a charlie dress?

I really should stop doing this, but every time I make something I just have to make two for the girls.  Plus, the second time around is always that much more fun.

And although my girls don’t need anymore clothes, it’s just too much fun to see them wearing things I make.  I know that all too soon, they won’t want me to make them clothes anymore.

So anyway, I went with Rae’s Charlie tunic again and made it into a dress this time.  I also added the puff sleeves and rounded placket again, similar to Natalie’s tunic.

My favorite part is the little bit of hand stitching.  I used to have a pic up on my inspiration board of a top that had a ton of hand stitching around the neck – it was beautiful.  Maybe I’ll have to make just one more, maybe in my size this time…

47 Responses to a charlie dress?

1. Jocelyn 06.22.2011 at 11:17 am #

OOOH! I love this! This is my favorite way I have seen this pattern or variation of the pattern done! Great job! And the hand sewing does add that extra touch.

2. Mary on Lake Pulaski 06.22.2011 at 11:20 am #

So, so cute Anna! Love the personal touches you added AND the great fabric choice. Of course the model makes the clothes!

3. Vanessa 06.22.2011 at 11:21 am #

I love the dress and the pattern of the fabric is lovely. I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

4. Chris 06.22.2011 at 11:21 am #

LOVE the tunic as a dress…and the hand stitching is perfect.

5. Emily 06.22.2011 at 11:39 am #

Love the tunic as a dress and the hand stitching! I think it’s great you make one for both of your girls!! I love that you use different fabrics and add different touches so they’re not identical. :) I’d love to see a version for you too!

6. {Leila}Where the Orchids Grow 06.22.2011 at 11:45 am #

the dress is adorable and you girl looks totally cute!
    My mother made pretty much all my clothes up until I was 12 years old..you know I would love it if my mum made me clothes again now!

7. kristin 06.22.2011 at 11:54 am #

so cute! i thought about lengthening the charlie into a dress, too…need to get that pattern, because it looks great!

8. Kelli 06.22.2011 at 12:00 pm #

No offense to Rae, but the Charlie tunic wasn’t my favorite…until you showed it to me on a girl and bam. I love it! And it doesn’t help that your girls are so stinking cute too!

9. dearmrsreese 06.22.2011 at 12:00 pm #

It’s lovely. I also make my kids clothes even though they don’t need them. I LOVE seeing them in clothes that I make and know my time is limited.

10. AmberLou 06.22.2011 at 12:19 pm #

Love it! every once in a while, I wish my kids didn’t have so many clothes, so I’d have an excuse to sew everything they wear… hand me downs from multiple cousins is a huge blessing, though!

11. Carolyn 06.22.2011 at 12:33 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous! I love that you made it into the dress and I love the added detail of the stitching around the placket. Really beautiful!

12. Vanessa/NessieNoodle 06.22.2011 at 12:38 pm #

adorable! and such great colors for the girls to wear.

13. Greta 06.22.2011 at 12:43 pm #

My Sadie, 7, has decided she doesn’t want me to make her clothes anymore…. Luckily she has three younger siblings that will wear what I make:)

14. Amy 06.22.2011 at 12:59 pm #

You daughter is so cute! I love this dress on her! You always have the most fabulous fabrics too. Now I’m getting the itch to make something for my girls. :)

15. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny 06.22.2011 at 1:01 pm #

So cute, Anna. I love the brown fabric. The handstitching is the perfect touch… just right.

16. Tammy 06.22.2011 at 1:20 pm #

Very, very cute! I think I like this as a dress better than a top!

I tell my daughter (2) that it is VERY SPECIAL for Mommy to make her clothes. I’ll keep brainwashing her in the hopes that she’ll wear my clothes for quite a while. LOL

17. GSFOoL 06.22.2011 at 1:40 pm #

I love it as a dress!

18. Sheila 06.22.2011 at 1:54 pm #

Cute dress, fabulous photos.I hope you get to keep making clothes for your girls for ages yet.

19. Vanessa 06.22.2011 at 2:02 pm #

That stitching around the neckline is awesome! Totally makes the dress. Looks like she loves her new dress :)

20. Angela {fussycut} 06.22.2011 at 2:11 pm #

Anna, it is sooo pretty! Lovely as a dress, and your fabric choices are wonderful. I’ve always loved those trees… xo

21. kendascrafts 06.22.2011 at 2:40 pm #

Adorable! What a great idea to turn the tunic into a dress!

22. Kerry 06.22.2011 at 2:43 pm #

Beautiful! The hand stitch detail really makes it special- definitely your turn next!

23. Kristy 06.22.2011 at 3:23 pm #

Wonderful! I love it! :)

24. Creative Mom 06.22.2011 at 4:01 pm #

I love it! I want to make one for my daughter and I don’t usually do clothes very inspiring.

25. Ana Degenaar 06.22.2011 at 4:27 pm #

So cute. Reminds me of my emma.

26. MiezelBags 06.22.2011 at 4:38 pm #

Love this one!! Such a shame I don’t have a niece!

27. Jess 06.22.2011 at 5:04 pm #

this is gorgeous Anna!

28. Belinda 06.22.2011 at 5:42 pm #

Really cute, Anna!
    Sewed for my girls until they didn’t want me to anymore. Now they are 29 & 21 & love it when I sew for them – go figure :)
    Actually, I think it has to do with availability of stylish fabrics, cute patterns & current styles.
    I’m loving every minute of it though!

29. dana 06.22.2011 at 9:48 pm #

oh cute! what a fun idea to make it into a dress! Emily is so darling

30. Stitchin' time 06.22.2011 at 9:56 pm #

I enjoy seeing your girls wear your creations as my pre-teen 12yr old has decided it’s ‘uncool’ to wear handmade/homemade clothes now. Enjoy it while you can as most teenagers develop into ‘sheep’ and want to go with the ‘flock’! So depressing when you know you could make them nicer clothes that fitted them properly and cost less than the ‘brand name’ ones.

31. Poppyprint 06.23.2011 at 1:27 am #

You’re such a sweet mom. When your girls are grown, they’ll remember the special clothes you made them, and talk about them with great nostalgia, like my sister and I do about the dresses our mom knit for us (yes, knit!).

32. longredthread 06.23.2011 at 6:32 am #

2 cute 4 words :) Plus I love turquoise.

33. Vicky 06.23.2011 at 6:49 am #

Even prettier than the last one. I love you fabric choices. x

34. Erin 06.23.2011 at 7:07 am #

stop! this is SO sweet!!! The hand stitching is lovely… great work as always!

35. Lee 06.23.2011 at 12:29 pm #

SO cute. Love the hand-stitching around the collar, and great fabric choices!

36. Rachel Hauser 06.23.2011 at 2:01 pm #

Great idea to add the stitching! That print is also a very nice scale for a dress. Keep it up, Anna – we love it!

37. Anonymous 06.23.2011 at 4:58 pm #

Wow, that is really a beautiful dress! I love the color combination and the large print, the puff sleeves and the hand stitching!
    (Okay, I guess that means that I like everything about it, basically!)

SabineC

38. Isabelle 06.23.2011 at 9:15 pm #

That dress is absolutely beautiful! And the model.. so precious! I absolutely love the neckline and the simplicity of the dress! Everything about it is amazing!

39. Dahlia 06.24.2011 at 12:47 am #

Whatever Anna – you’ve got such awesome taste that your girls are going to have you make all their clothes when they’re older :) They’ll be so stylish!!! I LOVE it all!

40. A Spoonful Of Sugar 06.24.2011 at 3:22 am #

Lovely Dress and an even cuter model!

41. Rae 06.24.2011 at 11:25 am #

LOVE THIS!!!

42. Dalya 06.24.2011 at 9:25 pm #

It’s so cute! I love the puffed sleeves and the hand-stitching!

I would have loved it if my mom would make me clothes! But, I caught onto sewing by myself. I think your girls will really appreciate the handmade clothes later on in life and perhaps ask you to make them special dresses :) Your clothes look fantastic and so well made, I’m sure as they get older, they’ll look at certain patterns and ask or help to make one!

If you do make one of these tunics for yourself, I’d love to know about the process, how you did it, and of course the pictures! I love clothing like this, but am so jealous that the patterns are kid sized, haha!

43. FlyAwayHome 06.24.2011 at 11:32 pm #

How adorable…Oh, and the dress is cute too. Love that pattern.

44. Jacqui 06.25.2011 at 2:09 am #

Summer! It’s photos like these that make me really feel the difference between the southern hemisphere weather outside my window and what’s going on up north :) Great job on all the tunics, and I really admire that you enjoy doing something better the second time around, I’ve always had difficulty with that – I’m obviously not cut out to have an online shop specialising in one product!

45. em 06.25.2011 at 12:35 pm #

ohhh. i love it! i want one for myself!

46. sewtakeahike 06.26.2011 at 9:56 am #

aww, Anna it’s adorable! She looks so proud to be wearing it and I agree. The little hand stitching detail is so perfect!

47. Lydia 06.26.2011 at 5:17 pm #

Such a cute dress and Emily is such a cutie! I love these photos of her!