I love this color shot cotton, it's so gorgeous. I had to keep it on my shelf for so long just dreaming up with to make with it. This is the last of the pleated front button up dress/tunic parade.
Hoping I can get the pattern together sooner than later.
The covered buttons were so fun, I had Natalie pick which buttons she wanted, I think she chose well. Hopefully she'll wear the dress, if not it'll be passed along to Emily when she's big enough.
Hope you had a great weekend!
I think this is the perfect project to start out with younger children interested in sewing. Natalie and Emily were begging to sew these little quilts once we talked about them a little bit. It was fun!
They each started out by picking out fabrics from my scrap bin. Next I helped them each create a block. It was interesting to see how they did! Natalie had the hardest time keeping the fabric straight, Emily couldn't reach the pedal, so I did the driving. A good time was had.
So after they each made their scrappy block I added some sashing, free motion quilted it, and bound them using scraps! Really a great way to use up any scraps of fabric, batting, or binding. Plus now they both have a little quilt for their dolls or toys, it's fun to see them dragging them around to play with.
I think I sense a Hello Kitty sewing machine headed this way for Christmas! eeek!
How about you, do you sew with your kids?
Hi! Hope you had a great weekend. I'm over at Project Run and Play today sharing a little skirt I made for Skirting the Issue which is all about supporting kids in Foster care. Please stop by and if you have an extra minute, please read their Skirting the Issue post to find out about what more you can do to help!
On with the parade. This was actually the first attempt on this version of the tunic/dress. I had this sunflower fabric (long ago from Valori Wells) in my stack forever, like too forever.
I was thinking of getting rid of it, but then I figure I might as well dice into it and see what it would look like. My stash is getting smaller-ish, still too much, I suppose I'll be happy when I can fit it all in my shelves again. The good thing is that my scrap bins are overflowing. Yay!
Anyway, Emily loves her dress, it's so cute to see her button it up.
I love this tunic, seriously, love it. I had envisioned it for a long time after making this one.
The buttons really make it I think, they reminded us of sour cheery balls, yum. Those things are addicting, and I don't even like candy that much.
After thinking about making the pattern for the first tunic, I added this little twist, some fun pockets and I think I'm satisfied.
I'll be working on this pattern more, I think I'll be able to go up to a girls 5/6, possibly a size larger.
Thanks for stopping by and always being so supportive.
Well, had to make this. A glorified large version of the open wide zippered pouch. Yes, it's true. Not perfect, need to figure out what the heck I did wrong with the metal zip (besides accidentally sewing it into the side seam - twice).
Little leather handles (purchased here), wish I had some wider leather though.
The best part? This handy little secret exterior pocket, yep, there's two one on the front, other on the back. I might test it out to see what I'll use it for or maybe just sell it on instagram, haven't decided yet. It's big, big enough to fit a small kid in kind of big.
And thank you to my neighbors for their lovely wood pile. Cool background - check!
I'll just start out by saying that this is the worst fabric I've ever purchased. It feels like a cross between a dryer sheet and static-y polyester. I had pre-washed it and dried it, so I though it was going to be okay, haha. Once I started cutting the pieces it was super fraying. Yuck. Don't worry, I know it was my own choice, I was drawn in by the $3 a yard price tag and that it sort of reminded me of a Nani Iro print, but the similarities ended there.
I chugged through it, too stubborn to stop. Even the size 9 needle (which is pretty darn small) tore small holes as I tried to backstitch.
So here's the finished top, I love the pattern (by Wiksten, no doubt you've seen it made by just about everyone). Tried doing short sleeves which is really nice for summer. I had originally wanted to do some gathers and a bound hem on it, but forgot to add any extra room for the gathers, so I ended up simply hemming the sleeves after I shortened them.
So that's about all for now. Hope you have a great rest of the week! I'm working on a couple patterns right now, crazy, since I usually like to stick to one thing at a time. Just too excited about them both right now and figured I'd better get going before I lose my momentum. ♥
This is the second version of my grainline tank. You can see the first one I made here. I decided I definitely needed to go up a couple sizes and I think it turned out pretty well. A little low in the front, but since I always double layer tanks for whatever reason, it'll be great. I really love the fabric, Summerlove by Pat Bravo for Art Gallery Fabrics, the feel of this fabric is amazing. It's super soft!
I chose to do french seams, love the clean look of the inside. Don't get me wrong, I love my serger, but sometimes french seams just are easier!
Hope you all have a great 4th everyone! We had a blast at the pool last night, it's been so hot and humid, swimming's the only way to go. One of these times I'll remember to get a few pics.