creature comforts

Just thought I’d share a random assortment of things that have made life more comfortable around here.  I know, that just sounds dorky, but whatever.

If anyone is still planning on doing some road tripping, this funny little bugger was quick to make.

Noodlehead   creature comforts spice up your kitchen sewing
Noodlehead   creature comforts spice up your kitchen sewing
nothing like kicking back and relaxing with your favorite movie in the car…
Noodlehead   creature comforts spice up your kitchen sewing

In fact, I made two for my girls very last minute before we drove here this summer:

Noodlehead   creature comforts spice up your kitchen sewing

Noodlehead   creature comforts spice up your kitchen sewing

This next one I meant to make ages ago when Crafterhours first shared it.  And then I actually stumbled upon their inspiration tutorial here which spurred me on to finally making one.  I used recycled cereal boxes and ended up using an Elmer’s spray glue to secure all the fabric in place.  I wanted to make a whole drawer full, but realized I just didn’t have enough kid friendly drawer space I could give up.  So it holds their silverware for now…

Noodlehead   creature comforts spice up your kitchen sewing

Lastly, I ended up doing some mending of a favorite pair of jammies that mysteriously got ripped.  Nothing fancy, just sewed another piece of knit right on top of the hole.

Noodlehead   creature comforts spice up your kitchen sewing

Noodlehead   creature comforts spice up your kitchen sewing

I had a blast shopping on Saturday, and found some pretty fun stuff.  I’ll have to show you my find of the year in another post, I’m really excited about it.

16 Responses to creature comforts

1. Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) 09.13.2010 at 11:54 am #

OMG your kids are adoreable! I love checking out your blog for inspiration. Thanks for all the great ideas!

2. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny 09.13.2010 at 12:03 pm #

I need to make one of those travel pillows for myself. I’m a notorios car napper. Love the Mt. Rushmore pic.

3. Leslie 09.13.2010 at 12:50 pm #

this little pillow is such a great idea…she is so cute sitting there with her movie in her lap.

4. Jess 09.13.2010 at 3:38 pm #

cute stuff! I just love when the sewing hobby helps make life more functional, as well as beautiful! love the dress in the last post too!

5. Care 09.13.2010 at 4:15 pm #

find of the YEAR, eh?? I am so intrigued!!

love the random bits!

6. ReneeStudioCity 09.13.2010 at 8:05 pm #

I’ve been reading your blog for a few weeks now and I didn’t notice until today that you’re in Onalaska! My mom is from Onalaska and my dad was from LaCrosse! I was born and raised in the Minneapolis area but now am in Los Angeles.

Small world – and I love your blog. You are fabulously creative and very inspiring.

7. ayumills 09.13.2010 at 11:02 pm #

the travel neck pillow looks so comfy! I want one! :D

8. Delia 09.13.2010 at 11:50 pm #

That neck pillow looks like a must for us for next summer!

I like your knit patch. I have also done a reverse applique with a ripped garment like that.

9. crafterhours 09.14.2010 at 1:35 am #

Wow, it’s pretty bad when I have to go to other peoples’ blogs to be inspired by something that’s on my own! I love your cutlery tray, and now I want to make one too. I also love that apparently kids 5000-ish miles away have the exact same cutlery :)
    -A

10. Nicole 09.14.2010 at 1:24 pm #

all very crafty and useful. that is the best kind of craft!

11. Carla 09.14.2010 at 3:42 pm #

Ok now that’s the way to travel…

12. Lolly Jane 09.14.2010 at 6:55 pm #

hi! found ya from jill @ envirocraftiness!

had to laugh, my 3 yr old is on my lap and he saw your photo of ikea forks & said “hey! that’s OUR drawer!” to which i responded “oh honey, hers is much cuter & more organized than ours!”

love your site, new follower. :)

13. franzif 09.15.2010 at 7:38 am #

Do you have a tutorial for the shoulder pads of the car seat as well? It looks like exactly what I need.

14. Pacific Designs 09.15.2010 at 10:36 am #

What a GREAT shot of your little girl in the back seat! All I could think of is the lay flat beds on those international flights! That looks like first class all the way!

15. Kari 09.17.2010 at 12:39 pm #

I love doing useful things like these when I sew. I’ve been meaning to make neck pillows for my boys so thanks for linking to the tutorial. Happy Friday.

16. paperandclouds 09.20.2010 at 9:02 am #

Ha! I just made this for Daughter last week. She didn’t love it in the car seat, but it worked really well in the Burley trailer when she feel asleep on our bike ride.