Shorts on the Line: Lesson Book Shorts

Noodlehead   Shorts on the Line: Lesson Book Shorts sewing with knits kids clothes

I’m joining in today for the Shorts on the Line series put on by Imagine Gnats and Small + Friendly.

Pumped!!! That’s what I am about these shorts.  I had serious doubts if I picked the wrong size when these were going together.  I had traced and intended to sew these shorts up during Kids Clothes Week, but never got around to the actual cutting and sewing part.  That happens a lot.

I’m so happy that these shorts will get worn.  They’re made from a soft french terry and a rib knit waistband.

As for the details of this pattern, they’re wonderful!  Seriously.  This book is filled with such great clothes for kids.  I love the way the waistband is put together, the pockets, the tiny bow and even the patch on the back pocket.  Yes, this book is in all Japanese, but it’s totally do-able.  The directions have lots of pictures which is really helpful.  I think if you have a few knit sewing experiences under your belt you can make these.

I used a walking foot the whole time which was very helpful.  I serged all my seams to finish them, even tucked in the serger thread tails back up into the seam.  It’s also really nice that the waistband is made so that you can make the elastic bigger, perfect for when you kid hits that growth spurt this summer.  Just snip out the elastic and replace it with a longer piece.

Natalie has requested a pair so I’d better get to work!

Pattern: Lesson Book (N-2, size 100) Originally purchased at Miss Matatabi
French Terry: fabric.com
rib knit: Hancock Fabrics
Ribbon: Pinked Fabrics

This post is part of shorts on the line sewalong hosted by imagine gnats and small + friendly, sponsored by Jo-AnnPretty Prudent/PellonĀ®, and Hawthorne Threads

18 Responses to Shorts on the Line: Lesson Book Shorts

1. Shino 06.20.2013 at 9:46 am #

Hi Anna! Love this look! The shorts look so comfy and cute! I have same Japanese Book and I AM Japanese( which means I can totally understand that book :)),so why not? I will definitely make one! Bow on the waistband and patch pocket are so adorable! And love her “Love Your Mother” Tee!

2. gail 06.20.2013 at 10:50 am #

oh yes, those look like shorts a kid would want to wear! those twill tape details are so cute!

3. small + friendly 06.20.2013 at 11:01 am #

Adorable! I want a pair! Thank you so much for sewing along!

4. greatjencreations 06.20.2013 at 12:12 pm #

Those look awesome! I have the book too, but last time I made a pair of shorts from a Japanese book, the sizing was off terribly and we had to give the shorts away. What size conversions do you think apply to that book or those shorts? Thanks!

• Anna 06.28.2013 at 4:47 pm #

Hey! I’d say the 100 cm size is a 4T. :)

5. colesworth 06.20.2013 at 4:27 pm #

These are great! I’ve made a few shorts from Japanese pattern books and they all have a ‘built in gap’ for the elastic. I make my elastic an inch or so longer than I need and fold over the excess next to the join and stitch it down with bright thread. If I notice the shorts are getting too tight it is easy to pull out and use the seam ripper to take those stitches out -instantly a bigger band with no sewing!

6. Lucinda Poel 06.20.2013 at 5:26 pm #

love the little red ribbon on the back pocket – perfect little detail!!

7. rachael {imagine gnats} 06.20.2013 at 5:45 pm #

i think i need some me-sized shorts just like these!! thanks for being part of shorts on the line :)

8. A Quilter's Mission - Vicki 06.20.2013 at 7:10 pm #

I love these shorts! Perfect for a wiggly, jumpy summer!

9. Cindy 06.20.2013 at 7:53 pm #

The shorts look great! Nice and comfy and perfect for active kids.:)

10. Karin 06.20.2013 at 9:28 pm #

I wish I had your confidence to do knits! I fear the knits. These shorts look super comfy. :)

11. kristin 06.21.2013 at 10:57 am #

These look like pretty much the comfiest shorts ever. Adorable!

12. Vanessa 06.21.2013 at 1:07 pm #

i seriously need to get that book – those shorts are too cute!

13. DKB 06.21.2013 at 5:46 pm #

Super cute. they look store bought. and that’s a compliment!

14. Truly Myrtle 06.22.2013 at 11:51 am #

They are so cute – I love the little bow detail and they look so comfy! X

15. juf Eva 06.23.2013 at 10:35 am #

Love them. Details are so cute!

16. Lori 06.24.2013 at 9:22 am #

these are so cute. I love the color. They would go with any shirt.

17. Hannah 07.26.2013 at 7:20 pm #

These are great! I love that they look super comfortable and a little sassy at the same time. I can easily imagine myself running around in something like these at that age. I’d love to see these on Kollabora, the online crafting community I’m part of. People haven’t been posting shorts much for some reason, but they’re all I want to wear these days.