underwear (updated with additional info)

no, not for me.  My husband asked me, “are you going to put pictures of those on your blog?”.  My answer, “yes”.  They’re just too cute not to show off.  I love love this pattern.

| Children’s Undies Pattern by That Darn Kat |

They are such a good fit!  I really was hesitant to make these because they seemed like an awful lot of work, and because I wasn’t sure if the girls would like them or if they would even fit them.  Well, I got over it, made them, and they’re a hit!  I think they’re so adorable, and the size 2′s are just too cute.

And for all you sewers with boys, they also come with directions and patterns to make boy’s undies, too!

One of the things I love about them is that they’re nice and fitted.  No gaping leg holes because of the nice stretchy knit.  Will be making more once potty training is in full swing!

** UPDATE **
  • pattern goes up to size 8
  • knits came from Sewzanne’s and Hobby Lobby
  • pattern can also be purchased here at Pink Chalk Fabrics
  • you don’t need a serger to make these!!!  :)

, ,

48 Responses to underwear (updated with additional info)

1. Jacqui 07.16.2010 at 6:13 am #

Does the pattern come in big girl sizes too? ;) Sadly That Darn Kat appears to be out of the pattern, but they’re pretty adorable as my daughter would say.

I had to laugh at your husband’s comment because it’s exactly what mine says too “I suppose you’re going to blog this” or “I suppose you’re going to micro-blog [tweet] it” to which I usually answer “YES!”

2. erica 07.16.2010 at 7:59 am #

nice! I wish I had a surger…my niece would love to pick out her own undie fabric!

3. The Cottage Mama 07.16.2010 at 8:36 am #

Seriously, how could you NOT put those on your blog? They are so stinkin cute!! Savannah should be starting to potty train in a couple months, so maybe I’ll have to make some of those as incentive for her to use the “big girl” potty.

What is this fabric you used? I love it!!

Have a great day,
    Lindsay

4. Leslie 07.16.2010 at 9:06 am #

these are super cute!!

5. Larissa 07.16.2010 at 9:07 am #

Oh man! I want some underwear just like it. I am in awe of your pretty knit stash. Man, I really really really need to learn my serger. I never thought it would be sitting under its dust cover for months after I bought it.

6. hilltopmom 07.16.2010 at 9:09 am #

Aren’t they pretty. I think I want some for myself.

7. Becca 07.16.2010 at 9:33 am #

Ditto – SO cute! I also need to learn how to use my serger, which is sitting on my desk waiting to be used for such a fun project!

8. Sandra 07.16.2010 at 9:43 am #

LOVE them!!! Almost makes me want to run out and buy a serger!!!

9. Melissa at Perry Jayne 07.16.2010 at 10:04 am #

SO CUTE! Love those undies.

10. Marybeth 07.16.2010 at 10:09 am #

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Thanks for the link :)))

11. Jenny 07.16.2010 at 10:10 am #

Ugh! I went to her store but it was empty! I’d really love to make these for the boys… you know, if they EVER POTTY TRAIN!

12. Jenny 07.16.2010 at 10:11 am #

Do you know of any other good underpants patterns?

13. j 07.16.2010 at 10:16 am #

wow- awesome – would you reveal your source for those great knit fabrics? nice prints and patterns seem so hard to find! thanks in advance.

14. Vanessa 07.16.2010 at 10:18 am #

Those are adorable! Oh, and men are silly.

15. Kylie 07.16.2010 at 10:43 am #

We love them here too – so much so that I have even got my Mum on the job of making them for me – and she made some for my little man the other week – they are so cute – might have to blog them for my blogless Mum:)

16. Julie 07.16.2010 at 10:44 am #

I have had this pattern since she first started selling it and my daughter loves these. I will also be making some for my boy once he is potty trained. my daughter loves that they are nice and comfy.

17. Stephanie Meade Gresham 07.16.2010 at 11:14 am #

I haven’t sewn with knit before. It kinda intimidates me. These are too adorable, though. Maybe I’ll start making some, so Sam has them by next year when he starts peeing in the potty.

Thinking browns and yellows….heh.

18. Melissa 07.16.2010 at 11:20 am #

i tried to get it, but the site doesnt have anymore :(

19. Emily 07.16.2010 at 12:19 pm #

I LOVE these!

20. Care 07.16.2010 at 12:36 pm #

adorable!!!!!

21. Nicole 07.16.2010 at 12:45 pm #

those are fantastic!!!

22. LittleHolts 07.16.2010 at 12:56 pm #

So, so cute! I might have to make some for my three girls. I need to get better with a serger first though. I’m terrible at getting it to look nice.

23. SummersDesigns 07.16.2010 at 1:45 pm #

Love them! My daughter is two and we are letting her wear panties around the house. She would say Pretty Panties!

24. fromthedepthsofacreativeheart 07.16.2010 at 2:40 pm #

Cuteness! I so want that pattern!

25. Karin van D. 07.16.2010 at 2:51 pm #

They are adorable. I love the bright colours you picked, I am sure every little girl would love to wear these. And ofcourse you should put these on your blog, they’re pretty!

26. eye_on_sparrow 07.16.2010 at 3:19 pm #

Those panties are so adorable. I wish I had some small children to make some for.

27. Jess 07.16.2010 at 3:44 pm #

they’re adorable!

28. Elīna 07.16.2010 at 4:31 pm #

well done! They really look so funny and so good!

29. Grandma G 07.16.2010 at 5:45 pm #

Those are sooo cute! Definitely blogworthy! :)

30. Edris 07.16.2010 at 7:53 pm #

I purchased this pattern a few months ago. I better get off my tush and make these for my two little cuties. Love the colors you chose.

31. Mother★Lode 07.16.2010 at 8:21 pm #

hi anna!
    these are adorable!
    for a relatively newer sewer (2 years of dabbling, with very low success rate with clothing) what is the level of difficulty with this pattern?

32. Lise 07.16.2010 at 8:59 pm #

Super cute! Of course you’ve got to blog them! Off to see if the pattern comes in tiny EC sizes…

33. Tammy 07.16.2010 at 9:57 pm #

Ooooh, very cute!

34. Jessica 07.16.2010 at 11:31 pm #

I love them! The contrasting fabric is just the best! I’m sure potty training will be a breeze if they get to wear such cute panties :)

35. Amber 07.16.2010 at 11:36 pm #

Love these!! Any tips for good places to buy knits?? I am always looking for good knit sources!

36. My Love is..... 07.17.2010 at 12:44 am #

OMG adorable. I would blog about them too! thanx for the link!

37. Cindy 07.17.2010 at 9:02 am #

These are sooo cute!! You did a great job!!:)

38. Florence 07.17.2010 at 3:49 pm #

Anna! I have practically fainted with the loveliness of these knickers! They’re gorgeous. Can I ask where you get your amazing jersey knits from…the only ones I have available to me locally are hideous and would make the knickers looks more suited to a caveman. Patty Young knits are yet to hit the UK…but actually, I think that the patterns on those may be too big for a small garment.

Florence x

39. Tara 07.17.2010 at 4:33 pm #

Those are so cute! I am a new sewer and just got a serger yesterday so can’t wait to try it out. I was bummed when I went to thatdarncats shop and it was empty, but I checked it today and she has the pattern out there now, so for anyone who was looking and couldn’t find it, try again!

40. Vanessa 07.17.2010 at 8:02 pm #

Hey-not sure if this was posted already but you can find the pattern here too!

41. Anna 07.17.2010 at 8:20 pm #

hey all! Thanks for you sweet comments. I got the knits at Sewzanne’s they have a huge selection. I think you can get the pattern at Pink Chalk Fabrics or maybe it was that you can sew this site, I’ll be updating and emailing, but just on a little vacation now. I think the pattern is relatively easy, just a bit tedius with the small parts (especially the size 2) and getting it trough the machine. Attaching the leg and waist band takes time, but it’s worth it! No elastic, yay. And she does give instructions in the pattern for sewing WITHOUT a serger!!! :) ps. love you guys, you’re the best!

42. Mary on Lake Pulaski 07.17.2010 at 11:15 pm #

Oh I will definitely be making these for my granddaughter once she’s gets that age!

43. lajamison 07.18.2010 at 12:38 am #

What a great pattern – thanks for passing it along.

44. Angela 07.18.2010 at 10:27 pm #

SO cute! Love them… Will have to try this pattern out. Thanks so much for sharing!

45. dana 07.20.2010 at 6:46 pm #

oh my gosh! Anna! Those are seriously so cool and cute. I’ve never attempted undies. You did a great job. Love it.

46. Mother★Lode 07.21.2010 at 12:51 am #

i think these are just so fun! i’ve included the link in my weekly roundup of inspiring projects and posts, blogged here:
    thanks for the reply to my question about skill level – i have this on my list to try soon.
    thanks so much for sharing your cheery results!
    camille =)

47. Christy {Home-Mom} 07.21.2010 at 5:33 pm #

what a great way to upcycle old tees or scrap fabric. thanks this IS really cute
    Christy

48. jeni lange 03.23.2014 at 9:18 am #

i know i am late to this party but i am wondering if this pattern is still available. i checked PCF and didn’t see it there. they are so cute and would be perfect for my LO who is about to start training and i am hoping i can tweak it a bit to fit her little bum. thank you for the inspiration!