the inside scoop – my quilt

Okay, I had a few requests for more information on my quilt that I made for my own bed.  It’s a pretty awesome use of fabric – there’s virtually no remaining scraps and you’ve got yourself a queen sized quilt when you’re finished.  It’s actually just a few inches shy of a standard size queen quilt (which is 86″ x 93″), but I just layer my quilt on top of our existing duvet, so for me it doesn’t have to be exact.

The quilt measures 85″ wide by 87″ tall.  You’ll need the following cuts of fabric to make the quilt top:

2.5 yard cut for center panel – labeled #1
1/2 yard cut for small borders (blue fabric in my quilt) – labeled #2
2 yards for large outside border (yellow fabric in my quilt) – labeled #3

Cutting:

• For the center panel simply trim off the selvage edges.
  • Cut 4 small border print pieces 4.5″ wide by width of fabric (about 44″), depending how your fabric shop cuts fabric, you may or may not have enough, so either adjust it to 4″ wide or get 5/8 yard
  • Cut 4 large outside border cut 18″ wide by width of fabric

I should note that you probably won’t want to use fabric that has a directional print (that is a specific upward facing pattern) for the borders just because of the way they’re cut (your print would be facing sideways if you did).

Sew border strips together using 1/4″ seam, then sew the borders to the center panel.  That’s all!  And sorry if this is insulting to all the fabulous quilters out there.  I just hope this might encourage those who wanted to give a large quilt a try!

Here’s a little roundup of some great quilting tutorials*, and mostly how I learned what I know about quilting:

So thank you ladies for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us, I truly appreciate it!
*oh, and definitely feel free to share any other quilting tutorials/tips in the comments.
Have a great weekend everyone!

33 Responses to the inside scoop – my quilt

1. Jenny 06.24.2011 at 11:24 pm #

Can I add my favorite, favorite binding tutorial? This is the BEST way (I have ever seen) to join up your binding at the end of the machine-binding step: http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/photos/continuous_quiltbinding/index.html

LOVE IT. Had to share it.

2. Jessica 06.25.2011 at 12:01 am #

Anna this is so great! I actually JUST linked to your quilt today on a round-up of great ways to use large prints like that summer totem. It’s not on my blog, it’s for local the fabric store I work in:

3. 3 M's and 1 N 06.25.2011 at 12:10 am #

that’s my kind of quilt! love it! :)

4. Sew Much Ado 06.25.2011 at 1:12 am #

Oh how funny, I was just thinking about you and your quilt tonight while I was machine quilting my BABY sized quilt :). Thanks for the links!

5. diana 06.25.2011 at 5:21 am #

Did I tell you how much I love this quilt? Not the design or the fabrics (of course I like them too) but the fact that you did a very ‘for you’ quilt that you love. And it *is* gorgeous in it’s simplicity

6. Ana Degenaar 06.25.2011 at 5:52 am #

Perfection!

7. Tiffany 06.25.2011 at 7:05 am #

It sounds like for the small border we would need more than a half yard, because 4 – 5″ by WOF pieces is 20 inches, not 18.

Thanks for the tutorial, I really like your quilt. Maybe someday when I find that perfect “cant cut it up small!” print I’ll make one of these too!

8. Elsa 06.25.2011 at 9:01 am #

The perfect use of that big patterned floral ~ and the simplicity is stunning.
    thanks for sharing it.

9. Emily 06.25.2011 at 9:49 am #

I have a HUGE crush on this quilt. HUGE.

10. Mandi 06.25.2011 at 11:41 am #

Oh my gosh! I LOVE LOOOOOVE your quilt! Thanks for the links as well!

11. Kari @ Ucreate 06.25.2011 at 12:11 pm #

Absolutely GORGEOUS!! Pinning this on my to do list!

12. lil' bit 06.25.2011 at 2:04 pm #

so wonderfuly simple, makes me want to make a new quilt for my bed! =o)

13. Krista 06.25.2011 at 2:50 pm #

Thank you for breaking it down!! I might tweak the measurements to do a pair of twin quilts for my daughters, since the idea of very little cutting and piecing really appeals to me. I can only hope to make them as fun as the one on your bed!

14. Dalya 06.25.2011 at 5:21 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing!

I’ve bookmarked and have some ideas :) I’m thinking of saving this for some big print fabric I’ve been hoarding.

Also thanks so much for the straight line quilting link, it’s awesome!

15. Carolyn 06.25.2011 at 11:31 pm #

I love seeing your quilt again! It really is so gorgeous!

16. CraftCrave 06.25.2011 at 11:36 pm #

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [26 Jun 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

17. sewtakeahike 06.26.2011 at 9:54 am #

it’s really lovely, Anna and I love how you used the large floral fabric in the center! nice job!

18. Lydia 06.26.2011 at 5:23 pm #

I’ve been meaning to comment on this now for awhile. What an absolutely beautiful quilt. You are SO great picking fabrics. I’ve never been much of a quilt person, but YOU have totally turned me on to them because of the amazing ones you have made…including Grant’s quilt that goes with his crib set, of course!!!
    And your mom said it’s even more beautiful in person…I believe it!

19. longredthread 06.27.2011 at 2:42 am #

I just love such colourful patchworks but I don’t have the patience to make them myself.

20. creatingmisericordia 06.27.2011 at 7:17 am #

Stop! Now I want to start another quilt…and I already have three on the go!

Thanks for the helpful links too…

21. Redo 101 06.27.2011 at 12:18 pm #

Are you kidding me? That is gorgeous! Love the colors you chosen, love the design. And there’s not a ton of piecing, so I think I could do that. Question: Did you machine quilt? Honstly, you’ve inspired me! :)

22. Maxabella 06.28.2011 at 2:46 am #

It’s beautiful. I like the simplicity and modern lines. I think I’ll get similar ones made for the girls’ bedroom. x

23. Ellen 06.28.2011 at 2:43 pm #

It’s perfect for beginning quilters, and a great way to use a favorite fabric that you can’t bear to chop up into tiny pieces. For me, that’s the hardest part about choosing a quilt design – I buy gorgeous fabrics first but then hate the idea of only being able to see a small swatch in the finished product. Thanks for the inspiration!

24. moxiemandie 06.28.2011 at 6:00 pm #

SO pretty!! I love it Anna! Maybe one day…What did you use for the back? I’m thinking of making a picnic blanket/quilt using a queen size flat sheet for the backing…

25. JamieS 06.30.2011 at 11:07 am #

Love this post! I have been thinking about attempting a quilt for my daughters bedroom. This would certainly be easy for a first project. I will have to start looking around for the perfect center fabric…
    JamieS@ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

26. Hearthandmade 08.23.2011 at 12:46 pm #

this quilt is absolute perfection!

27. Anne 10.18.2011 at 9:31 am #

Thanks so much for the tutorial! It was my inspiration for the new quilt on my bed!

I ended up just doing one side panel on each side of the center panel (just wider), and it ended up looking great! Thanks for making the quilting process less intimidating. :o)

28. Shawna M. 05.04.2012 at 1:41 pm #

I love this quilt! This is probably a dumb question, but I’m definitely a beginner! How do you get all those lines across the front, and that cool looking texture? I have never made a quilt, but would love to try this one. Thanks!

29. Anna 05.09.2012 at 4:02 pm #

Hi Shawna M.! The lines across the front are the quilting lines, for sure check out Tallgrass Prairie Studio’s straight line quilting tutorial that I have linked to in the post. The texture comes from washing, once you throw it in the wash and dry it, the quilt becomes nice and crinkly! :)

30. Anonymous 06.25.2012 at 9:24 am #

Oh, I LOVE this! I could easily combine this idea with a “His and Hers” quilt pattern I just saw (blue on his side, PINK on hers), and make a king-size quilt for my bed! Love it!

31. Nancy Baker 03.16.2013 at 11:45 pm #

Thank you for showing this quilt. I was wanting to make a simple one for a friend for her birthday, I sat here and made it in 2 hours with just a few interuption lol again thanks

32. Anonymous 07.05.2013 at 6:50 pm #

Where do you usually by your fabric from?

33. mom2pekes2 03.18.2014 at 10:23 pm #

Fantastic. Your ability as a seamstress and to convey your knowledge is fantastic. Your ability to teach in the simplest of methods is so important to me as one of your readers! I manage to get really bogged down when the information is posted in a complicated manner – to the point I will not even try something! This is a winner! Plus, I absolutely love the duffle bags! I see a future in making these also. Thank you so much for these postings!