knit undies: take two

Noodlehead   knit undies: take two sewing with knits kids clothes

My second round of making undies!  I first want to say that I made the original undies almost 2 years ago (pattern by That Darn Kat includes both boy and girl versions – Pink Chalk also carries the pattern).  They were amazing.  The fit is hands down the best part of making your own, they don’t sag or stretch out.  They got worn constantly and held up extremely well.  I didn’t have to make anymore until now, and that’s only because they were just getting outgrown!

Noodlehead   knit undies: take two sewing with knits kids clothes

If you’re looking for a great project to start sewing with knits, this is the one you should try!  It’s small enough, that if you mess up it’s not that big of a deal.  Plus when you finish a pair, and see your kids wearing them, it’s the cutest thing ever, seriously.

Noodlehead   knit undies: take two sewing with knits kids clothes

Natalie is almost 7 now.  She definitely has her own opinion on things.  She said she didn’t like the center panel on the smaller underwear I had finished for Emily.  So I modified the pattern a bit and made it to just have side seams, ta da!  Big girl underwear.  I’m proud of them!  I jump around and do a little dance every time I finish a pair!

Noodlehead   knit undies: take two sewing with knits kids clothes

And maybe I just need to make some for myself, have to you seen this tutorial over at Very Purple Person?  I quick made my own pattern from an existing pair and I’m excited to try it out!

Noodlehead   knit undies: take two sewing with knits kids clothes

I think it’s good to note that both of the size 4 (smaller) underwear I made were the exact same, just chose a different binding fabric.  The pair that I made with the ribbed knit is much looser because that particular knit didn’t have as much stretch recovery.  Good to know in the future!  I definitely recommend using a knit with a little spandex or lycra in it, they are nice and stretchy without being bulky like a ribbed knit would.

Noodlehead   knit undies: take two sewing with knits kids clothes

39 Responses to knit undies: take two

1. Amber 03.07.2013 at 10:57 am #

I bought that pattern too and love it! The center panel is small enough on the pairs I’ve made that I cut cute patterns from old baby clothes (onsies, sleepers, pjs). Is the polka dot and stripe on the binding two way stretch? I haven’t been able to find any two way stretch in patterns, and those are so fun.

• Anna 03.12.2013 at 4:53 pm #

The polkadot is a four way stretch, with some lycra or spandex in it. The stripe has a little less stretch recovery. Check Sewzanne’s, fabric.com, Girl Charlee, Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics. There are a lot more but that should give you a good start!

• Anna 03.12.2013 at 4:55 pm #

Check out The Fabric Fairy, too!

2. Sabs 03.07.2013 at 11:28 am #

Really cute, I want some for myself!

3. Jeni 03.07.2013 at 11:30 am #

These are seriously way too cute! That dachshund fabric puts me over the edge!!

4. Carolyn 03.07.2013 at 11:36 am #

These are ridiculously cute and good to know that I can easily alter the pattern in the future if I want to take the center panel off. My favorite part about this pattern is that it is the perfect way to use tiny bits of left-over fabric!

5. mle 03.07.2013 at 11:47 am #

Too cute!

6. gail 03.07.2013 at 12:09 pm #

i love this pattern too! your modification is great, they look so pro! i wish i could find some cute knits like that, too :)

7. Vanessa 03.07.2013 at 12:46 pm #

I so need to make some of these! Turns out Syd is allergic to the “tagless tag” printing that apparently all underwear have these days so she’s been wearing them inside out :(

8. Maureen Cracknell Handmade 03.07.2013 at 12:56 pm #

These are so adorable!! It’s been impossible for me to find undies that will fit my girl right. Maybe I should try making some, however knits scare me!

ps I still have a box of yarn for you! I’m embarrassed to say it was actually buried in my sewing room! I’ve recovered it now and will send it out soon!!

9. 3Ms +1N 03.07.2013 at 1:37 pm #

Oh boy those are adorable! And I would totally do a happy dance with each completed pair, too. A finished item in this house is definitely something to celebrate!
    My youngest (2 1/2) just potty-trained herself. I’m pretty sure she needs some of these! ;)
    Thanks for sharing!

10. kristin 03.07.2013 at 1:39 pm #

Nooooo stoppit!!!! Underwear are pretty much the only item of clothing I can still buy for E guilt-free (rather than sewing it). Every time I see undies made with this pattern, though, my resistance crumbles a little.

11. Cliodana 03.07.2013 at 2:41 pm #

awesome! where do you buy your knit fabric? Maybe i’ll give a try for my triplets boys!

• Anna 03.12.2013 at 4:51 pm #

I got these from a combination of SewZanne’s, Girl Charlee, Hancock Fabrics (my local shop), and Hobby Lobby! Fabric.com is always a good resource too!

12. Crystal 03.07.2013 at 2:48 pm #

I have been thinking about sewing some undies for my potty training toddler. I will have to check out that pattern, your’s are so cute!

13. Martha 03.07.2013 at 2:53 pm #

These are too cute!

14. dana 03.07.2013 at 3:17 pm #

these are too adorable! And SO professional. You are a professional :)

15. KerryQ 03.07.2013 at 6:02 pm #

My boys would love Weiner dogs on their, um, underwear. Sorry, couldn’t help it. They are soo cute!

16. Sarah 03.07.2013 at 6:06 pm #

Soo cute!! Where did you buy your knits? I love the prints and they look super soft and comfy!

• Anna 03.12.2013 at 4:51 pm #

17. shelley b 03.07.2013 at 8:46 pm #

What fun!! Can I ask where you bought your knits???

• Anna 03.08.2013 at 10:03 am #

Pink Chalk Fabrics has some nice knits, I usually order mine from fabric.com and it’s pretty hit or miss on the quality, but overall I’m pretty satisfied. I had ordered some of the knits in my post from Sewzanne’s probably about 3 years ago. Another great knit shop is Girl Charlee.

Hope that helps!!! And as long as you’re motivated and excited about it, you’ll definitely go far!

• shelley 03.13.2013 at 1:31 am #

Thanks so much!!!

18. Frances 03.07.2013 at 10:02 pm #

These undies are so cute I can hardly stand it. The polka dots! I have made a couple of pairs of undies for A and they really are so much fun to make, aren’t they!

19. Cindy 03.07.2013 at 10:12 pm #

Ohhh Anna, these are adorable! And yes, I remember how cute the first batch was!!:) Just love your work!

20. Elizabeth 03.07.2013 at 10:38 pm #

It doesn’t look like she is selling it on her etsy site (that darn cat)!!!! I am bummed!!! This is so cute! :)

• Anna 03.07.2013 at 10:47 pm #

Just send her a convo, she’ll just relist it for you! :)

21. Enney Pitter 03.07.2013 at 11:14 pm #

I agree homemade knickers make little bottoms even sweeter. I love your pattern change and think I will adopt it when we move up sizes again.

22. 2WeeMonsters 03.07.2013 at 11:56 pm #

If you decide to take the plunge on making your own, check out Zoe’s pattern on SoZo :http://sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.co.uk/p/free-patterns.html

I really like her pattern. She has a pattern for a camisole too.

23. Anna 03.08.2013 at 10:04 am #

update: You can also buy the pattern here: http://www.pinkchalkfabrics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1939

24. Truly Myrtle 03.08.2013 at 12:30 pm #

Oh these are soooooo cute!! My biggest problem is getting decent stretch knit in fabulous prints. Anyone in the UK reading this with some suggestions for me??

25. thingsforboys 03.08.2013 at 8:57 pm #

gah! Kids undies are sooo cute aren’t they?! They’re just so tiny! I started making my own because I couldn’t find any at the shops I liked. I’m totally hooked! They’re so comfy and quick to make! Definitely give it a go.

26. Andrea from The Train To Crazy 03.08.2013 at 11:05 pm #

I love this pattern. Such cute undies.

27. Carmel Morris 03.09.2013 at 8:48 am #

I’ve used this pattern too and love it. Such cute undies with great fit and easy to make!

28. Monica 03.09.2013 at 4:27 pm #

Yes!!! Thanks for this post, I have had making underwear on the mind since a friend bought a pack for her daughter at Mini Boden and mentioned how it was a splurge, but it makes her that much happier to be folding laundry. A lightbulb went off….why not make my kids underwear!? Seems like a lot of reward for a small amount of fabric. Then, seeing this and how adorable they are (truly!!!)….gah!

29. Gina 03.09.2013 at 7:26 pm #

holy cow!!! these are adorable!

30. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny 03.12.2013 at 10:34 pm #

Aaah! These are so cute! Love them, Anna.

31. feelincrafty 03.19.2013 at 1:15 am #

These are adorable!! I love the prints, too! I just need to buckle down and order a nice big pile of knit instead of getting so mad that none of my local shops carry any cute prints for boys!

32. amandajean 03.21.2013 at 12:46 pm #

cutest undies. ever! oh, you are good, anna.