hand printed fabric swap

I was lucky enough to enter myself into Leslie’s (Maze & Vale) hand printed fabric swap a month or so ago now.  Lucky, yes.  So far the two pieces of fabric I’ve received are just incredible.  Seriously, somebody has to get them a fabric deal, like now.  There’s something so awesome about hand printed fabric though, I love it’s qualities.  Modern, clean, natural are all words that I think of when I see hand printed fabric.  This is my loot so far:

Jesse Breytenback of South Africa

Leslie Keating (Maze & Vale) of Australia
I had purchased one of Leslie’s designs from her shop and then she also threw in some fun extras too.  :)

So here I am in my own little corner of the world hoping I’ll be able to come up with a cool enough design to make my swap partners happy, man, it’ll be tough though.  Good thing I’ve got my gear all lined up and ready to go:

And if you’re thinking about printing some of your own fabric I definitely recommend Printing by Hand by Lena Corwin.

Oh, and here’s a little roundup of techniques that Leslie had, too.  She shares some really great examples of what others have done using each technique:
screenprinting (multiple color)
screenprinting
stamps & leaf printing
blockprinting
potato prints

And I won’t forget to show off this little prize that Jesse sent with her package, I almost bought some from her etsy shop too.  I’ll be saving this for something special.

Thanks you swappers, I’ll be excited to show off what other prints I’ve gotten and tell you about what I made soon!

22 Responses to hand printed fabric swap

1. Nicky 12.05.2011 at 11:00 am #

Fabulous fabric – what a joy it will be to use them!

Looking forward to seeing what you came up with!

2. Karen L R 12.05.2011 at 11:46 am #

Way cool. Love that book, too. My lucky daughter just finished an internship with the gals at Ink and Spindle in Melbourne. She arrives home Thursday night and I can’t wait to see what she pulls out of her backpack.

I look forward to seeing your designs. No pressure, just speak your own creativity!

K-

3. Rachel Hauser 12.05.2011 at 11:49 am #

Those are some treasures for sure. Will be fun to see what design you come up with!

4. Jeni 12.05.2011 at 11:50 am #

Eee, so excited to see what you make! :)

5. {Leila}Where the Orchids Grow 12.05.2011 at 12:46 pm #

Gorgeous fabrics! Looking forward to see what you will come up with!

6. Poppyprint 12.05.2011 at 1:03 pm #

What fun! I was the happy recipient of some great prints from my friend Berene who participated in the swap. Unfortunately, my poppy prints weren’t on big enough pieces of fabric, so I couldn’t play this time. Next year I’ll remember to print on FQs when my poppy pods are ready for printing!

Have fun Anna!

7. gill 12.05.2011 at 1:06 pm #

Wow! what fabulous designs!
    Looking forward to seeing yours Anna!!
    Is the Lena Corwin book good for beginners?

8. Katy Cameron 12.05.2011 at 3:20 pm #

Oh what a fab swap, I’d love to give that a go sometime (but being realistic, that would have to be about next summer!)

9. Emily 12.05.2011 at 3:52 pm #

What beautiful fabrics!!

10. linda 12.05.2011 at 5:43 pm #

looking forward to see what you do the fabrics are gorgeous !!

11. Carolyn 12.05.2011 at 6:51 pm #

Oh, they are all so beautiful! I can’t wait to see what you make!

12. Susan 12.05.2011 at 7:44 pm #

Beautiful fabric! I see what you mean about hand printed fabric being special. Can’t wait to see yours and what you make of the pieces you’ve got.

13. Maureen Cracknell Handmade 12.05.2011 at 10:30 pm #

What beautiful fabrics!! I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

14. dana 12.05.2011 at 11:05 pm #

oh wow. totally jealous. those fabrics are gorgeous. you know, you could design fabric. I can picture your style very easily. maybe you should tinker with it. maybe you already are! I’d love see what you do :)

15. Fab 12.05.2011 at 11:37 pm #

Those a re some cool fabrics. looking forward to see your design Anna. :)

16. Pascale 12.06.2011 at 4:08 am #

Wow! These fabrics look gorgeous! It would make me really nervous having to put my scissors in them…
    Make sure to show us your design – I’m sure you’re going to come up with something really great too!
    Cheers,
    P.

17. Jules 12.06.2011 at 11:28 am #

can’t wait to see what you make! have fun. And i hope that everything else is going better for you too.

18. Sheila 12.06.2011 at 9:54 pm #

Oh, those are gorgeous! This sounds like such a fun swap to be in! I just recently started making my own block-printed fabrics and I’ve been really enjoying it. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

19. Kate 12.07.2011 at 12:41 am #

Beautiful fabrics! Can’t wait to see what all you make, and read your tips on block printing. I’m so jelly of that awesome cotton tape in your hand. I might have to invest!

20. gret 12.09.2011 at 5:09 am #

Gorgeous fabrics Anna! Bet you can;t wait to use them (or maybe just gaze at them for a while). I’ve just used Leslie’s DIY advent numbers for my calendar, and they’re perfectly printed. :)

21. leslie 12.09.2011 at 3:35 pm #

aw, thanks for the shout out! aren’t jesse’s designs AMAZING??? so awesome to see them in person.

22. quirky granola girl 12.12.2011 at 10:05 am #

i’ve been planning all sorts of fabric printing projects in my head. i wish i had time to make them. i’m excited to see what you come up with :)