pa-pa-pa panda bag

Noodlehead   pa pa pa panda bag sewing

I loooove this panda fabric.  Had to order it at least a year ago for Natalie.  Saved it for the perfect project I think.

Noodlehead   pa pa pa panda bag sewing

I had originally thought I could pull off this messenger bag for her birthday in May, but I’m glad I waited.  Sometimes I have a distinct vision of how fabrics will look in a certain project, but other times I don’t, and so I wait.

Noodlehead   pa pa pa panda bag sewing
[couldn't help but add the panda holding a balloon patch, I'm a sucker for pandas with pink balloons]

It’s the Messenger Bag from Little Things to Sew by Leisl Gibson.  A really awesome book that has just about anything you might want to sew for little people.  This is the small child size, I can see the adult size being really cool too.

Noodlehead   pa pa pa panda bag sewing

She loved it when I gave it to her last week, she said I was the most awesome mom and was most impressed by the adjustable strap!  I love it too, gotta use those more often.

Noodlehead   pa pa pa panda bag sewing

Only thing I would change next time would be to add another layer of interfacing to the back/flap piece to make it a little less floppy, but other than that, it’s fun to see it getting toted everywhere.

Noodlehead   pa pa pa panda bag sewing

Panda fabric purchased from SuperBuzzy, the one I have is gone, but here are some more choices
bias tape, handmade using Robert Kaufmann Essex Linen in Hot Pink
Lining is Authentic by moda, out of print, but Sweetwater is coming out with Mama Said Sew which has a couple cute text fabrics
black and white dots, unsure, but they sure are a good staple to have around!
oh, and I almost forgot, the strap is Summersville by Lu Summers for Moda

Noodlehead   pa pa pa panda bag sewing

p.s. I think I’m saving my tutorial that I mentioned for the beginning of next week, I want to sew up more samples!! it’s that fun!

, , , ,

33 Responses to pa-pa-pa panda bag

1. Grandma G 06.21.2012 at 8:22 am #

Oh, how cute! Love the fabric, and the panda patch was the perfect touch!

I have the book and have made quite a few things out of it, but not this bag. It’s now a must! I’m glad to see how the size fits on Natalie.

2. Katy Cameron 06.21.2012 at 8:26 am #

So cute, and love the wee panda patch!

3. Jeni 06.21.2012 at 8:29 am #

Oh so cute! That Panda fabric (and Natalie too of course) is adorable !:)

4. {Leila}Where the Orchids Grow 06.21.2012 at 8:51 am #

Super cute!! You sure are the bestest mum ever :D

5. Mhairi 06.21.2012 at 8:58 am #

If you need anyone to test your tutorial I am very willing. I love the dress and I can’t wait for the tutorial – and I promise to be kind but honest!!
    Love the panda bag too. It looks great and very usable for small people.

6. **nicke... 06.21.2012 at 9:27 am #

anna, this is so cute! i love it when the stuff i make for my kids is loved so much! it makes a fun thing even better!

7. Jenny 06.21.2012 at 9:47 am #

Darling! And very obviously well made. I’m sure she will enjoy it for a long time.

8. QuiltyGirl 06.21.2012 at 9:52 am #

The pandas are adorable! The bag is so cute, I want one! I love the size of this bag, it will work well for little girls of all ages!

9. moxiemandie 06.21.2012 at 9:52 am #

So cute!

10. Krista 06.21.2012 at 10:31 am #

Adorable! Even though it’s a kid-friendly bag design with the cute pandas, it still looks sophisticated. I have this book but haven’t sewn a thing for it. I’ll have to check out the pattern and add it to my “someday” list.

11. Tansy Dolls 06.21.2012 at 10:50 am #

Kah! This is ADORABLE! I love it and the fabric choice is so awesome.

12. LizA. 06.21.2012 at 11:38 am #

Thre is a new product out that I picked up at Sew Expo. This stuff is better than batting for purses and totes. A tote with this stuff isn’t floppy like the same tote made with batting. I will have to go dig it out if you’re interested……I haven’t used it yet but saw several examples and was sold.

13. chris 06.21.2012 at 11:41 am #

Darling fabric, amazingly executed bag as always. You are the queen of awesome bags!

14. christinaree 06.21.2012 at 11:45 am #

So cute!!

15. Meg 06.21.2012 at 11:53 am #

Love it! The fabric is perfect!

16. Emily 06.21.2012 at 12:59 pm #

That is the cutest bag and fabric combo!!! :)

17. The Cottage Mama 06.21.2012 at 2:05 pm #

That is SO darn adorable! I love everything about it ~ the fabric is darling. Awesome job!!

18. caralyn 06.21.2012 at 2:20 pm #

I love the extra little panda patch detail on the front flap! It’s little things like this that really make a project in my mind. Also – I’m diggin on the strap fabric too. It plays well off the pandas :)

19. kristin 06.21.2012 at 3:00 pm #

you are an awesome mom, for sure! great bag, i love your fabric choices. this pattern is on the “someday” list for me. :)

20. Simple Simon & Co 06.21.2012 at 3:41 pm #

Elizabeth and I were just talking about pandas the other day and how cool they were when we were kids and thinking that they would be making a comeback soon…and then I just saw you bag! SO AWESOME! Its adorable.
    -liZ

21. Cindy 06.21.2012 at 5:17 pm #

Sooo cute, Anna!! I bet Natalie loves it! Such a cute little “grown-up” bag!!:)

22. DKB 06.21.2012 at 7:25 pm #

Very nice. My little one likes pandas too. I’ve seen a couple of thesebags on the internets lately. Looks like I should add it to my list. Was debating whether to make it for my younger or older.

23. Laurel 06.21.2012 at 8:39 pm #

This is sooo great – love it! One thing I love about everything you make for your girls…you do such a great job of picking out fun children’s fabric that work for big girls. I’m not surprised that she loves it!!

24. Pascale 06.22.2012 at 3:29 am #

It’s absolutely lovely!

25. Micah 06.22.2012 at 10:29 am #

Anna, I’m curious as to where you would put this on the sewing scale: obviously it’s not beginner ;), but was the pattern pretty easy to read an understand, and did it go together pretty quickly, or would you say this was definitely an advanced level project? Just for reference, I’ve never had a stitch of trouble with any of your tutorials! Can’t wait for the next big reveal!! (squeal!!)

26. Delia 06.22.2012 at 3:41 pm #

Fun! I like all the pockets and the fabric is darling.

27. Lydia 06.22.2012 at 4:58 pm #

Love it! Perfect for Miss Natalie and love that she loves to carry a bag like her Auntie Lydia! Great fabric and glad Nat loves it!

28. Jacinta @ Kadesia Jane 06.24.2012 at 7:40 am #

Loving your Bag. Just blogged about my crafty weekend with my girls. I love all the crafty things. So relaxing and great fun :)

29. Merve 06.24.2012 at 11:19 am #

i like you bag sweety :)

30. Sandra :) 07.25.2012 at 9:25 am #

LOVE the panda bag – clicked on the link to check out the book it came from, and quickly realized I have the book already, wooooohoooooooooooo!! Love your version – it’s very cool to be the awesome mom. According to my (adult) children I’m only cool when I make tiramisu (says the oldest) or when I order subs (says the youngest), LOL. I’m pinning this post to my “reviews” board to keep track of your suggestions and changes – it’s always nice to see how someone has modified patterns – great inspiration!

31. sinabung 08.31.2012 at 4:20 am #

nice bag matching with clothes, how much is that bag?

• Anna 09.04.2012 at 9:56 am #

Hi Sinabung, I made the bag for my daughter, you can make one too though, the instructions are in the “Little Things to Sew” book by Leisel Gibson

32. Gong Mi 11.13.2012 at 3:25 am #

I was the first to your blog. But I love it here. I often came to see your blog.wholesale jersey