Cargo Duffle Pattern for Robert Kaufman

I am bursting at the seams happy about this new duffle pattern: the Cargo Duffle!  The lovely folks at Robert Kaufman asked me to come up with a pattern that they could post on their website.  You know what that means, right?  It’s for YOU and it’s FREE!  I can see this pattern working with so many fabrics and it’s just the perfect size (if you ask me) for an overnight bag or carry on.

And those cute front pockets?!  Aren’t they awesome?!  I want to squish them.  So are you ready to make a Cargo Duffle?  It’s available now!  There is a downloadable PDF on the Robert Kaufman website and you can get busy and make your own!  Just in time for all the Holiday fun, too!

This duffle was made with the awesome new line by Carolyn Friedlander called Botanics.  I feel genuinely giddy over how awesome they are and couldn’t be happier with being able to sew with them.  Carolyn has this beautiful way with design and color, to me it’s pure heaven (on fabric that is).

I have a few more to show you, so stay tuned! Hurrah!

PS. in the pattern I call for a 26″ coverall zipper, they’re lovely because they zip from both ends.  I found the Coats & Clark ones at my local Hancock Fabrics.  I also had my friend find some YKK brand on Amazon, Coverall 26″ Zipper.  The snaps are Dritz brand (also purchased at Hancock) size 24.  You can also find great snaps at Snap Source.

Oh, and I would be thrilled to see any you make!  You can add them to the Noodlehead flickr group or the Robert Kaufman flickr group or both!

The amazon link to the zippers is an affiliate link, but of course I definitely recommend them, and have purchased them myself.

, ,

87 Responses to Cargo Duffle Pattern for Robert Kaufman

1. SoozeM 10.31.2013 at 7:15 am #

Woohoo thank you thank you thank you it is gorgeous and I can’t wait to make one!!

2. Ute 10.31.2013 at 7:30 am #

Thank you so much! I can´t believe we are getting your wonderful instructions and pattern for free! Your bags are the best!

3. Jessie Fincham @ Messy Jesse 10.31.2013 at 7:48 am #

ummm Anna this is completely fab!!! I’m SO making this! xo

4. Teresa 10.31.2013 at 7:51 am #

yay! I’m super excited!

5. house on hill road 10.31.2013 at 7:58 am #

yay! i saw the bags in person at market and they are fantastic! so excited to make one (or three!).

6. Andrea 10.31.2013 at 8:07 am #

This bag looks so nice and professional! Thanks a bunch for coming up with such a great pattern to share with us.

7. Giulia C 10.31.2013 at 8:15 am #

What a lovely project! Thanks for the free pattern :)

8. verykerryberry 10.31.2013 at 8:53 am #

Stunning, lovely aesthetic too and so very you

9. molly::applecyder 10.31.2013 at 9:16 am #

You are a rockstar. I also saw these at market and they are gorgeous!

10. RaspberrySunshine 10.31.2013 at 9:34 am #

Love RK and your pattern is awesome!! Great job :-)

11. Taya@TypeB 10.31.2013 at 9:34 am #

I’m so excited about this! Saw it on Carolyn’s FB posts from market and about fell off my chair when she said – free download! Thanks for sharing all your great work!

12. Jane Skoch 10.31.2013 at 9:48 am #

Wow – fabulous. It would be great with upcycled fabrics, too.

13. aneela 10.31.2013 at 9:49 am #

Love this Anna! Definitely making it :)

14. Nadeen Coursen 10.31.2013 at 10:00 am #

What an opportunity! Smart move, Robert Kaufman. Everyone will love this! I can’t wait to get started on mine…

15. Gwen @ Gwenny Penny 10.31.2013 at 10:04 am #

Absolutely awesome, Anna!

16. mle 10.31.2013 at 11:19 am #

How awesome is that!! Thank you Anna!

17. Kristan 10.31.2013 at 11:30 am #

I downloaded this pattern yesterday as soon as I saw it in my Instagram feed. Well done, Anna! Now I just have to finish the Social Tote I started and then get going on this Cargo Duffle. :)

18. Laurel 10.31.2013 at 11:49 am #

Whaaaat?!?! This is awesome! Definitely making one. You rock, Anna!

19. Elsa 10.31.2013 at 12:03 pm #

It’s lovely and so generous of you and Robert Kaufman!

20. britt schmiesing 10.31.2013 at 12:23 pm #

that bag rocks! now i am going to have to add it to my ever growing things to make before christmas list!

21. Elizabeth 10.31.2013 at 1:01 pm #

I am beginning this today – LOVE IT!!! Many, many thanks for sharing this pattern so freely. I’ll get my daughter to post the photo when it’s finished (and learn how to do it myself – photo-posting, that is! – at the same time!)

22. 10.31.2013 at 1:09 pm #

Gorgeous! Sophisticated too. You lucky duck with the early Botanics stash. Off to download…

23. amy 10.31.2013 at 1:36 pm #

It’s so awesome!!!! Love the front pockets!

24. Emily 10.31.2013 at 2:06 pm #

WOW! So fantastic! Thank you for sharing! :)

25. gpc 10.31.2013 at 3:06 pm #

LOVE this!

26. Ines 10.31.2013 at 3:58 pm #

Great Anna!

Hugs Ines

27. Hilary 10.31.2013 at 5:05 pm #

I just downloaded the pattern! I saw this bag at Market and I loved it so much!

28. LeslieWms 10.31.2013 at 5:15 pm #

Thank you – thank you! Just this morning I was thinking about making duffle bags like this for my grandsons this Christmas. This is perfect — and very easy to find with your links. Thanks again.

29. Stacia, the Homey Owl 10.31.2013 at 5:44 pm #

Ah! A free version of one of your fabulous bags – and I’ve been needing an overnight bag, you must have read my mind. 😉 This is fabulous. I can’t wait to pick out fabrics and try it. Thank you so much!

30. Jeannie 10.31.2013 at 6:31 pm #

Oh my gosh woman!! you did it again!! AWESOME!!

31. Jeni 10.31.2013 at 7:29 pm #

Well aren’t you sweet! Can’t wait to stitch this up!!

32. Katy Cameron 10.31.2013 at 8:33 pm #

So fun, love those double front pockets!

33. hey june 10.31.2013 at 9:44 pm #

Where do you find the time?! This is such a perfect bag in every way – size, shape, style, everything! I am always astounded by your bag making skillz :)

34. Jenny 10.31.2013 at 10:20 pm #

This looks useful, super cute, AND like a fun sew! Can’t wait to try it!

35. Kim with a K 10.31.2013 at 11:21 pm #

You make the best patterns!!!

36. kristin 11.01.2013 at 12:59 am #

super great, anna!! great timing for christmas, too. 😉

37. Jess@craftiness is not optional 11.01.2013 at 1:36 am #

Anna! this is awesome! I love it!

38. Vicki Posten 11.01.2013 at 2:06 am #

You did it again. The perfect size and amenities. Who wouldn’t want this duffle?

39. 11.01.2013 at 11:02 am #

Wow! Thanks for the FREE pattern. I’m looking forward to giving this a try. Those outside pockets are super cute!

40. Kaye Prince 11.01.2013 at 12:27 pm #

I was literally just looking at Duffle patterns for a Christmas gift for Alex (he keeps needing to borrow mine). This is absolutely perfect Anna! And I already know that I love your patterns – Hurray!!

41. carolyn 11.01.2013 at 12:53 pm #

I LOVE this bag! You are so amazing.

42. Sally 11.01.2013 at 1:12 pm #

LOVE!!! I have been waiting for the perfect duffle pattern to appear.

43. 11.01.2013 at 11:16 pm #

Holy Moly, can’t wait to give this one a go! Thanks Anna!

44. ayumills 11.02.2013 at 9:52 pm #

Can’t say enough how much I love it!!

45. Anat (anat15) 11.03.2013 at 9:35 am #

Thank you!!!
    Love this bag.

46. Claudia 11.04.2013 at 3:12 am #

This is just toooooo wonderful for words! Love the bag, love your work and then for free? I just can’t believe it! Can’t waste my time now and will download it directly. Such a lovely surprise and thank you very very much! Greetings from Claudia in Germany

47. Deedrie 11.04.2013 at 11:39 am #

Putting this one on my to make list!!!

48. Kristie 11.05.2013 at 10:13 am #

I am going to make one and tell my hubby he has to take me somewhere to use it! Thank you!

49. Kelly O. 11.05.2013 at 2:44 pm #

Anna! this is lovely!! I was considering trying my hand at a weekender but I’m going to give this a try first! do you think I could do a patchwork one?? Any pattern of yours is sure to be a winner and more doable for me than the weekender I’m sure!

• Anna 11.05.2013 at 2:48 pm #

thanks bunches Kelly! :) yes, it’s done quilt-as you-go style, so for sure you’d be able to do patchwork (and I’d love to see a version like that!). Yes, this should be a bit easier than a weekender just because of the straight sides, overall assembly, etc.

50. voyance gratuite 11.07.2013 at 5:37 am #

I’m diverting with this content and I take into consideration I’ll advantage from this post. give thanks you really a great deal.

51. lora 11.21.2013 at 9:43 am #

It is with pleasure that I wandered on your blog
    good luck
    voyance gratuite en ligne

52. Jasmine Warner 11.25.2013 at 2:31 am #

Hello Anna,

Do you absolutely have to have a walking foot for this pattern? I don’t have one, but I do have a serger at home besides my sewing machine. Thank you

• Anna 11.25.2013 at 10:07 am #

Unless your machine is really great at going through many layers with ease, yes, I definitely think you need it. I use my walking foot almost all the time, it’s totally worth the investment (usually they’re around $100 or less).

53. Sharon Kerner 01.12.2014 at 5:25 pm #

Hi! I pinned this bag from Pinterest awhile ago and wanted to let you know that my mom made it for me (she’s a way better seamstress than I am). It turned out great!! The only difference is that she used cotton webbing for the handles and also added a longer webbing strap so that I can carry it cross-body. Thanks for the great pattern!!

54. Moki and Mac Mac 01.26.2014 at 9:19 am #

Thanks for the free pattern. I love it.

55. Sherri | Thread Riding Hood 01.29.2014 at 2:02 pm #

I’ve made one of these and two backpacks using the same construction style. I absolutely love the duffle and might make it my go-to gift for family for Christmas. It is the perfect size and everything. I’m still in amazement of how good it is. Thanks so much for this. Here’s a link:

56. Anonymous 02.20.2014 at 1:29 pm #

Random …. would it be possible to do this pattern without ‘quilting’ it?

• Anna 02.22.2014 at 12:16 am #

Sure! Just bulk up on the interfacing, Soft & Stable might be a good fit.

57. Steph Zerbe 03.01.2014 at 1:21 pm #

I finally made one. I love it Anna, thank you so much. The pockets were so fun to make. There were a lot of firsts here for me. Pockets, snaps, metal stamping…. here’s a link to my blog post Enjoy and thanks again!

58. Claudia 05.24.2014 at 5:58 pm #

Hi Anna, I am seeing this duffle being sold on Etsy. Because this is a free pattern, is it allowable to sell bags made from this pattern? I would like to make them, but I don’t want to infringe on any rights. Thank you.

• Anna 06.01.2014 at 12:00 pm #

Thanks for the question. I ask that my free tutorials, etc. be for personal use only, but I’m not sure how it works for Robert Kaufman.

59. lily 11.29.2014 at 8:49 am #

hi there, I’m planning to travel very soon, and making my own duffle bag would be awesome !!! How can I get the printable pattern pieces please, ohhhhh pretty please ! can’t wait to read your precious answer ! Thank you… Lily

• Anna Graham 12.01.2014 at 5:40 pm #

The pattern/instructions are on the Robert Kaufman site (linked in the post above). :) Hope that helps!

60. Ella 05.16.2015 at 12:39 am #

I’m trying to download this pattern but when I click on download nothing happens……Please help.

61. suzanne Doggett 06.27.2015 at 2:03 pm #

is there a sew a long for the duffle

62. Sue 08.17.2015 at 6:33 pm #

Wonderful bag. Spent the weekend sewing this bag. I made it slightly bigger to fit my sewing machine. First time quilting and the outcome is great. Good instructions, well done.

63. Rosemary 08.23.2015 at 10:43 am #

I am hoping you are still checking these comments! I puchased the kit from craftsy and love the design, but looking at the contrast on the bottom gusset, the instructions say quilt it to stabilise the pocket. I am new to quilting but I dont seem to have cut out any batting or lining for the gusset. Will it be just one layer?
    Hope you can answer this

1. NOODLEHEAD CARGO DUFFLE BAGS « make something - 08.17.2014

[…] Cargo Duffle Bag by Anna Graham of Noodlehead (free pattern! from Robert Kaufman) Main fabrics are Robert Kaufman Essex Yarn Dyed Linen in Navy & Black Pockets, handles and interior lining are four different prints from the Indelible collection by Katarina Roccella […]

2. Duffle Bag from Pillow Cover (Free Sewing Pattern) - Believe&Inspire - 08.26.2014

[…] Get your free pattern on Noodlehead and make this pretty bag now! I’m sure you’ll love it too! […]

3. #TravelHandmade | Go Sewtopia - 09.17.2014

[…] Anna Graham of Noodlehead released her Cargo Druffle pattern for Robert Kaufman.  It’s a great bag for overnight or just a carry […]

4. Time Warp Projects - Noodlehead - 10.08.2014

[…] Cargo Duffle was really quick to put together. I had cut out all the canvas and batting a while back when I was […]

5. Trail Tote featuring Doe by Carolyn Friedlander - Noodlehead - 10.20.2014

[…] paired up with Robert Kaufman again for another free pattern – the Trail Tote! Just like the Cargo Duffle and Manicure wallet, you can jump on over to the Robert Kaufman website and download the pattern […]

6. WeAllSew « - 12.05.2014

[…] 7. This roomy duffle bag is perfect for toting a change of clothes to the gym or for a short weekend get-away. Find the Cargo Duffeel Pattern and Tutorial from Noodlehead. […]

7. tutorial: modifying a two way metal zipper {perfect for the noodlehead cargo duffle} | My Site - 01.14.2015

[…] they have all been crafty and fun, but… still counts for something in my book). I saw the nooodlehead cargo duffle bag pattern last year and immediately put it on my to-do list. With holiday gifts finished and the […]

8. Cargo Duffle Free Pattern - The Daily Seam - 01.16.2015

[…] a roomy cargo duffle bag with this free pattern from Noodlehead for Robert Kaufman fabrics. Perfect for a weekend getaway, this bag is sure to […]

9. Snap Tutorial - Noodlehead - 02.09.2015

[…] and snaps are an awesome way to add a professional finish to lots of projects. I first designed the Cargo Duffle pattern and loved how the snaps looked and functioned. My Snappy Manicure Wallet pattern also uses snaps! […]

10. tutorial: modifying a two way metal zipper {perfect for the noodlehead cargo duffle} | lillyella - 02.16.2015

11. Pattern Review: Noodlehead Cargo Duffle Bag (For real this time!) | Moore Approved - 02.28.2015

[…] contemplating Noodlehead’s Cargo Duffle Bag pattern for over a year, and even trying to hack the pattern – I finally took the plunge and made […]

12. New Girl » the pretty little fiber co. - 03.03.2015

[…] I’m laying out my plans to sew the Cargo Duffle by Noodlehead. I said I wanted to sew more this year, and this is going to be my first project back at my sewing […]

13. Internet Highlights | Match Makes - 03.21.2015

[…] been thinking about making a new bag for some of the traveling that I will do this summer. The Cargo Duffle by Noodlehead has been on my list and this version from Coconut Robot that I found yesterday has inspired all […]

14. Springtime Exploration » the pretty little fiber co. - 03.24.2015

[…] So you see the pink and mint in my shawl? Pink and mint is my new obsession. It has spilled into my fabric purchases as well. I bought fabric last week and I cannot WAIT to start sewing it into my Noodlehead Cargo Duffle. […]

15. Summer Sewing Plans | Match Makes - 04.18.2015

[…] Cargo duffle with matching dop kit and pouch (no fabric for this yet) […]

16. Bags for me! | kopykat & kidz - 05.07.2015

[…] leaving it as is… it has some flaws I noticed after using it or cut it up and re-do it using Noodle-head’s Cargo Duffle pattern (it’s free and funnily enough was already saved to my […]

17. 15 More Bags to Sew - Crazy Little Projects - 05.12.2015