fall skirt

Noodlehead   fall skirt sewing

wheee! this was a fun one.  I love it when I spot a cool fabric and have an immediate project for it.  Couldn’t pass up this awesome print for $3.95 a yard at hancock’s the other day.  I knew it was meant for a skirt.

Noodlehead   fall skirt sewing

Noodlehead   fall skirt sewing
Noodlehead   fall skirt sewing

I chose the Simplicity 2226 pattern after seeing Karyn (Make Something) make it earlier this year.  It’s a great little pattern!!  It does really go into a lot of detail for a beginner, it’s a learn to sew pattern.  The only thing is that it didn’t go into seam finishing much, which is okay, but I really want to make something that will hold up for a while instead of shred apart after a few washings.  So I added my own finishings and it should last a while!

Noodlehead   fall skirt sewing

I was thinking it might be fun to do some kind of sew-a-long type thing using this pattern, would anyone be interested?  If enough people want to join in, I think it would be a great one for lots of figures, I think it’s quite flattering.  And of course with a skirt, the options are pretty endless. Let me know and happy Friday!!!!!

Noodlehead   fall skirt sewing

, ,

127 Responses to fall skirt

1. {Leila}Where the Orchids Grow 10.21.2011 at 6:15 am #

Look at you being all pretty in your new skirt!
    Love it, great fabric and it looks like a most excellent pattern. You take such pretty pictures Anna!!

2. Sharon 10.21.2011 at 6:18 am #

What a beautiful skirt! I love the fabric that you used!

3. Bethany 10.21.2011 at 6:33 am #

Very pretty! Yes, please let’s do a sew along! You are so talented!

4. amy 10.21.2011 at 6:38 am #

Adorable Anna! I’m in! I was just thinking that it’s crazy that I haven’t made myself any clothes, ever. :). You are gorgeous!!!

5. Crystal - crafty ave 10.21.2011 at 6:41 am #

I would be all over a sew along. The few attempts I’ve made at sewing for myself haven’t been very successful, and I’ve never bought a “real” pattern from a fabric store! Your fabric and skirt are both beautiful!

6. Crystal - crafty ave 10.21.2011 at 6:41 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

7. Jamie Lee 10.21.2011 at 6:59 am #

Hi, I would love to do a garment sew along. I have made a few items for my daughters that were made of quilting cotton, but I’ve never really used knit to any success. I have bought patterns, but they are so confusing to me as I just learned to sew about 3 years ago. I even bought a serger secondhand, but have never used it. I would love to take it out of the case and get it stitching!

8. Jamie Lee 10.21.2011 at 6:59 am #

9. KJ@letsgoflyakite 10.21.2011 at 7:12 am #

The skirt is wonderful, it is an awesome print and your photoshoot is darling!

10. Darcy 10.21.2011 at 7:20 am #

A skirt sew-a-long sounds like a great idea and yours is so cute, I’m in :-)

11. Jessica 10.21.2011 at 7:32 am #

I’m down for a sew-along! I think I need more skirts in my life. :)

12. freshaircrafting 10.21.2011 at 7:34 am #

Yes! I would love a sew-along! I already have that pattern and the fabric for it. I just haven’t had the motivation!

13. amanda 10.21.2011 at 7:38 am #

so gorgeous!! i love it with the bright cardigan – you are totally stylin. :)

14. Jamie 10.21.2011 at 7:48 am #

I love sew alongs, count me in, btw – pretty skirt!

15. papelhilo 10.21.2011 at 7:54 am #

you’re beautiful !

16. LT 10.21.2011 at 7:55 am #

I’d be up for a sew-a-long. Seems like a great skirt (especially your incarnation), and a good intro to making clothing! If you do a sew-a-long would it be possible to start at the beginning beginning? Like choosing the fabric? I think that’s part of what scares me the most with clothing is making sure I have the right fabric for the pattern. Thanks!

17. Em 10.21.2011 at 8:19 am #

Sounds fun. I need to make something for myself, I think.

18. by night 10.21.2011 at 8:20 am #

how lovely! I really like the pictures (especially the last one) and the entire outfit. Now, i want a yellow cardigan too ;-)))

19. Leslie 10.21.2011 at 8:20 am #

this skirt is so cute….the whole outfit is awesome. you look great

20. LeeAnn 10.21.2011 at 8:26 am #

This summer I finally had success self drafting the perfect A-line skirt. I really wish I had a Hancocks close by. The fabric was a great find! And I have to know, where did you get your boots?!!!

21. Sonia 10.21.2011 at 8:33 am #

OMG I would! I’ve only made a wrap skirt, but I”m just itching to make a “regular” skirt. That would be so awesome!

22. Christine 10.21.2011 at 8:34 am #

Would love to join in, made your vintage skirt for me & a friends little one, just LOVE the pattern! Plan on turning it into a wear below the belly fall maternity skirt for my bestie. You are a sewing goddess and i can’t wait to try this pattern too:) Thanks for sharing Anna!

23. Liz @ LivingMySweetLife 10.21.2011 at 8:44 am #

it’s lovely! I love the whole outfit actually. :) I would love to do a sew along, I recently lost some weight and now I am very interested in sewing some clothes for me!

24. Sasha 10.21.2011 at 8:49 am #

I love it!!! Your whole outfit looks so cute!!! I’m a little jealous that you have brown tall boots with no heal. I can’t seem to find any in my size LOL. I would love a sew along. I have a few fabric and patterns for clothes, but I’m too chicken to make them :(

25. Isisjem 10.21.2011 at 8:52 am #

I would love to sew along if I could get hold of the pattern. Now bricks and mortar sewing stores are thin on the ground it’s really hard to find brands like Simplicity as online fabric stores seem to concentrate on the designer patterns like Amy Butler, Anna Maria Horner etc

26. Robyn 10.21.2011 at 8:54 am #

Looks awesome! And would love to do a sew-a-along :) The pattern does look very flattering. Thanks for sharing!

27. Jen 10.21.2011 at 9:00 am #

I would love to join a sew along. I have been wanting to make a corduroy skirt for fall. Do you think this pattern would adapt well to a 21 wale cord? If not, I can always pick another cute fabric.

28. Jeni 10.21.2011 at 9:01 am #

LOVE! That fabric is perfect for fall! And seriously, you are too cute!

Yes please! I have this pattern and fabric waiting but am a little scared to try! Would love a sew along! :)

29. Beth @ Remarkably Domestic 10.21.2011 at 9:02 am #

That *is* a great fabric. I’d love to do a sewalong, although I’m pretty novice when it comes to sewing. Like, I can sew a Halloween costume, but something that you have to wear and look normal is kind of rough for me. But I do love this skirt… and the look with tights and boots!

30. Cindy 10.21.2011 at 9:04 am #

Anna, this is really, really cute!! You did a great job and it’s such a cute outfit!! :)

31. Sandy 10.21.2011 at 9:05 am #

A sew-along would be awesome! I’ve been wanting to make a garment but am really scared to try it on my own!

32. Noni 10.21.2011 at 9:12 am #

LOVE IT! Plus the whole outfit is gorgeous ^-^

33. Allison B 10.21.2011 at 9:17 am #

YES! love doing skirts, and seeing all the possibilities one pattern can have. I’m in!

34. Jenny 10.21.2011 at 9:40 am #

Love the skirt, and the use of pattern. I enjoy sewing garments so I’m usually sewing something.

When it comes to well finished garments, Simplicity never finishes an edge unless it’s the bodice facing, and still then it’s unfinished at the zipper. I always read ahead and figure out where to change the pattern and make it more finished, adding notes in the directions. Simplicity isn’t the only pattern manufacturer that leaves seams looking rough, so I read and visualize every pattern (for about 3 days).

35. Kasey 10.21.2011 at 9:44 am #

I’d love to do a sew-along with this pattern. I’m always in need of skirts, and this one is cute! I’ve never participated in a sew-along before, but I think it would be fun to try.

36. Karrie 10.21.2011 at 9:56 am #

I love this skirt! Thanks for sharing it!!

37. ButtonMad 10.21.2011 at 9:58 am #

I’d love to participate in a sew along – great skirt

38. Natalie 10.21.2011 at 10:00 am #

LOVE the skirt and LOVE the way you styled it!!

39. karyn 10.21.2011 at 10:03 am #

i love the fabric you chose for this, anna! it turned out so super cute. aren’t those pockets just the best? i want pockets like that in all my skirts now. i need to make another one, so i’d sew along with you too!

40. lrstitched.com 10.21.2011 at 10:04 am #

So cute! I would definitely sew-along!

41. MN2NM 10.21.2011 at 10:05 am #

Love those pockets! I’d definitely be interested in a sew-along!

42. Angie 10.21.2011 at 10:06 am #

The skirt is awesome, but wouldn’t have near the impact without your impeccable styling. The yellow sweater and boots were perfect!

43. Amanda 10.21.2011 at 10:09 am #

I’d love a sew along with this skirt! I haven’t yet gotten up the courage to sew a piece of clothing for myself and I know with your amazing instructions and photos I would do just fine! :)

44. The Fire Wife 10.21.2011 at 10:20 am #

I think I’d like to try!

45. Jesy 10.21.2011 at 10:20 am #

Very Cute~ I don’t wear skirts often but I could see myself wearing this one :) WTG!

46. Robert 10.21.2011 at 10:23 am #

Yes for the sew a long! Also, where did you get your boots? elliemakesit (at) gmail (dot) com

47. Emily 10.21.2011 at 10:23 am #

Pretty! I have to buy a skirt for my very casual mother’s wedding coming up next month. I just might try my hand at sewing something! Although it has been many years since I’ve sewn clothes (bags, yes, clothing, no.) I’m jotting down the pattern number and just might give it a shot!

48. Lynn 10.21.2011 at 10:30 am #

That fabric really is perfect for that skirt! I would love a sew along!

49. Kerry 10.21.2011 at 10:30 am #

Very cute- like the pockets a lot!

50. ESPERANZA 10.21.2011 at 10:32 am #

Otoñal y precioso, de todo mi gusto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ºo*

51. MaryAnnB 10.21.2011 at 10:39 am #

Anna,
    I’ll join the sew along! It would get me to get something done for myself!

52. Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts 10.21.2011 at 10:47 am #

So adorable- just like you!

Yes to the sew-along! I’ve never sewn clothing but would love to make a skirt for myself like that.

53. Kitten's Lost Her Mittens 10.21.2011 at 10:52 am #

It’s a beautiful skirt! I love the whole outfit!
    x Katherine

54. Susan 10.21.2011 at 11:02 am #

Love the skirt and the fabric! Skirts with pockets are great!

55. Jeannie 10.21.2011 at 11:07 am #

Awesome as usual!! Love the whole outfit. Too old for short skirts but you ladies go for it!!

56. Kristie 10.21.2011 at 11:13 am #

I’d be up for a sew along. I’ve been looking for a pattern for a skirt this style. I love the pockets. kristie_keely(at)yahoo(d0t)com

57. BumbleSweetDesigns 10.21.2011 at 11:38 am #

Love love love! Great pattern, too! I’m so nervous to make clothes for myself.

58. Jacey 10.21.2011 at 11:54 am #

Such a fabulous skirt! I adore the print, and your styling. You’re such a cutie!

59. Ashley 10.21.2011 at 11:58 am #

cute, cute, cute! love that last photo!! I’ve wanted to make this skirt since seeing Karyn’s too – think your sew along might push me to buy the pattern and actually make one! yay!!

60. eholst 10.21.2011 at 12:05 pm #

Beautiful pictures – and I LOVE your outfit! Wish I could wear yellow…. Anyway, I have been loving brown with gray and black lately. I would love it if you would do a sew-along with this pattern! Would it be appropriate for velveteen fabric? I have been wanting to make a skirt of some AMH velveteen and this looks like the style I am going for. What do you think?

61. Ann-Marie 10.21.2011 at 12:17 pm #

great skirt! I love it with the yellow cardi!

62. Emily 10.21.2011 at 12:38 pm #

Just lovely! Love the pockets! I’m a little bit curious about the changes you made to make it last longer? PS gorgeous pictures!

63. Anonymous 10.21.2011 at 12:44 pm #

Yes! A sew along! Please! I bought this pattern and the fabric for it and then froze. I don’t know if it is because a lot of crazy things started happening elsewhere in my life or what but suddenly I am scared of it. Seeing your cute skirt is making me want to tackle it.

Genifer

64. holly | bijou lovely 10.21.2011 at 12:49 pm #

Sew along, yes! It will probably be the first one I ever participate in, this skirt is beautiful! I need some of that fabric!

p.s. you are gorgeous as always :)

65. Esther 10.21.2011 at 12:55 pm #

I would love a sew along. I’ve been wanting to make a skirt for myself for months now, and maybe this would force me to do it! :) I also love pockets in skirts. I think all skirts should have pockets. :)

66. Katy Cameron 10.21.2011 at 1:19 pm #

Ooh, I might be interested in a sew-along, that skirt looks fab

67. Shannon 10.21.2011 at 1:39 pm #

I would LOOOVE a sew along!! So cute! :)

68. Emily Curfew 10.21.2011 at 1:40 pm #

very very very cute!! i love this skirt, and it looks great on your. the fabric choice was perfect. i’d be interested in doing a sew-a-long. anything to motivate me to get going on clothes sewing. most of my sewing is for quilting, and i’m a little nervous to cross over into clothing. :-)

69. Poppyprint 10.21.2011 at 1:51 pm #

Yes, yes, yes please. I totally need hand holding and this one looks like it might actually look okay on my not-exactly-25-anymore-size. I have fabric already waiting for the perfect skirt!! Is yours cotton, or heavier?

70. luvinthemommyhood 10.21.2011 at 1:58 pm #

Sounds fun and you look gorgeous my dear…gorgeous! Love the pics….

71. Carolyn 10.21.2011 at 2:36 pm #

Love the skirt! And I agree – that is perfect fabric for a cute fall skirt!

72. Gelia 10.21.2011 at 2:42 pm #

Hi,

YES! Please do a sew-a-long! You are so clear and easy to understand. It would be fab for a little beginner like me. Thanks, it looks great!

73. amber c. 10.21.2011 at 3:04 pm #

i would love to join in with a s-a-l! love the skirt with your boots!

74. anotheryarn 10.21.2011 at 3:12 pm #

Cute! And how very timely, I just wrote down this pattern today since I’m looking for the perfect slightly gathered skirt with a rounded waistband – nice to see this one sews up nicely.

75. Vanessa 10.21.2011 at 4:11 pm #

I’m interested! Greetings from Costa Rica!!!

76. Sara 10.21.2011 at 4:38 pm #

I’m so glad you posted about this! I have that pattern and I just may have the perfect knit fabric to go with it. Your cute photos may be just the inspiration I need to get going. And I’d definitely be up for a sew-along.

77. Rebekah 10.21.2011 at 4:40 pm #

I love the skirt…so cute! I especially like the pockets :). I’d be interested in doing a sew a-long…sounds like fun!

-Rebekah (www.twinkleandtwine.com)

78. Fab 10.21.2011 at 4:44 pm #

Hi Anna, Loooveee the skirt and the fabric so fabulous. Awesome job.

79. Rachel Hauser 10.21.2011 at 4:52 pm #

Sure, a sew-along sounds great. I wonder how foolish I’d look in a patchwork version?

80. Caity 10.21.2011 at 5:01 pm #

id love to do a sew along to this skirt – its just heading to summer here in australia – but that skirt pattern will be perfect for my pending beach holiday!

81. Allison 10.21.2011 at 5:35 pm #

I would love to participate in a sew-along! Super cute and I have just the fabric.

82. tracy_a 10.21.2011 at 5:38 pm #

wonderful skirt! great fabric find and lovely all together together!

83. kristin 10.21.2011 at 6:10 pm #

freakin’ adorable! i’m in for a sewalong! i really need a reliable, easy pattern to make myself some skirts. this looks perfect.

84. Maureen Cracknell Handmade 10.21.2011 at 6:16 pm #

I love it so much, your whole outfit actually!!!

I want one or several!!!

85. Jo 10.21.2011 at 6:39 pm #

Great skirt, and I love the fabric. I bought this pattern recently as I loved Karen’s too but haven’t made it yet – I’d definitely be in on a sew-in.

86. Jess 10.21.2011 at 7:25 pm #

wow chickadee, love the skirt! (apparently the rest of blogland does, too! lol!) I would love a sew-along! I actually have that pattern and now seeing your fabric I want to make that exact skirt. ;) Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

87. chris 10.21.2011 at 9:36 pm #

Um, perfect fabric! I would love to see how you put it together.

88. Erin 10.21.2011 at 9:49 pm #

super cute! i have never participated in a sew along but I have always wanted to!

89. Stephanie 10.21.2011 at 9:52 pm #

I would love a sew along, esp. if you showed us how to finish things so they don’t fall apart…

90. christinaree 10.21.2011 at 10:22 pm #

I love that skirt and would completely be interested in a sew along! This looks like a pattern that I could make a dozen times!!!

91. Melissa 10.21.2011 at 10:45 pm #

A sew along would be great. I love that skirt!

92. quirky granola girl 10.22.2011 at 12:06 am #

the skirt is lovely and looks great in that pattern. however, that 3rd picture of you is a stunner. you look absolutely gorgeous.

93. ayumills 10.22.2011 at 12:16 am #

You look so cute in the outfit, Anna! I love your style! And YES to the sew-along! I would looove to make this skirt for myself!

94. amy 10.22.2011 at 12:29 am #

love the skirt, love the boots, love these pics of you… so cute!! xo amy

95. Christie @ A Lemon Squeezy Home 10.22.2011 at 12:44 am #

You do look great!!! And I have to ask where those boots are from? Target? I’ve been wanting some flat boots forever and have tried a couple different ones from Target but didn’t end up loving them once I got them home.

96. Mauri 10.22.2011 at 1:37 am #

nice work girl! Oh boy.. a sew along.. I tell ya, what a great motivator.. gotta be out this time, even though that skirt is super cute and I have the boots to go with it- sitting in my closet getting dusty (sad).
    love the pics-

97. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy 10.22.2011 at 8:37 am #

Very very cool!!! I love that skirt Anna!!! I want one in my size! LOoooooooooooooooooooooove

98. Larissa 10.22.2011 at 9:04 am #

well, I love the skirt, but the whole outfit is delightful. You are making me want to sew for me.

99. Krista 10.22.2011 at 9:27 am #

I love the fabric, and the yellow you paired with it. And I have almost the same exact boots. I love them this fall. Oh and yes — I would love a sew along for the skirt!

100. BJ is Quilting! 10.22.2011 at 1:14 pm #

Sew lovely!!!

101. Annelies 10.22.2011 at 6:44 pm #

Just bought the pattern….I am SEW IN!!!!! When does the SAL fun begin????

102. Cirque Du Bebe 10.22.2011 at 6:44 pm #

Hi Anna! Just stopped by to check out your blog and say THANKS for your lovely comment you left on mine :). I’ll definately be back. I LOVE this skirt and the fabric is just perfect, looks realy neat with yellow too. Would definately be interested in a sew-a-long.

103. Laura 10.22.2011 at 7:14 pm #

This skirt looks lovely. I’ve never sewn something for myself but recently bought some fabric to make myself a skirt so I’d love a sew along, as long as I can find the pattern in the UK.

104. megan 10.22.2011 at 10:57 pm #

a sew along would be awesome! I love the pockets you did on yours! i will be checking back for the sew along ;)

105. Katie B. 10.23.2011 at 12:10 am #

So cute! I’d love a sew-Along!

106. Lizzet 10.23.2011 at 12:55 am #

It will be great to do a sew-a-long! I have the right fabric for it and I am off to get the pattern! I have a few more things on the go so I’ll keep my eye open if you decide to do the sewalong ;)
    Gorgeous fabric and it looks like you did a great job xx

107. Domestic Artisan 10.23.2011 at 8:42 am #

It’s lovely and a sew-along would be wonderful. I love a skirt with pockets!

108. FullertonRegan 10.23.2011 at 5:08 pm #

I cannot get enough of ikat, yet I’ve not bought any! Must remedy that.

Great skirt and I’m sure you’ll have loads of peeps follow a sew-along.

109. Lydia 10.23.2011 at 5:42 pm #

LOVE the skirt…I want one!
    And you look beautiful in these photos…model material! :) I really like that skirt, great fabric and style! Looking good, SIL!!

110. Angela 10.23.2011 at 6:04 pm #

I’d be up for a sew-along! It looks like a great style and I’ve been meaning to get round to making something for ME for a while!

111. Addy 10.23.2011 at 9:08 pm #

I’d love to do a sew-along! Although I’ve made many skirts with patterns, I feel like I might learn something new from you. And I like the pattern and could use a fall skirt!

112. Ruby 10.24.2011 at 6:21 am #

That IS a great pattern. I made a denim version earlier this summer, posted here: http://zaaberry.blogspot.com/2011/09/new-skirt-for-me.html

I actually had to alter mine quite a bit to get it to fit right, but I would definitely make another via a sewalong with you!

Thanks!

113. Madame_izab0u 10.24.2011 at 11:23 am #

Yes Yes Yes for a tutorial! Love them and since I’m in coooold Canada, a fall/winter skirt would be great!

Merci!

114. Evan Jamie and Maddy 10.24.2011 at 12:25 pm #

yes yes and more yes to a skirt sew along!!! That would be awesome!

115. Ashley 10.24.2011 at 1:19 pm #

I love that fabric and the skirt pattern!!! So cute! Please tell me how you made it!!

116. syocom 10.24.2011 at 2:41 pm #

I would love to join a sew-a-long for this skirt. So cute and I am always on the look out for a good pattern

117. Karen Sue 10.24.2011 at 2:44 pm #

Sew along! YES!!! I made 2 new skirts this summer and wore them all the time!! Great idea for a challenge to finish!!

118. Missy 10.24.2011 at 4:22 pm #

Yes, let’s do a sew along! I suck at sewing, but I really enjoy it. Maybe this would help me suck a little less!

119. Donna S. 10.24.2011 at 8:09 pm #

Very cute!!

120. gamybel 10.24.2011 at 10:28 pm #

I’d love to do a sew along!!!

121. Cole 10.24.2011 at 11:00 pm #

Your so fun! I love this blog! =D

122. Nat 10.25.2011 at 1:28 am #

This would be so good for me- I’ve only sewn one pattern so far, and it was a coat for my daughter. I’d love a reason to do something for me!!!

123. sewkatiedid 10.26.2011 at 2:07 am #

Cute! Oh, and I want your boots.

124. V and Co. 10.26.2011 at 11:18 pm #

you are so pretty. :)and your boots rock. and i want your skirt

125. dana 10.29.2011 at 11:41 pm #

you are too cute. And wow! Look at all these comments! I’m glad you’re doing a sew along. fun!

126. Sachiko 11.09.2011 at 12:17 pm #

You look fantastic, and I love your cardigan!

127. Pati @ A Crafty Escape 11.09.2011 at 3:22 pm #

I love the combo of that pattern with the yellow on top!