for the nieces

I was recently recruited by two of my nieces to make a few zippy wallets.  My one niece is in college (I know, I don’t seem old enough to have a niece in college, but I do).  :)  My other niece is in high school.

They’ve both worn through their first zippy wallets from two years ago, so I’m sending in the replacements.  I wish I would have made them sooner, but I really had fun thinking about what each of them would like.

At least I had their color choices to go off of, Hannah’s favorite color is green, and Ellie’s are yellow and orange, it made it a whole lot easier to decide.

I added a little keychain loop on each (similar to the loop in my little cutie pouch tutorial).  I know they’ll enjoy them and put them to use right away since I’ve been holding out on them forever, thanks for being patient girls!

Hope you have a lovely weekend and see you Monday for the second installment of Sewing with Knits Mondays and my special guest.  Yay!

Fabrics: Green wallet: Denyse Schmidt, Greenfield Hill, Etsuko Furuya, Echino
 Yellow wallet: Heather Ross, Far Far Away II, Denyse Schmidt, Katie Jump Rope, the plaid is by Moda, Happy Campers?
Maybe no one reads this far, but do you like it when I add in fabric designers and prints I used?

, ,

51 Responses to for the nieces

1. Jacqueline 07.23.2011 at 1:03 am #

I do like to know what designers you use!!! It makes it easier for me to find something if I REALLY like it. =) SUPER cute little wallets. Love them!

2. emilykidd 07.23.2011 at 1:07 am #

I absolutely appreciate seeing the designer and print name.
    Saves me hours of frustration and searching if I see something I like.

3. Jill 07.23.2011 at 1:17 am #

These are super cute! Love your fabric choices inside and out! I’m a mixed media artist, not a sewer, so don’t necessarily pay attention to fabric designers, as I’m not a fabric user. I do however appreciate the fun design!

4. Yadira 07.23.2011 at 1:22 am #

I like it! It is very useful.

Cute zippy wallets!!!

5. Q @ JAQS 07.23.2011 at 1:25 am #

Those are super cute – I’m not that great with zippers especially not on small items like that. And YES I read your whole post and I do like to know fabric designers :).

6. Valerie 07.23.2011 at 1:29 am #

Thanks for the inspiration! I have been thinking about making something like this for awhile. I am still a bit intimidated by zippers… :P

7. hart44 07.23.2011 at 1:52 am #

I love the fabric you have used for the wallets :)
    I made some of these for the Yr6 leavers to take to High school, they love them :)

8. bubblemonkey 07.23.2011 at 1:59 am #

I like when blogs mention designers, because I find myself saying “Oooh! I wonder what fabric that is?!”

Which fabric is the stripey yellow/orange? From Katie Jump Rope? I can’t find it anywhere!

9. Donna 07.23.2011 at 2:05 am #

I love your zippy wallets and these are extra adorable. Thanks for sharing your creations and patterns with us. I also enjoy reading about the fabric. You have two very lucky nieces. I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog! I marvel at what you accomplish and what beautiful work you do. I also loved your girls’ cute art work. Your blog brings a smile to my day.

10. Jess 07.23.2011 at 2:23 am #

Yes! I love your fabric sources and those wallets too! I am excited for Monday, too. ;)

11. Jenny 07.23.2011 at 2:36 am #

very cute. i love that sunglasses fabric.

12. Sheila 07.23.2011 at 2:55 am #

Great gifts – good knowing the fabric too – I have two teenage nieces who I am sure would love something like these.

13. longredthread 07.23.2011 at 4:33 am #

The green one is so pretty :)

14. Anonymous 07.23.2011 at 4:39 am #

I always read to the end of your blog! and should say that I have used several of your tutorials which are great, I used it to make zippy pouches for my nieces in fact!
    Great to know which designers do which groovy fabric too, can’t remember whose post led me to some groovy echino vespas I’d been hunting for from here in Australia. Thanks for the blog-so inspirational. Camilla

15. Jacqui 07.23.2011 at 5:37 am #

Not reading to the end would be like not reading to the end of a book! Have to find out who dunnit! I actually don’t mind either way with you telling us what fabrics you’ve used, but that’s because I’m supposed to be on a fabric-diet and won’t be rushing out to get anything. Sigh…

16. Beth@Wiccan Make Some Too 07.23.2011 at 7:20 am #

Wickedly cute!
    I would love for you to show this off at my Wickedly Crafty Saturdays!

17. Bridget 07.23.2011 at 7:52 am #

Yes, I do like the added fabric info and it’s something I often forget to mention in my own blog. Those are cute little zippypurses and I hope to make one someday!

18. Patti 07.23.2011 at 8:11 am #

I’m new to your blog, or so I thought. Today I discovered that I’ve obviously been here before :) because I’ve made several of your wonderful little zippy wallets! The one I use most I put a clear vinyl pocket on the backside for my drivers license. Love this pattern!
    I really like the idea of including the fabric info. Makes it easy to track down such cute fabrics!

19. Tara 07.23.2011 at 8:13 am #

SO cute! And yes, love having the designers and fabric names. Right as I started looking at your pictures I thought “gee I wish I knew what fabrics those were!”

20. Jeni 07.23.2011 at 8:19 am #

Those are so cute! How sweet that they wore out their old ones, they must have really liked them! :)

21. Grandma G 07.23.2011 at 8:43 am #

Those are super cute! I love your fabric choices… so fun!

Of course I always read to the end… don’t want to miss anything. :) It’d be helpful if you said which fabric is which, especially when there are so many, as it would save a lot of searching for those interested in them. I know, more work for you that way. :(

22. Belinda 07.23.2011 at 8:44 am #

Cute, cute, cute! Reminded me how much I love your little zippered wallets. Really appreciate it when you identify the fabrics you use. Still waiting for you to do a pattern & cottage license for these :)

23. Amy 07.23.2011 at 9:10 am #

You know Anna, I’d love a zippy wallet. Does it only work if I am related to you? :) Those are super cute. I bet they are in love with them.

24. hsw 07.23.2011 at 9:33 am #

I like knowing the fabric names, these are adorable!

25. Gingercake 07.23.2011 at 9:38 am #

very cute! Love the green

26. Patti 07.23.2011 at 10:05 am #

I think it’s great to know who the fabric designer is! I also just checked out your tute for this, and plan to make a couple to use in my 2-4-1 bag!! Thanks.

27. Pam 07.23.2011 at 10:40 am #

Thank you. I do like to know fabric when I see projects. My grandson need a wallet to take with him on vacation, and this looks perfect!

28. Christie @ A Lemon Squeezy Home 07.23.2011 at 12:13 pm #

These look great and yes, I agree, knowing the fabric is great. I see Jess doing it all the time from CINO and I was gonna start too–maybe it will result in less emails to answer ;).

29. Jan 07.23.2011 at 12:15 pm #

These are great. Yes, I do like to know what designers you use, and I think it’s good to read to the end of a post.

30. magdor 07.23.2011 at 12:25 pm #

The green is cute :)

31. RakelVT 07.23.2011 at 12:34 pm #

Muy bonitas las carteritas y muy útiles, felicidades.

Besos desde Puebla,México

32. Lisa 07.23.2011 at 12:45 pm #

Add me to those who do indeed read to the bottom! I appreciate you mentioning the fabric information :) Absolutely adorable zippy wallets–and I love your blog!

33. Mary on Lake Pulaski 07.23.2011 at 1:15 pm #

Adorable little wallets Anna! I still use mine EVERY day. And yes I love to know the fabrics/designer and YES the plaid is Happy Camper.

34. Kelly K. 07.23.2011 at 2:18 pm #

They’re adorable! and YES I love when you include fabric information at the end!! Thanks for sharing!

35. Dalya 07.23.2011 at 2:55 pm #

The zippy wallets look fantastic! I love the binding and fabric choices you used! I love home decor weight or linen blends, it’s always nice to see the different ways they can be used.
    I actually do love to know what fabric prints and designers you used. Sometimes I browse around on other blogs and have a hard time finding a print.

36. Amanda C 07.23.2011 at 2:56 pm #

I enjoy knowing what designers you’ve used :)

37. Heather 07.23.2011 at 10:43 pm #

Yes, yes, yes! Love knowing the exact fabric choices! By the way, I just put those little pouches on the Christmas list for my nieces. Perfect!

38. Trish 07.23.2011 at 11:31 pm #

yes, actually–I’m not quite obsessive enough to have to track down and buy the exact fabrics, but it’s always good to have the option.

these zippy wallets are so cute! and now that I see them, I definitely need to make one for myself. Thanks for sharing!

39. AddieNCE 07.24.2011 at 8:08 am #

I love the things you sew and I love your choice of fabrics most of the time, but for me there is no need to post which fabric you have used since using the same fabric would be like stealing your idea anyway… that’s a thing that I cannot understand at all why so many people want to make _exactly_ the same stuff that others made before. We all have our own imagination – we just need to use it… sometimes at least ;)

40. Care 07.24.2011 at 2:04 pm #

Super cute, as always!!
    And yes, I like to hear about the designers! :o)

41. veryberryhandmade 07.24.2011 at 3:42 pm #

So cute – and thank you for the fabric info – so useful. Wish I could find Greenfield Hill in the UK. :-(

42. Heidi 07.24.2011 at 7:23 pm #

Normally it doesn’t really matter to me if the fabric designer isn’t listed, but you used such cool fabric in this particular post that I found myself looking for a reference to the green glasses print before I even got to the end! I’d love for you to tell us so I can order some!!! It’s the perfect amount of funky without being wacky.

43. erica 07.24.2011 at 10:12 pm #

These are adorable! I bet your the cool aunt too :)

44. Thorson's 07.24.2011 at 11:44 pm #

yes, yes, yes!
    I always read all the way to the end, and love that you include the fabric/designer info.

45. Lynne 07.25.2011 at 12:20 am #

Another big thumbs up for including fabric designers. Thank you! (On that note, I’ve always wanted to find out who made the floral-on-plaid fabrics in your gathered clutch tutorial – I have searched and searched to no avail…)

46. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny 07.25.2011 at 9:04 am #

What great gifts, Anna. I love the placement of the glasses from the Etsuko Furuya fabric. I LOVE that you add the fabric info at the bottom of your posts… even though I spend a lot of money because of it :)

47. kendascrafts 07.25.2011 at 9:21 am #

love the glasses on the green wallet! so cute!

48. Carolyn 07.25.2011 at 11:23 am #

Those are really cute and the placement of the glasses is perfect!

49. Sarah R 07.26.2011 at 1:20 pm #

Gah, those are so awesome, Anna!! And your photo presentation is perfect. Complete joy to me is a Type A personality with a sewing talent, a knack for photograpy, and a blog. You rock!

50. Andreja 07.27.2011 at 5:21 am #

Both are cute! Nice!

51. elephantinthestudy 03.31.2013 at 11:35 pm #

I love how you have used the fabric. Nice. I would love one too:-)