a gifty

I love making gifts.  I love being able to think of the person I’m making a gift for and hoping they’ll enjoy using it and much as I enjoyed making it for them.  I especially love making things for my friends and family who really enjoy having something I made them.  I love that it can be so personal and useful at the same time.

Our friends are having their 5th child, yes 5th!  Whew, I give them credit!  They have such a beautiful family though and they’re so thoughtful and kind and have really stuck by us through good and bad times.  I wish we could visit them more often!

So I churned out 5 fleece blankets for each of the kiddos.  Who doesn’t love a good fleece blanket?!  I love that they’re so durable.  I simply rounded the corners and serged the edges to finish them.  We’ve had a similar handmade fleece blanket for about 7 years now, my kids still it drag around the house and love it.

I also had to make mommy a divided diaper basket.  I looked in my stash the other day and pulled out these three fabrics, a match made in heaven if I do say so myself.  Melody Miller + Lizzy House + Jay McCarroll = true love always.  :)  I couldn’t resist the deep purples.

I know they’ll really enjoy this little package!

, ,

31 Responses to a gifty

1. Stone Cottage Adventures 03.21.2013 at 7:33 am #

What a lovely gift! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Advnentures

2. dottycookie 03.21.2013 at 7:39 am #

That’s such a thoughtful gift.

3. Arja van Garderen 03.21.2013 at 7:53 am #

Nice ♥!

4. Julie 03.21.2013 at 8:33 am #

I love the look of this bag and would really like to purchase the pattern. But I am concerned at the functionality of it. It looks like it would be cute sitting on top of a dresser or in a bathroom window, but is it practical to carry it around with you? Or is there an option to make the handles bigger or in a different spot on the bag?

• Anna 03.21.2013 at 9:19 am #

Hi Julie, I guess I wouldn’t classify this as a ‘bag’. It is a basket that’s meant to sit somewhere to hold things. You could definitely change the position of the handles to suit your needs or make them bigger, that’s the great thing about sewing – so many possibilities! :)

5. Jeni 03.21.2013 at 8:33 am #

Such lovely gifts! Those fabrics are perfect for the basket! :)

6. Cranberry Morning 03.21.2013 at 8:49 am #

That is such a cool basket!! You just don’t find things that cute in the stores. Love your choice of fabrics.

7. ~ko 03.21.2013 at 10:38 am #

Gorgeous! I’ve yet to make one from your pattern but now I think you just pushed me over the ledge :) So crazy cute! And wowza on number 5! God Bless them!

8. sew.darn.quilt 03.21.2013 at 11:03 am #

Your basket has been the rave all over blogland, Congratulations!

9. kristin 03.21.2013 at 11:45 am #

Great idea on the fleece blankets, I’m sure each kiddo will love having their own special print. But that basket, it’s PERFECT. Those fabrics couldn’t be any more complementary of each other. I sort of want to copy it into a quilt or something. Just too good.

10. amandajean 03.21.2013 at 12:48 pm #

i love this! such a nice gift for friends. i tip my hat to them having baby number 5. i feel like 3 is a lot somedays, even though i love them to pieces. :)

11. Flying Blind... 03.21.2013 at 1:54 pm #

Beautiful gifts x

12. HollowSquirrel 03.21.2013 at 3:11 pm #

I feel the same way — if I make someone a gift, it’s because I truly love them. It is a gift from the heart. I’m finishing up my first divided basket TODAY for a baby shower! I’ll post a pic when finished — the pattern is really well done. THANK YOU!

13. Gale, Ky quilter 03.21.2013 at 3:34 pm #

I love, love, love this basket. Please explain how to order it without paypal & just my credit card. When I get to the purchase portion the only option is Paypal. Please email me at galew417@comcast.net. Thank you!!!!

14. Anonymous 03.21.2013 at 3:42 pm #

Your friends are lucky to have YOU as a friend! What lovely, thoughtful gifts.

15. Tamie 03.21.2013 at 3:42 pm #

Ohhh I love your basket. The fabric choices just sing. It is so, so pretty.

16. Marla 03.21.2013 at 3:49 pm #

Love the color combo on the basket. So pretty.

17. amy 03.21.2013 at 3:49 pm #

It’s fabulous Anna!!! The fabrics are perfect together.

18. Krista 03.21.2013 at 5:34 pm #

Gorgeous!!! I love the combo on the basket. And what a sweet gift for the whole family :)

19. gail 03.21.2013 at 5:50 pm #

what a thoughtful gift! and ACK! that basket!! each one you make is better and better! you’re amazing :)

20. Rachel at Stitched in Color 03.21.2013 at 7:08 pm #

Seriously, kids adore fleece blankets. Good call! Loving the fabric match you pulled off. Discovering those perfect matches is almost why I sew =) Ok, not really, but i do love it!

21. Cindy Cooksey 03.21.2013 at 7:20 pm #

Love that typewriter fabric!!

22. Jenny 03.21.2013 at 9:42 pm #

LOVE that combination. How perfect is that, with the dark outline of the typewriters that you can’t really see in the photo but you do IRL.

23. Falafel and the Bee 03.21.2013 at 10:57 pm #

OK that basket is GORGEOUS!
    Fabulous typewriter fabric.
    And great idea with blankets. In my opinion, you can never have enough of those {but then again, we live in the PNW where I always seem to be cold:)}
    ~Michelle

24. Willit Neverend 03.22.2013 at 12:42 am #

The bag looks awesome.

I just made a fake chenille baby blanket recently for my baby niece. I love the idea of something I made being loved and cherished by someone I love and care about (or at least useful for them).

25. Dahlia 03.22.2013 at 1:58 am #

5 kids, oh my goodness ;) Anna, it’s all so lovely! The kids will absolutely love their gifts and I’m in love with that gorgeous basket! You are so thoughtful, what sweet sentiments…we sure hope to visit you again soon too! I love it all, thank you so very much.

26. Ines 03.22.2013 at 12:40 pm #

Your basket is so lovely!
    I like the typewriters so so much.

Greetings from Germany
    Ines

27. Sew Create It - Jane 03.24.2013 at 6:47 am #

I love the fabrics in your divider basket…I have those in my stash too…hmm…snowy afternoon, just what oh what could do?

28. Erin 03.25.2013 at 2:53 pm #

love love LOVE that divided basket… just lovely!

29. J├ęsabelle B. 03.26.2013 at 8:02 pm #

I think that this besket is the nicest you have made so far…
    By the way, I have bought your basket pattern and I already made 3!
    They are pretty fun and easy to make, great work!

30. florists singapore 05.28.2013 at 6:19 am #

I’ve ever seen, you can include some more ideas in the same theme. I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in the next post. One thing I just want to say is that your blog is so perfect!