! Gorgeous quilt. My mother and I both quilt and you’re right, so much goes into them but they are well loved by those who get them.

36. Leah 06.20.2010 at 2:19 am #

That has to be the BEST boys quilt Ive ever seen! Awesome job!

37. Kim 06.20.2010 at 4:49 am #

Lovely quilt – I’m like you and prefer quick projects. I would love to have the patience (and skill) to make a quilt.

38. barefootbeadshawaii 06.20.2010 at 5:59 am #

Inspirational… I still have to quilt a blanket I made over a year ago. Time to bust out the ol’ machine! Love the quilt!

39. coffeerocketfairytale 06.20.2010 at 6:50 am #

It looks really nice! I wished I could quilt, nut I’ve never learned it…

40. Annemarie's Breiblog 06.20.2010 at 5:23 pm #

Hi, thank you so much for posting the lovely picture on my blog. If you like to add something again you’re very welcome!
    I have a similar post every Saturday.
    Bye!
    Annemarie

41. Leah 06.20.2010 at 6:00 pm #

Oh the quilt is so pretty. I too have been in love with quilts suddenly and am attempting to make one for my son to move into his big boy bed.

42. Rachel 06.20.2010 at 7:59 pm #

Love it, Anna! The colours are perfect for a little boy’s room – and match the bedding wonderfully. I like quick projects too. (Almost) instant gratification on a small quilt or something like that sometimes helps get you moving on the bigger projects!

43. Kari 06.20.2010 at 10:21 pm #

Oh, quilts. I love quilts the same way you do. This one is beautiful! For some reason, summers have been quilting season for me the last couple years…hot weather and a lap full of batting and cotton…hmm. Keep ‘em coming…with all that extra time.

44. alayne 06.21.2010 at 8:52 am #

So beautiful! I love the fabrics.

45. Tricia 06.21.2010 at 12:47 pm #

I’m loving this quilt. Polk-a-dots are my favorite. It is nice to have some cute options for boys, but this in my opinion could be gender neutral….even better. Thanks for sharing.

Tricia leafytreetospot.blogspot.com

46. Vanessa 06.21.2010 at 2:38 pm #

Love the quilt Anna! Can’t wait to see it in person. Have you mailed off the fabric scraps yet?? I have so many ideas for them. I can’t wait to dive in.

47. dana 06.22.2010 at 1:30 pm #

oh wow. that’s beautiful. well done anna! I need to take up quilting one day. You are so talented.

48. 2 Giggle Boxes 06.24.2010 at 2:31 pm #

It’s beautiful! My mom makes quilts for all of my friends who have babies. They are truly the best gift and a gift that can be passed down. I am sure he will love it! Great job!

49. Dolly 06.27.2010 at 9:26 pm #

This quilt is OUTRAGEOUSLY GORGEOUS……I want it myself ! What a blessed baby to receive this !

50. Jennifer DeDonato 07.02.2010 at 11:11 pm #

Your quilt is just wonderful…the colors are perfect!

51. kandice 11.08.2014 at 11:30 pm #

Would you share your pattern? I love this. :-)

• Anna Graham 11.10.2014 at 10:52 pm #

Hi Kandice,
      Thank you! For this quilt you’ll just cut strips of fabric various heights by the full width (usually 42-44”) and piece them together to get the height you want. :) Hope that helps.