big buckets

Another round of buckets were made over the weekend.  I had taken time last week to clean up the work-in-progress box and these bucket pieces had been sitting in there forever.  Have you been doing any sewing spring cleaning?

So I decided instead of making them for my girls, that they would be a perfect gift to give for my cousin’s new baby girl.

It’ll be a great place to throw in some toys and stuffed animals.  I used Ric-Rac’s fabric bucket tutorial again, but enlarged them to super huge and pretty darn big sizes (12″ diameter and 9″ diameter).  The exterior for both is made with super colorful cotton twill (which is really similar to cotton canvas), makes them a little more sturdy.
I have been thinking butterflies lately, so I machine embroidered some butterflies on the exterior.  I love the little splash of spring girliness they add.

, , ,

29 Responses to big buckets

1. Amy 04.18.2011 at 8:45 am #

These are awesome. Those butterflies just make me smile. What a great gift!

2. alayne 04.18.2011 at 8:54 am #

love those – especially the butterflies!!

3. tinajo 04.18.2011 at 8:58 am #

Looks absolutely awesome – love the colors! :-)

4. Greta 04.18.2011 at 9:05 am #

Funny enough I just sewed up a pair of pants that have been sitting in my basket forever! Something about spring does make me want to have everything fresh and new and cleaned out! What foot did you use to machine stitch the butterflies? I’m still learning and easily overwhelmed by feet.

5. Kristin 04.18.2011 at 9:19 am #

I’l love to know the measurements you used to make them this size..they are GREAT!!

6. Rachel Hauser 04.18.2011 at 10:11 am #

So cute and bright and happy! Great job on the freehand machine stitching. I’m looking forward to trying that technique someday. So much to stitch, so little time…

7. Rachael 04.18.2011 at 10:51 am #

Again, your latest version of these buckets look great! Love the applique. I took some inspiration from your baby ones a few weeks ago and made some of my own (for keeping bits and bobs tidy on the bathroom shelves!). There’s just no end to how useful these fabulous buckets are. Not to mention how addictive they are to make. Blogged here – Sew Ray Me

8. Grandma G 04.18.2011 at 10:59 am #

Super cute! I love the butterflies! And they remind me of some buckets I have cut out but have yet to sew……

9. Liz @ LivingMySweetLife 04.18.2011 at 11:01 am #

Pretty!!! I love the machine embroidery. I wish I could do it without making a huge mess out of my project! I especially love the red and blue bucket!

10. Just Rhonda 04.18.2011 at 11:12 am #

SUPER cute!!!

11. Anna 04.18.2011 at 11:32 am #

hey greta, I used a darning foot to do the machine embroidery. It’s what you’d also use for free motion quilting a quilt.

12. Jess 04.18.2011 at 11:56 am #

so cute Anna! love the little butterflies too. Perfect reminder that Spring is here! (ish)

13. Poppyprint 04.18.2011 at 12:10 pm #

super huge and pretty darn big. That’s funny. These are adorable – what a perfect gift!

14. Chris 04.18.2011 at 12:33 pm #

Love the colors. I just made a couple smaller ones this weekend for my bathroom. Thanks for the tip last year to ricracs tutorial. One change I made this time was using fusible fleece instead of batting and interfacing. It worked great!

15. Jocelyn 04.18.2011 at 1:34 pm #

Those look so good! I love the butterflies.
    Hmmm project spring cleaning . . . I really should work on that as any project for myself or my family has been waiting for me while I make gifts and things that actually have a deadline.

16. Jenny 04.18.2011 at 1:34 pm #

These are so cute Anna! I don’t know if you ever link up with blog hops, but this would be perfect for my Creative Me Monday link up. I love them!

17. Ammie 04.18.2011 at 2:03 pm #

These are beautiful, and are also such a practical item to have on hand. Thanks for sharing the link to the tute. I think I’ll have a go at these soon! Maybe with embroidered robots on mine for my boys. :D

18. Heather 04.18.2011 at 5:45 pm #

aaak! i need those buckets… in a sea theme! yummers!! ;)

X, H

19. Katie 04.18.2011 at 8:00 pm #

These are super cute! I think I’m going to make some for when we move into our new place. Thanks so much for sharing!

20. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny 04.18.2011 at 8:26 pm #

These buckets are so cute and useful. I’ve had the RicRac tutorial bookmarked for a while but haven’t gotten around to them. I was wondering how you did the embroidery, too. I need to get a darning foot. The butterflies are fabulous.

21. Jeannie 04.18.2011 at 9:01 pm #

Those are so cute and functional!

22. Stitch Rabbit 04.18.2011 at 11:47 pm #

I just made one like this and loved it for my knitting. They’re great, hey?

23. Wendy 04.19.2011 at 5:20 am #

They are so lovely, thanks for showing us and thanks for the link. I can see a load of these in my craft room for my craft supplies…

24. hungiegungie 04.19.2011 at 10:13 am #

great gift idea Anna! Love those butterflies… perfect for spring and a new baby :)

25. Kate 04.19.2011 at 11:01 am #

These are super cute, love the butterflies!

26. hart44 04.19.2011 at 4:11 pm #

These are so pretty :)the colours are so fresh and happy :)
    I keep meaning to make some for all my bits in my work area. I think my grandaughter would like some in her new bedroom too :)

27. Mary Collins 04.19.2011 at 8:20 pm #

Spring has definitely sprung where you are. Your baskets are lovely. I did a little spring cleaning of my own, and found 53 unfinished projects. Terrifying but true. Now they’re posted on my blog, and will hopefully all be done by the end of the year. Thanks for great reading.

28. Susanne 04.19.2011 at 11:30 pm #

What a great idea!!!

29. Diane 05.07.2011 at 9:18 am #

I LOVE your buckets! Especially the butterflies. They look fantastic! :)