baby seal lap duvet

Noodlehead   baby seal lap duvet

An ultimate cozy winter blanket.  I try and steal this every chance I get because it’s so awesome!  I used the Purl Bee‘s Lap Duvet Tutorial to make this snuggly one!

Noodlehead   baby seal lap duvet

Noodlehead   baby seal lap duvet

I used a crib size  100% wool batting by Pellon (Legacy Wool Batting).  I seriously need to get more of this wool batting, it’s so warm and the drape of the duvet is just amazingly soft.

Noodlehead   baby seal lap duvet

Noodlehead   baby seal lap duvet

I think all quilt battings have quilting recommendations on the packaging.  Usually it’ll say if it’s for hand and/or machine quilting, washing settings and how far apart quilting lines can be.  This particular batting suggests quilting at 4″ apart.  So I tacked down every 3″ or so just to be safe.  I knew it would get dragged around and used a lot.

Noodlehead   baby seal lap duvet

I first spied the baby seal fabric on Amanda‘s instagram and immediately had to hunt some down. Lucky for me, Fabric Supply on Etsy had some and I scooped it up with glee!  It’s a beautiful double gauze so it’s very soft.  On the back I used more double gauze.  Some Nani Iro from Miss Matatabi that reminded me of snow (it’s a cream color base with white abstract dots) and then a patch of a gray gauze that I found on fabric.com.

Noodlehead   baby seal lap duvet

Snuggle time!  Thanks for stopping by!  I appreciate it so much!

, ,

27 Responses to baby seal lap duvet

1. sophie 01.15.2014 at 12:08 pm #

this looks so soft! love your fabric choice… ah! to be a little girl and snuggle in this duvet!! sigh!!

2. RobotMomSews 01.15.2014 at 12:08 pm #

This is super cute!!! The drape does look so nice. Love those seals!

3. Barbara 01.15.2014 at 12:52 pm #

So warm and snuggly! Love the baby seals. I’ve made a few of those with that pattern but I use flannel and linen with Warm & Natural cotton batting. The flannel starts soft and the linen softens with use.

4. Becky (My Fabric Obsession) 01.15.2014 at 1:01 pm #

That really looks soft and snuggly! and the seals are so cute. :)

5. Raychel 01.15.2014 at 1:09 pm #

I’ve made the Purl Bee Lap Duvet countless times. It is a hit every time! I have one that I use on my bed for naps and cold nights. Love!

6. Martha 01.15.2014 at 1:34 pm #

It looks so soft and cozy. The seals fabric is adorable. I think I need to make :)

7. Lucinda Poel 01.15.2014 at 1:38 pm #

love your fabric choices! what a dreamy soft blanket it must be in double gauze:)

8. Laurel 01.15.2014 at 2:01 pm #

Oh, I love this so much! And, what a simple project…I’m gonna have to make one. Is the wool batting washable? I can tell it’s super comfy. Was thinking this would make a nice gift for my sis-in-law who’s expecting twin boys…maybe something she could use when up doing feedings, but also something they could lay on.

9. kristin 01.15.2014 at 2:18 pm #

Omigosh. So cozy and cute. I’m sure it’s hard to pry that out of her hands! I just got some similar nani iro double gauze at Bolt – I was thinking a dress for Em but she didn’t seem too enthused about it, so maybe it’ll become a lap duvet/baby blanket instead. ;)

10. gail 01.15.2014 at 2:25 pm #

this is soooo beautiful anna – she must be in love! i’ve had the purl bee lap duvet on my list for a year and bought the double gauze and everything…i think seeing yours is going to make it happen!

11. Ines 01.15.2014 at 2:28 pm #

Sooooooo sweet! The fabric is totally cute and this Lap Duvet is great.

Greetings Ines

12. **nicke... 01.15.2014 at 5:18 pm #

it is beautiful anna! love it lots! i love the wool batting also, if only it wasn’t so blasted expensive! ;) xoxo

13. kerook 01.15.2014 at 6:21 pm #

Love it *__*

14. Quilt Fabric Pizazz 01.15.2014 at 8:30 pm #

Just love your snuggy quilt. Nice, soft, warm. The quilts made with the warm & natural with tons of quilting are so hard, flat and not warm at all. So nice to see someone do it right!

15. Frances 01.15.2014 at 9:04 pm #

I adore this. And I always love your colour choices!

16. Stacia, the Homey Owl 01.15.2014 at 9:22 pm #

This looks amazing! I crave blankets during this time of the year, so I’m itching to try this now that you’ve brought it to my attention.

17. A Quilter's Mission 01.16.2014 at 3:48 am #

So cute, you have made me want to snuggle with a quilt myself.

18. Anonymous 01.16.2014 at 6:15 am #

the fabric is so sweet… Amazing! Greetings from Berlin

19. Katy Cameron 01.16.2014 at 2:31 pm #

Aww, the seals are so cute! Took me a moment to work out where the seals came in *ahem*

20. lilyknits 01.17.2014 at 12:59 pm #

I love your fabric choices! I’ve made a few of these and haven’t had luck finding a method of tying that I like. The way they instruct in the pattern doesn’t work well on my machine. How did you tie this one? Thanks!

• Anna 01.17.2014 at 1:11 pm #

Thank you! I used a wide zig zag stitch set to a ‘0’ length. It’s actually a .2 on my machine but still stays in one place. Hope that helps!

21. Teri Springer 01.17.2014 at 10:12 pm #

Just wondering…I am hesitant to use wool for a baby quilt (in case of allergies), have you ever had that come up?…as well as, I am hesitant to use batting that is bonded chemically, instead of by heat. I have to wonder what chemicals are used in the legacy batting….I would love to try it.

22. French 75 01.18.2014 at 12:58 pm #

I have not had good luck with the Pellon Legacy wool batting. I used it in a queen sized quilt I made for my daughter. I quilted it with heavy, custom quilting so most of the quilting was 1/2″ to 3/4″ apart. When she washed it, about 40% of the batting migrated out of the quilt to the outside. It was the most outrageous and extreme bearding I have ever seen. It looked like a Halloween spider web all over both sides of the quilt. I complained to Pellon. It seems that they had had some quality issues in manufacturing that batting. I hope you have better luck with that wool batting.

• Anna 01.19.2014 at 12:31 am #

oh bummer! I haven’t washed it yet, hope that when I need to though that it turns out okay. I might give some other brands a try, just out of curiosity. :)

23. Nancy@OwensOlivia 01.19.2014 at 9:47 am #

so cute!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. fall kcw :: seal pajamas | - 10.20.2014

[…] She’s pretty into sea animals and the color blue, so when I remembered Anna’s beautiful baby seal lap duvet, I went searching for the fabric. It was still available on Etsy, so I ordered a yard (which […]