unicorn dress

Noodlehead   unicorn dress sewing

I had seen Meg over at Elsie Marley use this Heather Ross fabric during her Kids Clothes week and just had to get some, her project was so cute.  So I made this dress for Natalie using a Japanese sewing book (ISBN 978-4-8347-2840-8).  {Purchased here.}  I loved the pattern.  I think it was one of the main reasons I purchased the book in the first place.

Noodlehead   unicorn dress sewing

The Japanese books still kind of intimidate me, but the patterns are too cute to avoid.  Update:  Here’s a great link with tips on using japanese patterns.

Noodlehead   unicorn dress sewing

The one key to using the patterns is that you have to add in the seam allowances, luckily I remembered this time.

Noodlehead   unicorn dress sewing

Natalie loves the dress and it fits her really well.  I think it’s pretty comfy since it’s made with the soft double gauze.  I’m thinking I need to make a coordinating skirt for her little sister.

Noodlehead   unicorn dress sewing

, ,

23 Responses to unicorn dress

1. Beth 07.08.2010 at 12:10 pm #

how sweet!!! is there elastic in there or just the twill tape making it look gathered. am i foolish to try without a pattern?

2. Amy 07.08.2010 at 12:11 pm #

Oh, don’t let Lily see or she will be soooo jealous!

3. Amy Woodruff 07.08.2010 at 12:12 pm #

I have 2 Japanese pattern books that I’m trying to tackle! Happy Homemade vol 2 and another I don’t know the title but it’s the Heart Warming Life Series. Other than the seam allowance stuff do you have any tips??

4. Anna 07.08.2010 at 12:13 pm #

hey beth, you certainly try doing it without a pattern, there aren’t a lot of pieces. And yes, elastic in the sleeve cap and around the neckline.

5. Michele 07.08.2010 at 12:16 pm #

what a sweet little dress! you’re right, that fabric is lovely, very soft and feminine!

6. Lawwife 07.08.2010 at 12:22 pm #

I would love that pattern book. DO you mind telling me where you purchased it?

7. Mother★Lode 07.08.2010 at 12:23 pm #

this is over the top cute! my daughter would love the pattern too! maybe i’ll try pajama bottoms … i corrupt anything with collars and sleeves..

8. Robyn *Ü* 07.08.2010 at 12:28 pm #

What an awesome dress. Where did you find the book?

9. Chris 07.08.2010 at 12:32 pm #

Darling dress. I am hoping to get a Japanese sewing book or two for Christmas…I love the simple style. Great job.

10. Lauren 07.08.2010 at 1:19 pm #

i would totally be frightened by the japanese sewing book!!! who am i kidding. i cant even follow an american sewing book in english. that is why i like and need people like you who post ideas, photos and step by step tutorials!!!!!!

11. Nancy's Couture 07.08.2010 at 2:10 pm #

Oh that fabric is just so adorable. I’m not sure I could sew from a book written in a different language. The dress is so pretty!!!

12. Amber 07.08.2010 at 3:45 pm #

Love the vintage feel of the fabirc! Very cute!

13. Karin van D. 07.08.2010 at 4:04 pm #

So cute, the fabric, the shape of this little dress.. very pretty!

14. Shirley 07.08.2010 at 5:36 pm #

So cute! My daughter would love this…but with mermaids…

Very Darling!

15. houseonhilltop 07.08.2010 at 5:50 pm #

How sweet. My girls would love that one. Heck, I’d like one for myself.

16. Andrea 07.08.2010 at 9:21 pm #

Very precious. I too love Japanese pattern books. (and matching sisters)

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

17. Jeannie 07.08.2010 at 10:12 pm #

That dress is totally adorable and you sew everything so well! No more little girls to sew for around here!!:(

18. Sylvie 07.09.2010 at 12:36 am #

This dress is perfect!
    I do love Japanese sewing book and Heather Ross fabrics, so this is just perfect! My daughter would LOVE this dress… I think I will copy you soon if you don’t mind ;)

19. Liz @ LivingMySweetLife 07.09.2010 at 3:13 pm #

oh how I long for a girl just so I can sew her pretty things!!! ;)
    What a pretty dress! I just made the cargo messenger bag from your tutorial and I am in love with it! ( I just posted it on my blog, forgive my crummy photography skills!) Thank you for your awesome tutorials, I seriously love them all! I plan on making the gathered clutch as a birthday present soon and I am going to make my boys the bicycle baskets for their tricycles!

20. Deidre 07.09.2010 at 10:45 pm #

I have been contemplating the idea of using some Japanese patterns myself, but always felt intimidated. Is it not as bad as I am psyching myself out to think it is? I LOVE this dress. It’s just so cute and the Japanese patterns are adorable.

21. henny 07.10.2010 at 12:14 am #

Hi Anna!
    Sorry, I haven’t been around lately. Busy with my new little shop for promoting since ther’s no sales yet :(
    The dress is so cute! I think it’s very comfy too for me in sunny days :)

22. Anna 07.11.2010 at 9:48 pm #

hey amy, hmmm, since this is only my third time making stuff from a japanese book, I’m not sure, but here’s a great link you might find helpful: http://www.purlbee.com/japanese-pattern-drafting-tuto/2008/7/20/japanese-crafting-with-mari-drafting-japanese-sewing-pattern.html

23. amy 10.24.2010 at 12:58 pm #

I just bought some of this print in green at my LQS. I wanted the blue but all they had was the green. I have several japanese sewing books but haven’t tackled them yet! :)