summer madras tote pattern

[Re-posting this tutorial here in case you missed it, I shared it a couple weeks ago at Grosgrain]

So honored that Kathleen asked me to join in on the fun of free pattern month.  There has been so many awesome patterns already, and hopefully you’ll find this one handy for summer.

Noodlehead   summer madras tote pattern tutorial sewing tutorials bags wallets zips

I scored lots of madras last week for $2 a yard and couldn’t think of a better project than a fun and functional summer tote.

There’s always room in your collection for another bag, right?!  I hope so.

The best part is that the exterior and lining of the bag is made with 1/2 yard cuts, so I think in total my bag cost me around $8, not to shabby.  Plus I won’t feel bad kicking it around at the library, ice cream shop, and around town.

With two exterior front pockets my super important stuff won’t ever get lost at the bottom of the bag, and this tote is a big one.

Materials:

1/2 yard exterior
1/2 yard lining
1/2 yard cotton canvas – used as interfacing
cotton webbing (or sometimes called cotton belting) for handles
small strip of straight grain double fold bias tape, you can make it yourself with a piece of scrap!
size 14 needle

Cut:
2 pieces of each exterior, lining, and canvas to 17″ wide by16.5″ tall.
1 piece of each exterior, lining, and canvas to 17″ wide by 9″ tall
1 piece for the bias tape 17″ wide by 2.5″ tall
2 – 24″ pieces of cotton webbing

[1/2″ seam allowance included unless otherwise noted]

Prepping the exterior pocket:

Start by making the bias tape strip.  You’ll need to fold it in half lengthwise WRONG sides facing, open up, turn raw edges to pressed line and press again.

Take the three pocket pieces (exterior, lining, and canvas) and place them WRONG sides facing with the canvas in the middle.

Open up the bias tape, pin along top edge of pocket. Sew along first crease line.

Fold the bias tape over to the back (lining) side of the pocket and sew again close to the edge.

Baste along remaining edges of pocket piece.  Set aside.

Assembling exterior:

Place one piece of exterior fabric on top of one piece of canvas.  Then place the assembled pocket piece exterior facing up on top.

Sew down the middle of the pocket piece, marking a line with a water soluble pen if desired.  This creates your divided pocket.  You might also want to do a few stitches across the top just to reinforce the pocket.

Now place the remaining exterior piece RIGHT side down, then the remaining canvas piece of top of that.  Pin along both sides and bottom edge.  Sew along all three edges.

Now stick your hand inside the bag and pinch the bottom corner so that the side and bottom seams are aligned.  With your water soluble pen mark a line that is 2″ from the tip of the corner, perpendicular to the seam.  Sew along that line.

Clip corner.  Repeat for remaining corner.

Assemble lining:

Place lining pieces RIGHT sides together.  Pin.  Sew along both sides and bottom leaving a 5″ opening along the bottom edge for turning. Again as with the exterior, stick your hand inside the bag and pinch the bottom corner so that the side and bottom seams are aligned.  With your water soluble pen mark a line that is 2″ from the tip of the corner, perpendicular to the seam.  Sew along that line.  Clip corner.  Repeat for remaining corner.

Handles:

Align the raw edges of each handle with the raw edges of the top of the tote.  Baste in place so that the handles are 5″ apart.

Finishing the tote:

Slip the exterior into the lining piece RIGHT sides facing.  Sew around top opening of the tote.  Turn right side out through the opening you left in the lining.  Tuck in raw edges of lining and sew shut using a small seam allowance.  Push lining into the exterior and press along the top edge.

Sew two rows of top stitching along the top edge.  I suggest using a slightly larger stitch length for top stitching.

Sling it on your shoulder and you’re ready for a fun summer!  Thanks so much for having me Kathleen.

, , ,

24 Responses to summer madras tote pattern

1. Ruth 06.01.2011 at 11:17 am #

This looks like the perfect sized bag for big and small adventures! I think I need to make one…..

2. CraftCrave 06.01.2011 at 12:09 pm #

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [01 Jun 10:15am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

3. Jessica 06.01.2011 at 3:14 pm #

Totally unrelated- I love those yellow sandals! where did you get them?

4. -L 06.01.2011 at 3:25 pm #

This bag is too perfect. I need to get my machine out!!

5. Jenna 06.01.2011 at 4:24 pm #

love this, can’t wait to try it!

6. ayumills 06.01.2011 at 6:53 pm #

This could possibly my favorite tutorial from you, although all your tutes are great! I love this bag so much!

Love that your sandals’ color is matching with the lining of the bag!

7. Pink Stitches 06.02.2011 at 10:00 pm #

Anna, I featured this on my blog today! Thanks so much for sharing :-)

8. Mason/Sam/Family 06.07.2011 at 11:34 pm #

I whipped up a bag following your tutorial this last weekend. LOVE it!!! Great job on the tute, great bag. Can’t wait to put mine to use. Thank you! You can see my bag at: http://tssimplecreations.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-new-summer-tote-bag.html

9. Diana 08.10.2011 at 12:09 am #

Too cute! I hope you don’t mind but I posted your tote bag tutorial on my blog!

Cheers :)

10. Evelyn 02.20.2012 at 4:43 pm #

Thank u very very much! I just did one and it’s amazing and very simply. Love this! Can I add on my blog a link to your blog for this good tutorial? my blog: http://www.sijte-eko.blogspot.com/

11. Alexis 06.04.2012 at 7:45 am #

I cut out the pieces a year ago when you posted it and never got around to the sewing part. Finished it up yesterday and I love it! Thanks for a great tutorial. I’m now thinking about a second one :)

12. Ana Lopes 06.29.2012 at 3:34 am #

Hi Anna,
    I’m so glad that I found your genial blog, particulary I love the bags, wallets and zips.They inspire me, thanks so much for sharing tutorials. Your girls are so fun and lovely !
    I’ll like you to visit my recently blog, I love sewing and now finally I have time to create and learn more .

A friendly hug from Portugal

Ana (like you :)) Lopes

13. Anonymous 07.12.2012 at 10:55 am #

What kind of sewing machine do you have? The stitches are beautiful! I’m in the market for one.

14. Allie 07.22.2012 at 11:09 pm #

Thank you so much for this great tutorial! I just made it this afternoon, with just a couple of adjustments… (I used fuse-able interfacing. Plus added a small interior zippered pocket – if only you’d had a tutorial for that!)Here’s a link to my version: http://greenlass1968.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/400/

15. Corinne 12.02.2012 at 12:07 am #

Hello!

I stumbled upon this tutorial a long time ago and then pinned it. Later for my wedding I knew these totes would be perfect for my bridesmaids! Thank you for the great tutorial.

P.s it opened the door for my many sewing projects! :)

16. Doro von Hand zu Hand 02.17.2013 at 5:16 pm #

very pretty!

I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

17. Anonymous 05.29.2013 at 1:41 pm #

Love your bag tutorial. I just finished my third bag today following your pattern. I have made slight adjustments such as making 3 pockets on the front of the bag instead of 2. I just ran the strap all the way down to the bottom of the bag and sewed into place which then formed the 3 pockets. Your tutorial is always the one I refer back to when needed. Thanks.

18. Nancy 06.06.2013 at 8:59 pm #

Great tutorial. Thank you. I hope I can get started on this very soon.

19. I love plaids and I love your bag!

20. Anonymous 06.13.2013 at 1:44 pm #

OMG! Where do you find madras? All I see is the patchwork kind and I REALLY don’t like it!!

• Anna 06.15.2013 at 8:21 am #

I got mine at Hancock Fabrics, but I’m sure Joann’s or Hobby Lobby might have some. It’s kind of a seasonal fabric, so they should be stocking up now. :)

21. mrsgladrags 06.24.2013 at 5:18 pm #

Hi Anna, I LOVE this pattern so thank you for sharing. I made one up at the weekend in Melody Miller Ruby Star Orange Clocks :) I’ve just started my own blog & featured my make with a link to this tutorial on my 1st post. I hope you dont mind!! Here is the link if you want to check it out – http://fabricah.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/totes-are-my-new-favourite-thing/ x

22. granny 10.10.2014 at 11:51 am #

great for bathroom totes for teens, who don’t want any one into their stuff. Making one for each of the grandkids for Christmas and filling it with all their bathroom needs.