Super Tote Super Hearts

This Umbrella Prints fabric is one of the first I picked to make into a Super Tote.  I love this print, yeah, so what I have two chairs covered in the same print?!  I’ll match my house at least.  I love this tote so much.  Orange is one of my many favorite colors.

I did make a different lining for this version, but when I fished it all up I didn’t like it!  So I made a whole new lining.  Of course I saved the lining that I didn’t use and will make a different exterior soonish.  I’m so happy I switched it though.

I also fully lined the front pocket on this one (an option in the pattern – instead of using a pocket facing), definitely recommend going this route if you’re just using quilting weight cottons.

I’ve been really excited to pop through the flickr group and find all sorts of finished pretties, you guys are always so productive!  Thank you so much for sharing.  Seriously, I get so distracted when I open up the group page, I love paging through what you made.

And I forgot to share this with the testers post, but my friend Carolyn made a Super Tote and was thoughtful enough to take time to send me her notes (even in the midst of all her Quilt Market preparing).  I love her version.  She included piping along her gusset which is so lovely.  ♥

Exterior: Chambray, Linen, Umbrella Prints
Lining: Architextures by Carolyn Friedlander, Julia Rothman for Windham Type (pockets)
Pattern: Super Tote

32 Responses to Super Tote Super Hearts

1. juf Eva 05.20.2013 at 10:33 am #

Love it!!
    Love the colour, love the harts, love the inside lining as well.
    Hope I will be able to make such nice things one day ;o)

• Anna 05.20.2013 at 11:00 am #

thank you! :) You totally can make it!

2. gail 05.20.2013 at 11:37 am #

You keep outdoing yourself with each new version of this bag! i love this one so much. those orange hearts with the gray…perfection! what’s that cool polka dot fabric you used to line the front pocket?

• Anna 05.20.2013 at 11:48 am #

thanks gail! :))) It’s leftover linen from my Colette dress I made earlier this year. I didn’t catch the name/manufacturer, but I’ll check the next time I go to the quilt shop!

3. Marta S. 05.20.2013 at 11:55 am #

Anna, I can’t tell you how much I love this pattern. I have been giddy over it all weekend (even though I didn’t get to finish my tote because my house needed cleaning and laundry needed doing!). I can say with total sincerity that this is my favorite bag pattern. I keep walking by my finished outside and marveling at how high quality it looks and feels. It’s difficult to fully appreciate how much thought and planning went into this pattern it’s that good. Really, really well done. And I think I just fell in love with your fabric combo in this one with the Umbrella Prints fabric. You are a woman after my own heart!

4. mANdarien 05.20.2013 at 11:58 am #

I like the way you combine the fabrics. It’s a marvellous bag !

5. Madla Loves To Sew 05.20.2013 at 12:44 pm #

Great work, Anna. I cut my fabrics for two totes, I just can’t find the time to sew them up. So excited to do it, though. I also cut the lining for my pockets. What a great bag.

6. Vanessa 05.20.2013 at 1:12 pm #

I think this one might be my favorite – the orange print is amazing!!

7. Jessica 05.20.2013 at 3:36 pm #

Oh I love this one! Great combos. I didn’t get decent pics of mine before gifting it, but I’m definitely making another this summer!

8. Allison 05.20.2013 at 3:50 pm #

“Orange is one of my many favorite colors.” hehe, I just love that sentence, so perfect :) {I can never choose just one favorite of anything!}

9. Katy Cameron 05.20.2013 at 4:02 pm #

I love those Umbrella Prints, although the most I’ve been able to afford so far are the trimmings lol Now I know they go great with chambray, linen and Architextures :oD

10. DKB 05.20.2013 at 4:52 pm #

Can I just repeat what Katy said ? Love Umbrella prints and finally purchased a trimmings pack last month. My work bag is shredded so I really do need to get me a Super Tote!

11. kristin 05.20.2013 at 5:10 pm #

Oh geez, Anna, this fabric combo is too perfect! Side note: I got to use a pocket of Gail’s Super Tote to stash swag in at Quilt Market, and that thing can hold a TON!

12. Vicky Nardone 05.20.2013 at 6:37 pm #

Love this! Can’t wait until I get a little better at sewing and my projects look as nice as yours.

13. Flying Blind... 05.20.2013 at 6:38 pm #

I’ve been pulling fabrics today, but might have to swap out for more orange now!

14. Jess 05.20.2013 at 7:23 pm #

This post is the one that finally made me pull the trigger and buy the pattern! The orange and gray is just beautiful.

Pattern question – why did you go with drawings instead of pictures this time?

• Anna 05.23.2013 at 10:38 pm #

Thanks Jess! I chose to do illustrations for this pattern for a couple reasons. I am planning on making paper patterns for this pattern and color photos for that many pages just isn’t practical. Also, I felt with the tote being the size it is, the step-by-step pictures would have been much more difficult to make readable. Hope that makes sense. :)

15. make it perfect 05.20.2013 at 7:43 pm #

love this one anna! orange and grey always wins!

16. erica 05.20.2013 at 7:48 pm #

OMGoodness! This is perfection!

17. Mary on Lake Pulaski 05.20.2013 at 9:37 pm #

This is a great fabric combo Anna – I love orange too.

18. A Quilter's Mission - Vicki 05.20.2013 at 10:05 pm #

I am with you, the orange is outstanding!! LOVE this…what a great lining. The pockets are great.

19. Poppyprint 05.21.2013 at 1:42 am #

I am so going to make this bag! This one is gorgeous, and I love that you match your house. If it was me, though, and I put that tote on a matching chair, I swear I’d run around trying to find it for hours. I am the worst at not seeing stuff right in front of me!

20. Anne Marie 05.21.2013 at 6:55 am #

Love how it turned out!

21. Cindy 05.21.2013 at 7:38 am #

Great bag, Anna!! Love the color selection you went with!:)

22. Kelly O. 05.21.2013 at 4:22 pm #

your super heart super tote is super cute!

23. Poppyprint 05.22.2013 at 11:23 pm #

Anna – did you do a tiny zigzag stay stitch across the bottom of your dart on this version?

• Anna 05.22.2013 at 11:30 pm #

yes! It’s a little option as the last step on the project. I think it is really effective. :)

• Anna 05.22.2013 at 11:31 pm #

I guess to be more technical – it’s just a straight stitch a few stitches across back and forth a few times. :)

24. dana 05.29.2013 at 12:32 am #

oh my gosh this is so cute Anna. SO cute.

25. Susanne 06.05.2013 at 6:18 am #

Hi, recently I made the Super Tote an I love the pattern. I made two alterations. I found the recessed zip a little bit cumbersome. Maybe you are interested in my review and the way I inserted the zip: http://suleon.blogspot.de/2013/06/super-tote-review-and-tips.html
    Best wishes
    Susanne

• Anna 06.05.2013 at 9:34 am #

oh fun! Yep, that’s the fun thing about sewing, always more than one way to accomplish the same thing! :)

26. Lena G 08.08.2013 at 10:50 am #

Have you ever used laminated fabric for the lining, so it could be used as a swim bag? Wondering how it would turnout???