Dress E – Stylish Dress Book

Mmmm, yes, I do love this book [Stylish Dress Book].  I had ordered it a few months ago and pretty much want to try every pattern in the book.  Don’t want to sound like a broken record here, but Karyn is a total inspiration for sewing with Japanese pattern books like these.  She’s amazing, check out her work here, blah, blah, blah, love it all.  Conveniently she also runs a nifty shop and started selling online.

So I pulled out my gift certificate to my local quilt shop that my good friend Dahlia had sent me, and scooped up some of this Anna Maria Horner Lou Lou Thi voile.  Yes, the stuff is addicting, just want to say I warned ya.

I chose to start with dress E, also on the cover of the book, which I realized shortly after deciding that’s what I’d make first.  Pretty pleats in the front, soft gathers in the back, pockets, what more could you ask for?

The pattern is amazing, I don’t know Japanese, but it came together pretty quick.  And yes, I can’t wait to try out more from the book!

I’m busy trying to get things ready for the sew along, luckily my camera battery decided to bite the dust, good ‘ol best buy to the rescue!

, , ,

41 Responses to Dress E – Stylish Dress Book

1. Amy 11.02.2011 at 7:55 am #

It’s beautiful and the voile is the perfect choice.

2. Isisjem 11.02.2011 at 8:03 am #

That looks stunning. Oh to be able to make clothes like that! My pattern arrived for the sew along this morning thanks to a kind lady on flickr so I’m excited about joining in. I’ve bought some fabric and pattern tracing paper (because I’m bound to mess up!) and will be good to go :-)

3. Kerry 11.02.2011 at 8:13 am #

Loving that dress! The pleats in the bodice/neckline make for great shaping, beautiful!

4. Grandma G 11.02.2011 at 8:27 am #

That looks so pretty and feminine!

5. Gingercake 11.02.2011 at 8:41 am #

lovely shirt! you look great Anna.

6. Ashley 11.02.2011 at 9:06 am #

Oh Anna, that looks gorgeous on you! I have that book too, having also been inspired by all of Karyn’s beautiful pieces, but I have yet to brave any! This makes me think I should get on that!

7. Jeni 11.02.2011 at 9:15 am #

Oh my goodness, it’s gorgeous! Go Anna! That’s it, I need this book! :)

Can’t wait to see the other dresses you make!!

8. Angela {fussycut} 11.02.2011 at 9:19 am #

It is beautiful! I’ve been loving Karyn’s, and it is so nice to see your version too. Perfect fabric choice!!

9. Maureen Cracknell Handmade 11.02.2011 at 9:48 am #

It is beyond gorgeous, as are you, and the photos! How funny that I just discovered Karyn’s blog, shop, etc. this past weekend via pinterest. I can’t wait to see your version of the other dresses! This is a book I must get asap. :)

10. gail 11.02.2011 at 10:37 am #

That is completely stunning! The book looks amazing, too. I really need to start sewing for myself!

11. QuiltyGirl 11.02.2011 at 11:31 am #

So cute!

12. Emily 11.02.2011 at 11:55 am #

Another lovely dress! :)

13. **nicke... 11.02.2011 at 11:56 am #

Very nice Anna! i am getting excited for the sew along.

14. Carolyn 11.02.2011 at 12:08 pm #

Anna, that dress is absolutely gorgeous! I love the print that you chose and all those beautiful pleats on the front! Just perfect!

15. amanda 11.02.2011 at 12:14 pm #

Well done, Anna!! That was the first pattern I tried from the book, too – and my favorite so far. I think I have done 2 or 3 other patterns from the book – they are all so good. I hope you do some more!

16. Andrea 11.02.2011 at 12:25 pm #

Cute fun dress!

17. Jacqueline 11.02.2011 at 12:58 pm #

LOVE Karyn’s blog, and ordered the book last week from her. I can’t wait for it to arrive. I was a bit concerned about the Japanese language, any advice? Looking forward to the sew along!

18. chris 11.02.2011 at 1:22 pm #

Be you ti ful.

19. Frau Wirbelwind 11.02.2011 at 1:37 pm #

Hello Anna, such a gorgeous dress and fabric! Amazing work – but I love all of your clothes, bags and everything on your blog :). Hugs from Germany, Frau W.

20. Erin 11.02.2011 at 2:25 pm #

Anna, this is gorgeous! That fabric looks delish :) Great job!

21. {Leila}Where the Orchids Grow 11.02.2011 at 3:12 pm #

ooh that’s beautiful Anna!! I bet that voile feels SO good to wear!

22. Fab 11.02.2011 at 4:22 pm #

it looks awesome, I can’t wait for the sew along I have my pattern already but not the fabric this weekend I”ll head the fabric store.

23. Rebecca 11.02.2011 at 5:19 pm #

That is absolutely beautiful! It looks fantastic on you!

24. Second Chance Tan 11.02.2011 at 5:27 pm #

You look fabulous in that dress…. the print and the style are really great, not sure I have the confidence to progress to clothes yet !!

25. Christina 11.02.2011 at 6:40 pm #

CUTE!!! You’re making me want to buy this book! I wish I had seen this post before I went to the book store today. We just got back! Darn. I will have to order it. I use to sew clothes long long ago, but have steered clear of it since then. However, seeing this makes me want to make this top for myself. :)

26. Poppyprint 11.02.2011 at 8:26 pm #

Another clear winnah!

27. Melissa 11.02.2011 at 8:43 pm #

Gorgeous! Love your fabric choice too! I have that pattern book as well. Love everything in it but still a bit intimidated to try sewing anything. Have only sewn children’s Japanese patterns so far. I’m also a huge fan of Karyn and her blog! Love her style!

28. venus 11.02.2011 at 9:14 pm #

Oh I love that book! At first I wasn’t that impressed with dress E, but after seeing what you did, It’s gorgeous! I’ve made dress N for my oldest daughter and talk about easy… LOOOVE it! I recently just finished a combination of Meg’s School house tunic with dress F. As soon as I can get some photos, I’ll post! Oh and your fabric… beautiful, baby! I have the blue color one. Okay, now I’m outta here!

29. kristin 11.03.2011 at 12:51 am #

It’s gorgeous and looks so comfy, too. Gotta love voile!

30. Pascale 11.03.2011 at 5:24 am #

How funny: I’m all into making dresses and tunics too right now… and I use Japanese sewing books too. I don’t have Stylish Dress Book 1 but have the follow-up one Stylish Dress Book 2 and love it! I made a silk blouse from it and it turned out really great! Now, after seeing your dress I’m feeling tempted to get book number 1 as well… It looks lovely!

31. quirky granola girl 11.03.2011 at 9:37 am #

i love how the colors in the fabric are highlighted even more with the pleats in the front. lovely.

32. Pierro 11.03.2011 at 10:08 am #

Very sweet. lovely fabric too.
    LOVE the pattern style.

big bonks from the cornish kitties and their servant, Rosemary

33. Kristie 11.03.2011 at 11:20 am #

This looks gorgeous on you! Well done! I met Karyn while at Sewing Summit, and she is adorable. She looks like a supermodel in her handmade clothes. I took a garment making class while there, and may need to buy one of these books to jump in to the world of sewing for “me”!

34. Deb 11.04.2011 at 2:35 am #

I love this dress and I love the fabric you chose. I made it a while back, but your post is reminding me how much I like that pattern and I’m thinking about sewing it again.

35. luvinthemommyhood 11.04.2011 at 1:45 pm #

Ohhh, I’ve had my eye on that book but have been a bit nervous about buyng it. So happy to see you make something from it. Love it on you!!! So pretty and perfect for fall!

36. Krista 11.04.2011 at 1:55 pm #

Looks fantastic. I have nearly the same brown boots as you. :) I’m obsessed with them this fall. Oh and can’t wait for the sew along! I’m ready!

37. Rachel Hauser 11.04.2011 at 8:14 pm #

Well, isn’t that perfect on you! Great look over jeans like that. I think you must tend towards tall ;).

38. Florence (Flossie Teacakes) 11.07.2011 at 6:09 pm #

This is gorgeous, Anna! This has been one of my favourite prints from that collection and it looks wonderful made up into a blouse. It looks like a perfect fit. x

39. Dahlia 11.08.2011 at 9:21 pm #

I just thought, ‘I need to look at something pretty’ and just tuned in to your gorgeous blog. :)

I’m so glad you were able to find some gorgeous fabric with that gift card! You look amazing.

You guys planning your Valdez vacation yet?! :) :)

40. Happy Together 11.10.2011 at 12:47 am #

ooooooo Love it! And I’m digging that print too! Perfect for fall :)

41. Melanie 02.06.2013 at 10:29 am #

How did you find the sizing for that dress. I just made it according to the sizing chart in the book and was so disappointed because it was so huge!
    I ended up taking it in about 4 inches on either side, which definitely helped.

Anyone have this trouble before?

I am trying out my second dress right now (H) and decided to make it according to my actual size (disregarding the sizing chart in the book), we will see how that goes!