i learned how to knit

Hope you all had a great holiday and enjoyed lots of time with family and friends.  You’ll never believe it, but yes, I finally learned how to knit.  My Aunt Mary sat down with me and showed me a few of the tricks.  I learned how to cast on and made it through quite a few rows  before screwing up.  But man, it was really fun and I’m glad I got a good start.  I’m really excited to pick up a pair of needles of my own this week.

Noodlehead   i learned how to knit uncategorized

It was pretty fun learning and messing up, and of course it was really fun being corrected by my cousin’s 10 year old daughter who already knows how to knit a pretty mean scarf.

Can you believe it Shannon?  Now maybe I don’t have to drool over all these luscious knit things and can actually give them a try myself… mayyybe.  Yay!

40 Responses to i learned how to knit

1. Emily 12.27.2011 at 11:31 am #

Yay! Knitting is a fun challenge! Hope you had a lovely holiday, Anna!

2. Kandra 12.27.2011 at 11:39 am #

I just picked knitting back up and even posted a pretty simple dishcloth pattern on my blog yesterday. :)

3. nook. 12.27.2011 at 12:04 pm #

oh congrats! i’m so glad you love it!!! what a wonderful start to your new year! xo

4. Fiona 12.27.2011 at 12:33 pm #

Knitting is great fun – enjoy!!

5. Jennifer W. 12.27.2011 at 12:47 pm #

Oh yay for you! I wanted to learn how to knit for years, but couldn’t quite figure it out and didn’t know anyone who could teach me. I finally managed to learn this past summer thanks to youtube videos and I’ve been knitting nearly every day since. It’s such great fun!

6. Shorty 12.27.2011 at 12:54 pm #

Yeah for you! I love knitting and crocheting. I can’t get enough of either form of yarny-loving goodness. Enjoy!

7. jessyz 12.27.2011 at 1:23 pm #

Yay you! I love knitting, it is so relaxing and so much more portable compared to sewing. Hope to see some finished knits soon.

8. kristin 12.27.2011 at 1:54 pm #

oh that’s awesome! a friend taught me a bit last year, but i need someone around more regularly to help fix my mistakes. ;) happy knitting!

9. Stitched Together 12.27.2011 at 2:03 pm #

There will be no stopping you now. You are going to be soooo hooked! All the pretty knits and ooo the yarn, that’s it, better make room for some serious stashing!

10. miq 12.27.2011 at 2:10 pm #

Welcome to this addictive, and fulfilling world of knitting! I learned just this summer and was able to make 6 gifts this Christmas…you will be an expert in no time!

11. Vanessa 12.27.2011 at 2:13 pm #

Yay! Go you! I still haven’t managed to figure knitting out. I can cast on and knit a few stitches and then it all goes down hill. . .

12. Rachel Hauser 12.27.2011 at 2:35 pm #

Oh, that’s awesome! It’s so nice to get to learn in person. You’re gonna get addicted, just you see…

13. Heather 12.27.2011 at 2:59 pm #

lucky duck!!

my brain just doesn’t function that way!! :P

x, Heather

14. Sarah - Red Gingham 12.27.2011 at 3:55 pm #

What a great Christmas present to have given you. I’m sure you will be whipping up groovy dresses for the girls in no time at all! Enjoy.

15. Anonymous 12.27.2011 at 4:11 pm #

That is great! My mom taught me to knit last week it is a nice relaxing alternative to sewing (I love sewing but man, it can be exhausting!). When I don’t have my mom to save me, I’ve found knittinghelp.com to be great!

-Genifer

16. Brenda 12.27.2011 at 4:17 pm #

Welcome to the knitterly world!

17. Nikki - Lilybug_Designs 12.27.2011 at 4:27 pm #

I swear it’s an addiction once you learn how to knit. I love to knit and there are so many awesome patterns out there that are free!

18. Kasey 12.27.2011 at 4:40 pm #

Be careful–it’s totally addictive ;)

19. Angel 12.27.2011 at 5:30 pm #

Oh FUN! I can write poetry, I can paint and draw pretty pictures… I can sew, I can crochet… the only thing I can not do is sing, lol… and I have never learned to knit! I guess that is something on my to-learn list! I am so excited you have learned! Maybe a tutorial is in our future? ;)

20. Darcy 12.27.2011 at 6:01 pm #

So fun! I want to learn and then I think I can not possibly add one more craft to my already full plate, but still, it’ll probably happen someday. Oh and Happy happy birthday!

21. small + friendly 12.27.2011 at 6:51 pm #

I just learned to knit and it is super addicting! Welcome to the club, good luck!

22. Katy Cameron 12.27.2011 at 7:28 pm #

Woohoo, go you! Looking forward to seeing what that blue’s going to be…

23. Pamela Nees 12.27.2011 at 7:50 pm #

Congratulations! You will find it extremely addicting!! I have a hard time dividing my crafty-time b/t sewing and knitting!!

24. quirky granola girl 12.27.2011 at 7:54 pm #

good for you! i love knitting during family visits (perfect for the holidays). when i see my folks, my dad drives me crazy. when we visit the in laws, my father-in-law drives me crazy. either way, i have the zen-like motion of knitting to settle my soul. plus the added bonus of sharp instruments in my hands should the need arise :)

25. Karen 12.27.2011 at 8:23 pm #

Good for you…learning to knit! It is such a wonderful passtime and something you can taking along everywhere you go if you find a few free minutes.

I have taught a few people to knit in the past, the most recent one learned to make a dishcloth a day before she and her husband drove back to their home in TX. She went on to knit more dishcloths and then a potato chip scarf. You might try that also….they are such FUN to do!

Karen

26. Maureen Cracknell Handmade 12.27.2011 at 11:31 pm #

YAY!!! Congrats to you, Anna! Five years ago I learned to knit and it changed my life forever! You’re going to love it!!

27. Mauri 12.28.2011 at 12:15 am #

oh the knitting bug! yay! Watch out, this one can really stick because it’s soo mobile. :) The sewing machine is a beast to lug around, two needles and some yarn? easy peasy!

enjoy your new craft!

28. sewtakeahike 12.28.2011 at 8:28 am #

Congratulations, Anna!!! Knitting is a hard one for me, I just get all constipated and sweaty and stuff! I’m not kidding!! I would really like to be a knitter, but since it makes my blood pressure skyrocket and I can hear my heartbeat in my ears when I do it, I”m thinking I should stay away from the knitting needles for the most part! lol!

29. laurakam 12.28.2011 at 9:20 am #

Welcome to the dark side hehehe.
    You will love it. Keep a project in the car,,,waiting at dance class..at the dr office..at the ortho..honey I want to look at tires. You will be the most patient person ever and be amazed at what you get done in those little bits of time

30. Sew Much Ado 12.28.2011 at 11:42 am #

Good for you! I think I’m far too impatient for knitting, I’m afraid I’ll have to stick with my elementary crocheting skills (if you could call them that) for now. It is nice to make something that you can sit on the couch while doing though, isnt it?! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

31. Elsa 12.28.2011 at 11:51 am #

Oh, Joy! I love knitting, it can be such a relaxing thing to do!

32. Carolyn 12.28.2011 at 11:54 am #

It’s on now! I can’t wait to see what beautiful things you make!

33. sonia 12.28.2011 at 12:49 pm #

Next step: Ravelry and then You’ll be addicted! Enyoy it!

34. **nicke... 12.28.2011 at 2:38 pm #

oh yes! i can’t wait to see what you create. your yarn stash is going to quickly become as huge as your fabric stash…

35. D A Nelson 12.29.2011 at 2:04 pm #

Good luck with the knitting. It can take a wee while to get going, but once you do it’s great!! Dawn xx

36. Kristie 12.29.2011 at 2:10 pm #

Whoo hoo! Welcome to a whole new obsession, it is my current fave ;) Happy holidays, Anna!

37. Faith Jones 12.30.2011 at 10:29 am #

Oooo nice! I have picked up the basics but am having some trouble with my circular knitting for the Honey Cowl. I think I’m just going to make a scarf instead. :)

38. Andee 12.30.2011 at 10:34 am #

Congrats on learning to knit! I have only been knitting a few years and love it too..just taught my daughter how this past week when she was visiting…can’t wait to see what you make!

39. luvinthemommyhood 12.30.2011 at 12:58 pm #

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! So excited for you!!!!! I just did the biggest happy dance! Woot woot! You can so do it!

I expect you to join in at least one of the Knit Along’s starting up in 2012 :P

Big hugs and here’s to 2012!
    xoxoxo

40. Karen Sue 01.02.2012 at 2:52 pm #

Picking up the knitting again and wishing I’d paid more attention before. Would just love to have a yarn/knit shop and wondering what it would be that people would just want to be in my shop all the time…what is the drawing card there?? Of course, my personality!! But the shop details. I’d love to hear what people(knitters) crave in a shop.