my nephew’s Christmas stocking

I know, it’s not even Thanksgiving yet, but I wanted to have this present finished up so it can be used this Christmas season.  My newest nephew Grant was born in September and since his mom and dad already have stockings I made them a couple years ago, I figured it would be the perfect project.

I used my own Christmas Stocking Tutorial. It was actually perfect timing because a few people were asking me about the old file, so I updated the pdf file of the pattern pieces so that it prints on 3 sheets of letter size paper.  I should also add that I omitted the small fabric strip below the name on this version (my tutorial calls for a small piece sewn between the name and the body of the stocking – just didn’t want this to mess anyone up who plans on making a stocking).
Good thing Grant’s name isn’t very long, it only took me a few hours to do the embroidery.  I had fun taking this not so Christmas-y fabric and making it Christmas looking.  The little lines are just long running stitches with embroidery floss and make it nice and quilted.  :)
I really love this size stocking, it’s big enough to fit some really fun stocking stuffers, just looking out for ya Grant…
ps. I’d like to add that it’s been terribly dreary and raining here lately, I am almost to the point where I’m wishing for snow in hopes of brightening things up around here, it’s almost impossible to get a good picture when it looks like it’s 5 o’clock at night all day long.  Such is life…

, , ,

30 Responses to my nephew’s Christmas stocking

1. Karissa Jade Ferguson 11.22.2010 at 3:31 pm #

Your pictures look great! That is such a beautiful stocking. Thanks for the pattern. I’m going to make stockings next week and now I’ve got the perfect pattern :) Thanks!

2. Vanessa 11.22.2010 at 3:41 pm #

So cute Anna! I love the green elephant fabric. Grant (and his mommy and daddy) will love it!

3. Emily 11.22.2010 at 4:01 pm #

Oh I love it! Thanks for sharing the stocking pattern too- we don’t have any.

4. Delia 11.22.2010 at 4:27 pm #

Ugh…that does sound dreary. We are already steeped in 4 plus inches of snow. It feels like Christmas already. :)

This stocking is so pretty. Again…I feel like I am repeating myself but your fabric choices are so good. The green elephant! So cool. Your embroidery skills are pretty amazing too.

5. Meg 11.22.2010 at 4:36 pm #

Cute! Love your fabric choice! Perfect for a little guy.

6. Leslie 11.22.2010 at 4:38 pm #

this is adorable!!!

7. Bernice 11.22.2010 at 4:50 pm #

Love the colours. The button and ribbon detail is very cute.

8. Jessica 11.22.2010 at 5:02 pm #

Looks good. Do you have an embroidery machine or did you free hand it? I can do satin stitches on mine (and can vary the width of the stitches), but wondering how easily I could embroider a name like that.

9. Anna 11.22.2010 at 5:24 pm #

hey jessica, yes, the embroidery was done by hand. :)

10. Liz @ LivingMySweetLife 11.22.2010 at 5:41 pm #

Pretty!! WHat a lucky little guy. I almost wish we didn’t have stockings so I could make some for my kids! A dear friend just had a baby girl, maybe I’ll make her one ;)

11. Chris 11.22.2010 at 6:15 pm #

Oh, the love that went into all that embroidery! Well done.

12. Kate 11.22.2010 at 6:28 pm #

Love it! I grew up with knitted xmas stockings and have been thinking about knitting some but this is something else to consider… I had fun going through your back posts about xmas stockings including the one about all your stockings through time. I made one for my mom out of felt (no glitter though) which unintentionally was much smaller than the rest of ours… oops.

13. Jess 11.22.2010 at 6:47 pm #

adorable! i just have to add the bias tape around the tops of ours and they’re done! thanks for the pattern-i love the shape!

14. Krista Shaffer 11.22.2010 at 6:50 pm #

I can’t believe how adorable this is!!! Excellent job, and your embroidery is insanely amazing!!! Thank you for an amazing tutorial Anna!!!!

15. A Girl 11.22.2010 at 7:08 pm #

Beautiful stocking and gift. I have stockings that recieved as gifts when my children were born, and have treasured them always.

16. Sarah 11.22.2010 at 7:26 pm #

That’s turned out beautifully Anna! Love the ribbon you have used on the hanger too. The embroidered name is just perfect and I can’t believe you did it by hand. He’s a lucky boy.

17. Vanessa 11.22.2010 at 7:27 pm #

I hadn’t even thought about stockings! I think I might have some not so cute store bought ones stashed somewhere but I’m thinking I’ll have to make Syd one using your tutorial :) Love the elephants!!

18. meg 11.22.2010 at 8:05 pm #

I feel the same way about snow these days. I was actually a little bummed it was so warm today. soon, soon I will eat my words. I love the little red stitching!

19. Dahlia 11.22.2010 at 9:31 pm #

Beautiful stocking, and beautiful flower pillow too (looks like a dahlia to me)! it’s been raining here too – weird – and school was even cancelled because now everything is super icy. Hope you get some snow soon!!! I’m happy to see something Christmasy on the blog :)

20. Mary 11.22.2010 at 11:25 pm #

LOVE this! The fabric is perfect and your hand embroidery makes it really special.

21. Nana-Nonsense 11.23.2010 at 8:07 am #

As I have said before, you inspire me!

22. amy 11.23.2010 at 10:22 am #

What a beautiful stocking, and a very thoughtful gift! Those elephants are awesome!!

23. Erica 11.23.2010 at 12:33 pm #

I love this! Thanks for the tutorial! I need to make a stocking for our new baby girl!

24. Angela 11.23.2010 at 2:19 pm #

Such a fun stocking!

25. V and Co. 11.23.2010 at 5:52 pm #

too too cute! i am suppose to make stockings this year for the whole fam…so not going to happen. oh well.

26. Jess 11.24.2010 at 1:32 am #

Love this. The running stitch is brilliant!

Jess
    Urban Patchwork

27. florzinha Tá 11.24.2010 at 8:53 am #

OI Amiga..
    Ficou linda..
    Muito criativa..
    Beijos…

28. Jocelyn 11.24.2010 at 1:49 pm #

Awww! That’s my husband’s name! Did you do the embroidery on the name, too? I love to do embroidery, but it takes me forever!

I might have to try making some of those stockings one of these years. All our stockings are mis-matched because my step-mom has been saying for years that she’s going to make the family stockings to match mine. I think I’m giving up on waiting for them.

29. Katie 11.24.2010 at 2:22 pm #

Such a sweet and classic little stocking. What a lucky little nephew you have! :)

30. Teegan 12.11.2010 at 5:55 am #

I just found your blog and I am itching to try out some of your tutorials, but I’m moving house and the sewing equipment is packed up, so I’ll have to be patient! Especially love the half eaten gingerbread men.