my living/dining room

Hey everybody, since I’ve been busy plugging away at my swoon quilt, there hasn’t been much other sewing going on.  So I thought it would be fun to finally take pictures of my living and dining room area.  I bought a new couch and chair and rug from west elm last summer and have been slowly getting things finished, so I thought it would be fun to share it today.  I still have some colorful pillows to make for the couch and chair, but other than that I think it’s pretty much done.  Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll answer them in the comments.  We live in a 1 1/2 story house built in 1951, so I feel really lucky because it has tons of character, as well as really drafty windows.  Here we go:

Noodlehead   my living/dining room uncategorized
Noodlehead   my living/dining room uncategorized

Noodlehead   my living/dining room uncategorized

Noodlehead   my living/dining room uncategorized

Noodlehead   my living/dining room uncategorized

This is a cool cabinet that I found last fall at an estate sale, perfect for my collection of cathrineholm and kaj franck goodies.

That’s all for now, hope you have a great weekend!

39 Responses to my living/dining room

1. **nicke... 01.21.2012 at 1:39 pm #

very pretty anna! i love your rug. we used to live in a house with really drafty windows… they were so pretty but it was so cold!

2. Grandma G 01.21.2012 at 1:46 pm #

It’s way too neat. Are you sure you live there?!

Just kidding, of course. :) It’s lovely! I especially like those eye-catching plates on the wall!

(And I’ll bet it doesn’t look that neat all the time! ;) )

3. Erin 01.21.2012 at 1:48 pm #

Jealous on many levels, Anna, but mostly envious that it is SO NEAT! Tell me all your secrets…. Erin

4. Krista 01.21.2012 at 1:49 pm #

What a clean, cozy space! You did a great job decorating it.

Have you ever used that window film that you stretch across the frames and then tighten up with a hair dryer? My brother lives in a beautiful old house in Seattle, and that’s what they used on their windows until they were able to add storm windows to the outside. It really helped, and didn’t look bad at all.

5. Grandma G 01.21.2012 at 1:54 pm #

Good suggestion, Krista! I’ve used the window film for many years… it really helps a lot. If you have any questions about it, Anna, let me know.

6. amy 01.21.2012 at 1:56 pm #

It’s beautiful! I love all of your cool mid century pieces and that cabinet is fantastic! It looks so clean and minimalist. :)

7. Maureen Cracknell Handmade 01.21.2012 at 2:00 pm #

I LOVE it all and am completely jealous of your Catherineholm collection!! Gorgeous!!!

8. Flying Blind... 01.21.2012 at 2:07 pm #

Beautiful x

9. Tara 01.21.2012 at 2:27 pm #

Your house is really lovely. I love the color choices and furniture style you have blended together.

10. Mary on Lake Pulaski 01.21.2012 at 2:29 pm #

Love your style Anna! But you probably knew that already! Enjoy your weekend.

11. eloleo 01.21.2012 at 2:45 pm #

so organized and beautiful, my living room is always a mess

12. Kitten's Lost Her Mittens 01.21.2012 at 2:57 pm #

I adore your enamelware collection so much! Your home looks light and airy. Beautiful!
    x Katherine

13. Caro 01.21.2012 at 3:06 pm #

Love the look, especially the windows. I think they’re screaming for large scale print draperies — I saw the most gorgeous large ikat print at Hobby Lobby. Keep up the good work. You’re almost there.

14. Darcy 01.21.2012 at 3:14 pm #

Seriously, so clean! And more than a little jealous of your gorgeous catherineholm collection – so fun to sneak a peek in someone else’s house :-) Love it!

15. thea 01.21.2012 at 4:37 pm #

Your living / dining room is beautiful! I love the cabinet.

16. amanda 01.21.2012 at 5:52 pm #

You have awesome light in there! Can I ask about the rug? I think high-pile white rugs look so gorgeous on wood floors, but with 2 little kids and a black cat my man is skeptical, to put it lightly. What has your experience been like?

17. regan 01.21.2012 at 7:20 pm #

I’m loving that your house is so neat…..I can only dream of that! lol

I wonder……which chair at your table do you prefer….the funky/fun painted one, one of the ladder backs, or one of two vintage scoop chairs.

Thanks for the tour!

18. Larissa 01.21.2012 at 8:36 pm #

Love the light, the neatness (wow), and really would love to steal your Catherineholm pieces. Great collection! Thanks for inviting me over. oh, and thanks for including the blog on your Inspire page. That is so nice!

19. Em 01.21.2012 at 11:18 pm #

Beautiful, beautiful home.

(your table needs a quilted table runner (-: )

20. Poppyprint 01.22.2012 at 1:35 am #

Love your style!

21. toots2u 01.22.2012 at 4:21 am #

such a happy, bright, pretty home!!

22. mimondo 01.22.2012 at 6:26 am #

Very pretty!!! I love it!!!

23. Merle, Gisbert & Hannelore 01.22.2012 at 9:32 am #

really nice and great collection of cathrineholm!

24. Elsa 01.22.2012 at 1:08 pm #

What a lovely home you have ~ I’d love to see what it looks like from the outside too.
    The cabinet is something I’ve been looking for forever, guess I’ve got to keep looking!
    Thanks for sharing your home.

25. Katie 01.22.2012 at 3:48 pm #

I love your simple, clean style, Anna.

26. luvinthemommyhood 01.22.2012 at 6:46 pm #

I am moving in with you :P Seriously…how do you keep it so open and free of clutter? my kids fill up every spare inch of space. Love it all of your gorgeous bowls. So awesome Anna!

27. aaaandreaaaa 01.22.2012 at 9:49 pm #

Nice living space. Thanks for sharing.

28. Val Payne 01.22.2012 at 11:21 pm #

Is that the Henry sofa? The Hub and I were looking at it, but we’re couch spawlers and there was a question on how comfortable it would be after a few months.

So, do y’all sprawl? How comfy is it – day long football marathon comfy or single movie comfy?
    Thanks so much!

29. Delia 01.23.2012 at 12:28 am #

What a beautiful space. I like your simplistic style and all those pops of color bursting around your dining room.

30. ayumills 01.23.2012 at 6:05 am #

You have such a beautiful space, Anna! Love the simplicity and pretty objects!

31. dana 01.23.2012 at 11:35 am #

I love love love your place. Clean cute design. And Love those heart bowls! Where are they from?

32. Cindy 01.24.2012 at 9:32 am #

Very pretty Anna! So clean and modern looking!:)

33. Live a Colorful Life 01.24.2012 at 3:36 pm #

Having serious decorating lust over the mid-century modern furniture. Fabulous!

34. Carolyn 01.27.2012 at 12:29 pm #

what beautiful rooms…and I have to admit, I am in LOVE with that cabinet!

35. amy smart 01.27.2012 at 4:54 pm #

I LOVE your style, Anna. That last cabinet is to die for.

36. gret 01.30.2012 at 12:21 am #

What a lovely, inviting apace. Love it.

37. Anna 01.30.2012 at 1:00 pm #

sorry I’m so late answering questions! Here we go:

for a lot of you, no it doesn’t hardly ever look this clean, but it is probably the least used space in our house, we have our art/play room and kitchen that we spend most of our time in, which are usually pretty darn messy!

Krista, thanks for the tip!

Amanda – the rug has been pretty easy to maintain. It does shed like crazy (but is kind of letting up now). I heard a good quality wool rug won’t shed very much, oh well, this one fit my price range.

Regan – I love my white eiffel eames style chairs, hope to get the other 4 once I have enough saved up!

Val – yes, it’s the henry sofa. Other than it taking over 15 weeks to arrive after I ordered it, it’s been pretty great. I’d say it’s a one movie couch though, but maybe when we break it in more it’ll get cozier. The performance velvet seems to clean up like a dream though!

thanks for all your comments, :)

38. Annalia 02.02.2012 at 10:06 pm #

You have such a cute style! I keep trying to make my house more modern…and failing. Deep down I must be traditional.

Love your new rug! You should scooch your couch and rug up so that they’re partly on it. They look scared of it right now. :0…and your living room is so big, you totally don’t need everything against the walls. :)

39. orange county furniture 04.27.2012 at 11:53 am #

I like the way you have set up those rooms. Maximizing all those spaces is just the best thing to do.