baby seal lap duvet

An ultimate cozy winter blanket.  I try and steal this every chance I get because it’s so awesome!  I used the Purl Bee‘s Lap Duvet Tutorial to make this snuggly one!

I used a crib size  100% wool batting by Pellon (Legacy Wool Batting).  I seriously need to get more of this wool batting, it’s so warm and the drape of the duvet is just amazingly soft.

I think all quilt battings have quilting recommendations on the packaging.  Usually it’ll say if it’s for hand and/or machine quilting, washing settings and how far apart quilting lines can be.  This particular batting suggests quilting at 4″ apart.  So I tacked down every 3″ or so just to be safe.  I knew it would get dragged around and used a lot.

I first spied the baby seal fabric on Amanda‘s instagram and immediately had to hunt some down. Lucky for me, Fabric Supply on Etsy had some and I scooped it up with glee!  It’s a beautiful double gauze so it’s very soft.  On the back I used more double gauze.  Some Nani Iro from Miss Matatabi that reminded me of snow (it’s a cream color base with white abstract dots) and then a patch of a gray gauze that I found on fabric.com.

Snuggle time!  Thanks for stopping by!  I appreciate it so much!

, ,

27 Responses to baby seal lap duvet

1. sophie 01.15.2014 at 12:08 pm #

this looks so soft! love your fabric choice… ah! to be a little girl and snuggle in this duvet!! sigh!!

2. RobotMomSews 01.15.2014 at 12:08 pm #

This is super cute!!! The drape does look so nice. Love those seals!

3. Barbara 01.15.2014 at 12:52 pm #

So warm and snuggly! Love the baby seals. I’ve made a few of those with that pattern but I use flannel and linen with Warm & Natural cotton batting. The flannel starts soft and the linen softens with use.

4. Becky (My Fabric Obsession) 01.15.2014 at 1:01 pm #

That really looks soft and snuggly! and the seals are so cute. :)

5. Raychel 01.15.2014 at 1:09 pm #

I’ve made the Purl Bee Lap Duvet countless times. It is a hit every time! I have one that I use on my bed for naps and cold nights. Love!

6. Martha 01.15.2014 at 1:34 pm #

It looks so soft and cozy. The seals fabric is adorable. I think I need to make :)

7. Lucinda Poel 01.15.2014 at 1:38 pm #

love your fabric choices! what a dreamy soft blanket it must be in double gauze:)

8. Laurel 01.15.2014 at 2:01 pm #

Oh, I love this so much! And, what a simple project…I’m gonna have to make one. Is the wool batting washable? I can tell it’s super comfy. Was thinking this would make a nice gift for my sis-in-law who’s expecting twin boys…maybe something she could use when up doing feedings, but also something they could lay on.

9. kristin 01.15.2014 at 2:18 pm #

Omigosh. So cozy and cute. I’m sure it’s hard to pry that out of her hands! I just got some similar nani iro double gauze at Bolt – I was thinking a dress for Em but she didn’t seem too enthused about it, so maybe it’ll become a lap duvet/baby blanket instead. ;)

10. gail 01.15.2014 at 2:25 pm #

this is soooo beautiful anna – she must be in love! i’ve had the purl bee lap duvet on my list for a year and bought the double gauze and everything…i think seeing yours is going to make it happen!

11. Ines 01.15.2014 at 2:28 pm #

Sooooooo sweet! The fabric is totally cute and this Lap Duvet is great.

Greetings Ines

12. **nicke... 01.15.2014 at 5:18 pm #

it is beautiful anna! love it lots! i love the wool batting also, if only it wasn’t so blasted expensive! ;) xoxo

13. kerook 01.15.2014 at 6:21 pm #

Love it *__*

14. Quilt Fabric Pizazz 01.15.2014 at 8:30 pm #

Just love your snuggy quilt. Nice, soft, warm. The quilts made with the warm & natural with tons of quilting are so hard, flat and not warm at all. So nice to see someone do it right!

15. Frances 01.15.2014 at 9:04 pm #

I adore this. And I always love your colour choices!

16. Stacia, the Homey Owl 01.15.2014 at 9:22 pm #

This looks amazing! I crave blankets during this time of the year, so I’m itching to try this now that you’ve brought it to my attention.

17. A Quilter's Mission 01.16.2014 at 3:48 am #

So cute, you have made me want to snuggle with a quilt myself.

18. Anonymous 01.16.2014 at 6:15 am #

the fabric is so sweet… Amazing! Greetings from Berlin

19. Katy Cameron 01.16.2014 at 2:31 pm #

Aww, the seals are so cute! Took me a moment to work out where the seals came in *ahem*

20. lilyknits 01.17.2014 at 12:59 pm #

I love your fabric choices! I’ve made a few of these and haven’t had luck finding a method of tying that I like. The way they instruct in the pattern doesn’t work well on my machine. How did you tie this one? Thanks!

• Anna 01.17.2014 at 1:11 pm #

Thank you! I used a wide zig zag stitch set to a ‘0’ length. It’s actually a .2 on my machine but still stays in one place. Hope that helps!

21. Teri Springer 01.17.2014 at 10:12 pm #

Just wondering…I am hesitant to use wool for a baby quilt (in case of allergies), have you ever had that come up?…as well as, I am hesitant to use batting that is bonded chemically, instead of by heat. I have to wonder what chemicals are used in the legacy batting….I would love to try it.

22. French 75 01.18.2014 at 12:58 pm #

I have not had good luck with the Pellon Legacy wool batting. I used it in a queen sized quilt I made for my daughter. I quilted it with heavy, custom quilting so most of the quilting was 1/2″ to 3/4″ apart. When she washed it, about 40% of the batting migrated out of the quilt to the outside. It was the most outrageous and extreme bearding I have ever seen. It looked like a Halloween spider web all over both sides of the quilt. I complained to Pellon. It seems that they had had some quality issues in manufacturing that batting. I hope you have better luck with that wool batting.

• Anna 01.19.2014 at 12:31 am #

oh bummer! I haven’t washed it yet, hope that when I need to though that it turns out okay. I might give some other brands a try, just out of curiosity. :)

23. Nancy@OwensOlivia 01.19.2014 at 9:47 am #

so cute!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. fall kcw :: seal pajamas | - 10.20.2014

[…] She’s pretty into sea animals and the color blue, so when I remembered Anna’s beautiful baby seal lap duvet, I went searching for the fabric. It was still available on Etsy, so I ordered a yard (which […]