knots shorts – beach style

I just about passed out when I saw Meg‘s guest post on Grosgrain last month.  I loved her knot shorts and although I said I wanted to make them that very night, I finally got to making them for our trip to the beach!

I loved making these, but man, it really stretched my brain in ways I didn’t think possible!  I wanted to fully line both pairs – and did, with much seam ripping on the first pair.

And maybe that’s the fun part of sewing for some, bur for me it just took forever to figure out what in the world I was trying to do.

So now we’ve got two girls in two pairs of reversible knot shorts. Emily’s have blue seersucker on one side and Cloud 9 fabrics sandpiper fabric (Beyond the sea collection) on the other. Natalie’s are a light gray and white stripe and the sand dollar print on the reverse.

Perfect for running up and down the beach:

sad to see you go…we’re back to the land of Wisconsin.

, , ,

29 Responses to knots shorts – beach style

1. Jacqui 07.09.2011 at 6:25 am #

I’m so pleased you got to make them and I love the idea of making them reversible! I haven’t made any yet, despite actually assembling the fabrics. I had an idea that Hazel could wear them over leggings which is very in here this winter, but she’s a skirt over leggings girl it appears, so I’ll have to wait until summer! I think they’d be great in a knit too.

2. Kerry 07.09.2011 at 6:38 am #

They are so cute- fabric choices too!. The lining adds a great bit of colour on the knots, totally lovely!

3. elisa.b 07.09.2011 at 7:04 am #

Adorable! What great beach outfits. And I love the fabric you used. May I ask who makes the sand dollar and the sand piper prints? :)

4. Liz 07.09.2011 at 7:28 am #

Wow, Anna, they are stunning! I want a pair for myself to hang out on the balcony, so pretty!
    Hooray for figuring it out after all and NOT throwing them out of the window! :-)

5. Amy 07.09.2011 at 7:33 am #

Those turned out great! I have those on my to-do list too. I like how you made them reversible too, smart!

6. tinajo 07.09.2011 at 7:54 am #

Love them – adn lovely colors! :-)

7. Amy 07.09.2011 at 8:50 am #

Gosh, those are cute. I’d love to make some for the girls. Do they stay knotted when in use?

8. JCasa *handmade 07.09.2011 at 9:34 am #

oh anna, they’re adorable! love the beachy fabrics + colors. xoxo

9. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy 07.09.2011 at 10:48 am #

they came out adorable! I love those shorts too, and have been meaning to get around to making them…I love the thought of making them reversible. the fabric you chose is fabulous (as always – you have great taste!).

Love them! And now have a hankering for getting to the beach :)

10. Ana Degenaar 07.09.2011 at 10:53 am #

Oh, I love those to bits!!

11. Carolyn 07.09.2011 at 12:01 pm #

Oh, I loved those shorts when I saw the pattern too and have been thinking about getting my butt in gear to make them (we’ll see if that actually happens…)
    Yours are absolutely gorgeous! I love the fabric combos that you chose!

12. Emily 07.09.2011 at 1:07 pm #

These are darling!! Love that they’re reversible!! Great fabric choices, as usual. :)

13. JoChapeau 07.09.2011 at 3:28 pm #

So cute, those shorts !

14. Kristie 07.09.2011 at 6:25 pm #

Cute shorts!

We are actually HEADING to Wisconsin next week…didn’t realize that is where you are from! We are going to take in Wisconsin Dells and those crazy water parks ;)

15. Jessica 07.09.2011 at 6:36 pm #

these are so cute! Love the seersucker.

16. tink's mom 07.09.2011 at 10:01 pm #

I do love the shorts but I’m actually here to comment on your zippered pouch tutorial. I made my first one today (for Me) to match a bag I made last week. I followed your instructions step by step and with the exception of breaking my needle (somewhere you did mention to be careful about that) on the zipper it was a flawless project. Many thanks. I showed it off to my sister this eventing and she now has me scheduled to whip one out for her in the morning. Selina

17. Katie 07.09.2011 at 10:24 pm #

These are adorable!

18. tusen 07.10.2011 at 1:33 am #

What a great idea to make them reversible. I’m sure they’re worth all your brain streching and seam ripping :)
    And your girls look lovely in them, thanks for sharing the photos :)

19. sewtakeahike 07.10.2011 at 9:21 am #

Your perserverance with the double sided knot shorts really paid off, Anna! They are adorable and it looks like your girls love them! You are the queen. I bow down!

20. sweetunwrappinglife 07.10.2011 at 10:46 am #

These are so adorable Anna! I wanted to make some for my girls when I first saw them too, but it’s winter here in Oz so I’m waiting! Reversible is a brilliant idea, so now I have to do that too :) Care to share how you did it? You could save me an hour (or probably longer) of head scratching :) did you sew the hem or the waistband together first?

21. Erin 07.10.2011 at 2:57 pm #

you are a wonder! these are perfect for the beach :) lovely fabrics as always…

22. Emily Elizabeth 07.10.2011 at 10:27 pm #

Oh man these are cute! And perfect fabric choices – love the sandpiper!

23. Anonymous 07.11.2011 at 1:02 pm #

Are beautiful!

Hope you enjoyed the beach

Esther ♥

24. Sarah R 07.11.2011 at 2:00 pm #

Those are SO cute!! When exactly will you have your own show?? You rock.

25. n*stitches 07.11.2011 at 8:20 pm #

Very cute shorts! And I can’t turn anything away made of seersucker! Makes me miss the days my kids were younger!

26. Anna 07.12.2011 at 11:56 pm #

hey sweetunwrappinglife! okay, hope this makes sense, but I sewed the bottom hem first, then the side seams, then the center seams, then (and it took some flipping things inside out and together) the inseams last. eek, hope that makes me not seem insane! you can always email me if it doesn’t make sense. :)

27. claire 07.13.2011 at 8:35 am #

These are super cute!

28. Jennifer at Ellison Lane Quilts 07.13.2011 at 6:02 pm #

Very cute. I love the fabrics you paired together. :)

29. Andrea @ Strawberry Chic 07.14.2011 at 10:46 am #

Wow! Those are too cute! I really wish I had your sewing skills!