early april showers…

Noodlehead   early april showers... sewing
…baby showers that is.  I had fun going to my friend’s baby shower this past weekend.  It was fun to be able to hang out and have some quality girl talk and swap some funny stories.
Noodlehead   early april showers... sewing
She’s having a boy and although I have tons of girl fabric to use, I do manage to sneak in boys fabric here and there, especially since now I have my newest nephew to sew for.  (rocket fabric: Rocket Scientist by Keri Beyer 2009, purchased at Crafty Planet)
Noodlehead   early april showers... sewing
Anyway, I settled on some much needed baby items for her gift.  You know, diapers, soap, all that useable stuff that you go through like crazy.  So with that bathtime theme I set out to make a couple fabric buckets for organizing all those bathtime necessities and a few washcloths.  (Fabric bucket tutorial by Ric-Rac, I just adjusted the sizing to make the sizes I wanted)
Noodlehead   early april showers... sewing
Honestly, I don’t even know why I haven’t ever sewn a washcloth before.  I even had the terrycloth from over a year ago.  Somehow the stretchyness of it kind of intimidated me.  Well, I got over it, used my walking foot, and made some cute baby washcloths.  And don’t worry, I’m determined to sew a whole bunch for my girls and throw away those dingy ones we have that are pretty much falling apart.
Noodlehead   early april showers... sewing
I’d also like to add a few random notes about Japan.  I’m sure many of you have already donated money or purchase handmade items to benefit Japan and it’s earthquake victims.  Here are a few links if you’re still interested in helping out:
  • Ellie Inspired is donating 100% of her Ayano dress pattern sales to help Japan (through April 15th).  Click here for more info.
  • If you’re interested in donating money, here’s a great site where you can donate to a handful of great organizations.
  • visit For Japan with Love
  • or visit Tea Rose Home’s page to read more about her story and how you can help:
Noodlehead   early april showers... sewing

, , , ,

33 Responses to early april showers…

1. pocketsize 03.29.2011 at 10:45 am #

Oooh, I love the spaceship fabric. How cool and cute!

2. East of Main 03.29.2011 at 11:11 am #

Do you have or know of a tutorial for the fabric buckets? They are fabulous!

3. carey 03.29.2011 at 11:14 am #

I just love those little buckets. Great fabric, too. :)

4. Anna 03.29.2011 at 11:16 am #

hey east of main, thanks for reminding me, I forgot to mention (but now added to the post) that I used ric-rac’s fabric bucket tutorial and adjusted it to the sizes I wanted. Hope that helps!

5. Nanabanana 03.29.2011 at 11:37 am #

I would love a tutorial on these buckets! What a great baby gift!!

6. Nanabanana 03.29.2011 at 11:42 am #

Oops, just saw where you put the tutorial info! Thanks!

7. Ruth 03.29.2011 at 11:43 am #

Love these fabrics! You may have inspired me to embark on a little washcloth project myself….and the buckets are fab. As Nanabanana said, a tutorial would be great.

8. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny 03.29.2011 at 11:44 am #

Great gift idea, Anna. I love those fabric buckets. I’d like to modify them into Easter baskets (but I probably won’t get to that until next year). Those washcloths are adorable. I’m going to whip some up for my sister-in-law’s baby shower. Thanks for the idea!

9. karen 03.29.2011 at 12:05 pm #

love the spaceship fabrics! can you tell me where you got them?! thanks so much!

10. sewkatiedid 03.29.2011 at 12:57 pm #

These are great. I was thinking about making some fabric Easter Baskets for the kids. Is there a tutorial for this?

11. Jeannie 03.29.2011 at 1:06 pm #

It is so hard finding boy fabric that is really cute but I did and will use some of it on this project you just did. Very cute.

12. sewrayme.co.uk 03.29.2011 at 1:49 pm #

These are gorgeous! They’ll also be useful for such a long time. Great gift idea.

13. Kerry 03.29.2011 at 2:17 pm #

Great makes- the little flannels are so simple but so effective and you can never have enough of those- even better that they are lovely to look at as the wipe away milk, clean noses etc!

14. Poppyprint 03.29.2011 at 2:52 pm #

What a wonderful gift! Those rocket fabrics are so fabulous. Here’s a tip for you. When sewing wash cloths for babies or little hands, sew them like a hand-sized glasses case, more like a washing mitt. It’s way easier for small children to wash themselves without dropping it constantly, plus they are fun to fill up with water and watch it slowly drain out the bottom when you’re hanging out in the tub! Or, they can put the bar of soap inside it and rub that on their skin so the slippery soap doesn’t go flying!

15. Leslie 03.29.2011 at 3:06 pm #

these are such cute gifts…those little washcloths are adorable.

16. amy 03.29.2011 at 3:20 pm #

So cute Anna! We have tons of homemade washcloths and love them!!! I’m going to have to add the buckets to my ever growing “to make” list! :)

17. Emily 03.29.2011 at 3:37 pm #

Love the washcloths. :)

18. DeAnn 03.29.2011 at 7:06 pm #

Love this idea! I would also love to find that fabric for my new grandson who will have a rocket nursery. Would you be able to tell us where we might get it?
    Thanks so much!

19. Grandma G 03.29.2011 at 9:30 pm #

What a sweet set of baby items! Cute AND useful is a great combination.

20. commonthreads 03.29.2011 at 10:59 pm #

Where do you get the terry for the washcloths? We need a few more, too!

21. Sara vs. Sarah 03.30.2011 at 12:43 am #

what a great gift! I love those washcloths – I’ve never thought to make those either, but they look SO soft & pretty! -Sara

22. Samantha 03.30.2011 at 6:36 am #

Oh my goodness what a gorgeous baby shower gift. I love the space ships too – way too cute. I have never thought of making new washcloths. I will definately have to make some for myself. Thanks for all your efforts and sharing your thoughts with us here in blogland.

23. Sarah 03.30.2011 at 9:53 am #

I have had those buckets on my to-do-list for too long. I have the fabric set aside and everything. Maybe I will get to them this week. Maybe

24. Midwest Magnolia - Melissa Lewis 03.30.2011 at 10:23 am #

These are so stinkin’ cute. What a great shower gift!!! And I’ve got plenty to go to these days too! Is there a tutorial on the buckets?

25. Anna 03.30.2011 at 10:25 am #

rocket fabric: Rocket Scientist by Keri Beyer 2009, purchased at Crafty Planet

fabric bucket tutorial by ric-rac (I just adjusted measurements for these)

26. Hannah from FlyChicks 03.30.2011 at 11:50 am #

love it. love it. love it.

27. Sascha 03.30.2011 at 1:15 pm #

Oh those buckets are fabulous! I made a pair of pants for the baby in the blue colorway of the rocketship fabric. I wish I had bought more when I had the chance.

28. Miranda 03.30.2011 at 2:07 pm #

Love all of it. Might have to make some of those washcloths! And I love Crafty Planet!

29. patterns by figgys 03.30.2011 at 9:31 pm #

oh so cute! great idea!

30. Delia 03.31.2011 at 3:55 pm #

What cute buckets! You are so inspiring…and that rocket fabric is awesome!

31. keri beyer 04.01.2011 at 12:07 am #

wow, what a blast (yes, the pun is intended) to see these adorable projects in my fabric designs! thanks so much for sharing, and more thanks for buying my fabric. I live in mn and love the crafty planet!!!! :)

32. Stephanie Granite 01.28.2013 at 2:00 pm #

What kind of terry cloth did you use to make these? I want to make some but don’t know which kind I should buy

33. Anna 01.28.2013 at 2:22 pm #

http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/ is where I got mine! Not sure if they still carry it. You could always cut up a towel!