I’ve been doing a little rearranging in the sewing room since this summer. I don’t know, I guess I’m a little restless, but I love the change. The girls seemed like they were outgrowing their Ikea table and stools, so I wanted to search out something that would work and grow with them.
We have this nook in the sewing room where I had my armoir with all my clothes in it, and I was tired of it not functioning like I needed it to. It just took up too much room and didn’t suit my needs. So I sold it on craigslist, man, I do love selling things on there, it’s fun!
It took forever to come up with a reasonably cost effective solution for the shelves. Countertop pieces that length were crazy expensive and I didn’t think I could pull off making floating shelves that size. So of course I looked and found ikea floating shelves that were *almost* the right length, for cheap. Yes please.
But that didn’t solve the desktop issue. We ended up making it! Just sandwiched two pieces of plywood together, glued and screwed together, added a 1×2 for a facing and painted it. It’s great! We just used some cleats on the sides and back of the desktop to support it. Now I just need to get motivated to wax the darn thing so it can be protected.
Only problem is that the girls love it and use it all the time! Good problem to have. I had scored the little chairs at an estate sale over the summer, not sure if I’ll paint them or leave them as is, but they’re the perfect size and really sturdy. There’s another little goodie I just bought for the room, I’m excited to share it! Soon!