pink lemonade party

Well, I’ve been having fun not sewing lately, but planning a little party for a certain soon-to-be 5 year old.

We used to throw a big party each year for Natalie’s birthday, but as things have gotten busier we haven’t had a big party for her the past couple years.  A few things I’ve tried to keep in mind while I’ve been dreaming up ideas for Natalie’s party was to:
a. keep it simple, it’s so easy to go overboard
b. make sure to include things that she really likes with things I think are reasonable
c. invite just a few friends

Natalie’s into anything pink and can often be found in a totally pink outfit from head to toe. So to make the party less sugary sweet (and NOT completely pink) I chose yellow and pink as the colors – a pink lemonade party!

I put together this simple party invite just for fun.  We’ll hopefully be partying at a local park if the weather cooperates, which should be really fun for everyone to run around and be entertained.

I was inspired to add butterflies to the invite after purchasing this sweet little pack of butterflies from The Gilded Bee (I’m planning to use them to decorate the cake).  She runs a super cute etsy shop based in Iowa.  I love finding great shops like The Gilded Bee and when they’re relatively local, it makes it even better!

I also made these ultra cute bubble gum necklaces for party favors.

I’m definitely not skilled at making jewelry, but these were just so fun and Natalie loves chewing gum.  You can follow the Valentine Gumball Necklace tutorial over at One Charming Party

Not sure if it’s just me, but I didn’t think these were the easiest things to make.  I ended up reading through the comments and a lot of people were having luck drilling holes in the gumballs with a drill, and it worked for me.  I was kind of obsessive about trying not to touch the gumballs too much, they seemed to really melt in my fingers when I first gave it a try.  I held them in a paper towel when drilling them and that seemed to help.

I’ve got a few more things to show you, but that’ll wait for another post.

, ,

33 Responses to pink lemonade party

1. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy 04.26.2011 at 6:19 am #

drill and gumball are two words not often found together in the same sentence. Very cute party ideas :)

2. tinajo 04.26.2011 at 6:25 am #

Those butterflies are lovely! :-)

3. Jacqui 04.26.2011 at 6:32 am #

Ooo I have those necklaces pinned over at Pinterest, interesting to hear how they were to make! I have no idea if I can even find gumballs here in New Zealand but I’m keen to try for the next party. Though it’s meant to be a fairy theme…oh heck, it’s all pink right? Fairy, lemonade, puppies, kittens – just variations on the basic theme of pink. Pink ad nauseum. I know I’ll long for it when the black emo stage hits but right now I’m working at keeping my head above the pink tide.

4. Scrummy Scrapz aka Lizzie 04.26.2011 at 6:48 am #

Guess who’s a lucky party girl, the butterflies are really colourful and the gumball necklace superb – hope the weather keeps up x

5. SewHappyGeek 04.26.2011 at 6:58 am #

Awww, you’re a fabulous mummy, throwing an awesome party like that! I love the pink theme – makes me nostalgic for when Little Geek was seriously into pink. Hope the weather cooperates!

6. amy 04.26.2011 at 7:01 am #

So cute!!! Love the gilded bee!!! Happy birthday to Natalie!!!

7. Mary 04.26.2011 at 7:48 am #

Ha ha, the idea of drilling gumballs made me giggle, but I love the necklaces! Happy early birthday to your sweet girl!

8. Kristie 04.26.2011 at 8:56 am #

Love the gumball necklaces! A cool take on candy necklaces! I can see how drilling those would be tricky….and that is coming from a girl who drills for a living :-)

9. Marisa 04.26.2011 at 9:32 am #

Don’t wait too long, please. I’ve got a 7yr old pink-yellow-orange-black birthday party here next week! :)

10. Kelly O. 04.26.2011 at 10:10 am #

great colour combo! I’m starting a children’s party planning business and you just reminded me that sometimes colour can be a theme too :)

11. *kate 04.26.2011 at 10:15 am #

We’re having a 5-year-old party this weekend and I love the bubble gum necklaces! What a great idea.

12. Christie @ A Lemon Squeezy Home 04.26.2011 at 11:07 am #

So cute! Those butterflies are adorable!

13. Creative Mom 04.26.2011 at 11:08 am #

Love the necklaces! I’ll have to do that for my daughters 7th this summer. I can’t wait to see more and check out One Charming Party.

14. V and Co. 04.26.2011 at 11:09 am #

katie wants a necklace! too cute.

15. carey 04.26.2011 at 11:13 am #

Oh, that sounds like such a sweet birthday party. I’ll have to keep the gum ball necklaces in mind this summer when my girl turns 5! :)

16. jayayceeblog 04.26.2011 at 12:18 pm #

Great theme, adorable invitations and the bubble gum necklaces are too cool. I’ll bet my soon-to-be 15-year-old granddaughter would even love them!

17. Happy Together 04.26.2011 at 12:51 pm #

Looks fun! I really love the invites! Simple and so adorable

18. Leslie 04.26.2011 at 2:42 pm #

i love those butterflies

19. Jeannie 04.26.2011 at 2:49 pm #

Everything looks wonderful! You are a good mama!! I love ALL pink! my kinda girl.hahahaa.

20. Ruth 04.26.2011 at 3:19 pm #

Love those invitations!

21. Erica 04.26.2011 at 3:31 pm #

She’s a lucky lass, -looks like she’ll be having a super-stylish party. x

22. Dahlia 04.27.2011 at 12:54 am #

I love it – the butterflies, invites, necklaces – I can’t wait to see more! Oh, and we plan to just throw friend/favor parties on the kids’ 5th, 8th, 12th and 16th birthdays. It’s too much work otherwise (especially with all of us having birthdays from nov-jan). All the other birthdays are cake with family.

23. Erica 04.27.2011 at 9:50 am #

What a beautiful party! I adore the necklaces…I had forgotten about the tutorial. Were they difficult to make?

24. Raechel 04.27.2011 at 1:39 pm #

Southern Livivng has an amazing Pink Lemonade cake recipe if you are going with that theme.

25. Lydia 04.27.2011 at 5:50 pm #

SO cute! All great ideas and I especially love that photo of the girls. Can’t wait to celebrate with the beautiful birthday girl…can Auntie Lydia have a super cute gumball necklace??? :o) Those are adorable! You never cease to amaze me, Anna!

26. Larissa 04.27.2011 at 8:44 pm #

I was like, oh those cute beads do look like gumballs. Wait, they ARE GUMBALLS? I’m impressed. That last picture. So precious. Frame-worthy!

27. erica 04.28.2011 at 10:36 am #

What a great theme for a birthday party! Those butterflies are gorgeous, especially the yellow one…they will be beautiful on your cake, I’m sure.

28. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny 04.28.2011 at 11:04 pm #

What a sweet party idea. I love the little butterflies. The invitation is so simple and beautiful. Can’t wait to see what else you have up your sleeve :)

29. Sara from Sara vs. Sarah 04.29.2011 at 7:31 pm #

love the various shades of pink w/ yellow, so pretty! happy b’day!

30. Anonymous 04.30.2011 at 1:00 pm #

Love the idea of pink gumball necklaces! Instead of holding the gumballs with a slippery paper towel while drilling, you could wear disposable nitrile (latex-free) gloves from the pharmacy. I use these all the time when cutting meat, onions, and garlic.
    Ellen

31. dana 05.03.2011 at 1:04 am #

I seriously just found the Gilded Bee the other day. I’m loving their site! Those butterflies are great! Cute party stuff and ideas missy!

32. Becky 05.03.2011 at 6:44 pm #

I don’t have any girls, but those bubblegum necklaces are such a great idea! Do you think my crafty girls would like them? I certainly do!

Thanks for a great post!

33. mycreationsandinspirations 05.05.2011 at 8:11 am #

Hi Anna..butterflies and pink our favorites..love your blog.My daughter and I have blog to follow ıf u like…:))http://mycreationsandinspirations.blogspot.com
    (*v*)