my flirting the issue skirt

You read Anna Maria Horner’s blog right?  Well, besides being seriously cool, she shared a great skirt tutorial a couple months back.  So I picked up some of her innocent crush voile the other day and got to work.

Noodlehead   my flirting the issue skirt sewing
Noodlehead   my flirting the issue skirt sewing
I love how this skirt turned out, so soft and pretty and the colors are just amazing.
Noodlehead   my flirting the issue skirt sewing
I lined it with some super cheap (but soft) batiste because I didn’t feel like shelling out the extra bucks to line it with more voile.
Noodlehead   my flirting the issue skirt sewing
The only thing I changed was to insert 3 loops of elastic instead of the 4 as called for.  I got to wear it to church because it was unseasonably warm here, how fun!  I definitely want to make more.
Noodlehead   my flirting the issue skirt sewing
And in case you’re wondering, yes, I did color my hair.  I used one of those wash out type hair colors, it’s kind of red which is not really what I was going for, but I don’t really mind it, especially since I’m not the type to stare in the mirror all day.  Oh and I think I need to get a shirt and sandals to go with this skirt, the t-shirt and flip flops can only take ya so far…

, , , ,

28 Responses to my flirting the issue skirt

1. The Cottage Mama 04.11.2011 at 10:03 am #

Cute, Anna! I have this tutorial marked too – I think it might work for a maternity skirt…..maybe. Love the fabric – so pretty!!

Lindsay

2. Tiffany 04.11.2011 at 10:10 am #

Super cute skirt! I originally got a sewing machine last june to make skirts and have only made quilts, pillows, bags, etc. to date… this summer I hope to branch out into the “super cute and easy a-line knee length skirt” world :)

3. Karenkay 04.11.2011 at 10:38 am #

Thanks so much for showing us your skirt. I have this tutorial but was holding off on making it…now I think I will make one this week!

4. design elements 04.11.2011 at 10:59 am #

cute! happy new week, Anna!

5. Christie @ A Lemon Squeezy Home 04.11.2011 at 11:12 am #

How pretty! And I LOVE that you aren’t one to stare in the mirror all day:). Great way to be!

6. Jan 04.11.2011 at 11:53 am #

The skirt looks great. I like it with the T-shirt.

7. Emily 04.11.2011 at 12:09 pm #

It looks so fun and springy! Love the pictures of you. :) I’ve got this bookmarked too. I love that you used batiste as a lining.

8. Mumbling Mum 04.11.2011 at 12:13 pm #

Aha! Just finished 2 dresses and itching for another project…this may just be the one!

Love the fabric you used. Gorgeous!

Kerry x

9. Jeannie 04.11.2011 at 12:28 pm #

Love your skirt! very fem and comfortable looking. The color of your hair is really good for your skin tone and I like the length too. All total you look stunning!

10. Krista 04.11.2011 at 1:46 pm #

It’s so pretty! What a perfect use for that particular voile. Your hair looks fantastic too.

Oh, I guess I can google this, but what is batiste?

11. lealu 04.11.2011 at 2:04 pm #

Wow! The skirt’s great! Fantastic colors! Really love it.

12. Natalie 04.11.2011 at 2:30 pm #

This is gorgeous! I saw when AMH posted this pattern, and I was a little intimidated by it (I usually stick to sewing non-clothing items), but I love yours so much I am tempted to take the plunge and make my own! I love your fabric choice and the length, too. Well done!

13. Melissa_Loves_Broccoli 04.11.2011 at 2:30 pm #

so pretty. Versatile skirt, I love the new color too.

14. Kerstin 04.11.2011 at 3:30 pm #

Great skirt that looks great on you!

15. Karen Sue 04.11.2011 at 4:09 pm #

great skirt! i went dress shopping and came home empty. This may just be the ticket!!
    What length did you make??
    I did ‘light honey brown’ hair and ended up with more red than I bargained for, but I’m getting used to it. More permanent, so I got a color to cover it up with, but I’m kind of liking it now!! Yours is really cute! I think a practice skirt may happen next week!!

16. Rachel Hauser 04.11.2011 at 4:49 pm #

That is a great way to wear that fabric. I haven’t been a fan of that print as of yet. You’re changing my mind!

17. Greta 04.11.2011 at 8:29 pm #

I made one of her voile scarves and I adore it. Wish I could afford ALL OF HER FABRIC! I would buy fat quarters just to stack them and look at them all day long:)

18. Moriah 04.11.2011 at 9:00 pm #

I am new to your blog and just wanted to say I am really enjoying it. Love the skirt too!!

19. QuiltyGirl 04.11.2011 at 9:05 pm #

What a great idea to line it with batiste! I think I will do the same, when I actually get a chance to make this. I already have voile set aside for it. :)

20. mandi 04.11.2011 at 9:22 pm #

Oh! It looks great! I had seen the tute on her blog, but wondered if it felt frumpy. It looks great on you and not frumpy at all! I think I’ll give it a whirl.

21. crafterhours 04.12.2011 at 2:14 am #

Very nice! I love this style. I wear my amh voile skirt all the time. There’s nothing like that fabric! And thanks for clearing up that hair thing – the whole time I was reading this post, I was wondering. I think it looks great though. You have the right complexion to pull off dark or light hair.

22. Evelyn 04.12.2011 at 2:27 am #

Very pretty skirt and you look lovely in it. I think I´ll try to make one too. thanks for the inspiration.

23. Kikaatje 04.12.2011 at 2:41 am #

Very nice ! I like the fabric A LOT !!

24. Larissa 04.12.2011 at 10:41 am #

I had my finger hovering over the button to purchase that voile last week and I shamed myself out of it. now I wish I hadn’t. Cute skirt!

25. Dahlia 04.13.2011 at 1:39 am #

You’re so beautiful! Love the skirt. I’ve been on a skirt sewing kick for the girls…I’ll have to check out the blog you mentioned.

26. Kate 04.13.2011 at 7:21 am #

The skirt turned out super cute!

27. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny 04.14.2011 at 1:48 am #

Cute skirt! I love that fabric. It looks great on you.

28. Anna 04.18.2011 at 11:35 am #

just popping in to answer a few questions.
    bastiste is a really thin fabric that’s made with cotton and some synthetic material as well, it’s super cheap $2.99 yard, so it makes a nice lining.

my skirt length was 23″ before hemming – I’m 5’8″ just for reference.