Alrighty, so I offered a little bit more info for my new sewing/cutting table at the end of last year. Today I'll share how we put together the table. Maybe it'll work for you too!
I sketched out designs, scoured Pinterest for inspiration, and looked around my house to see what I could do for a new cutting table/sewing table. It was not easy! I already have a cabinet that holds most of my fabric and a desk for my computer, but this new table is in such a great addition.
The height of this table is really easy to customize! I goofed around and searched out different options for height. I ended up settling on my perfect middle, between counter height and desk height, about 34" tall. I'm about 5'8" and am quite comfortable both cutting and sewing at this table.
- 1 Ikea Expedit shelving unit
- 42" wide by 62" long oak veneer 3/4" plywood
- (1/4" x 3/4") Oak Screen Moulding -  8' 0'' Long (for finishing edge of plywood)
-  10' 2x4
-  8' 2x2's
-  4'' lag screws (for attaching 'legs' to Expedit and table top)
-  3'' deck screws (for making the 'legs')
- pickling stain
- water based poly
I believe the pictures show it pretty well how the desk goes together. The 2x2's are made into 2 rectangular frames and attached to the table top and back of the Expedit cabinet. There are  pieces of 2x4 that go under the Expedit (to add extra height), the other 2x4 goes under the open side of the desk, it attaches to the 2x2 frames and stabilizes the front edge of the desk. Hopefully this sketch will help a little, too:
- 2x2 [cut 4] 20.5''
- 2x2 [cut 4] 32.5'' (these are the vertical pieces, if you'd like to adjust the height, make longer or shorter)
- 2x4 [cut 3] 15'' (these pieces get attached under the Expedit to raise it's overall height)
- 2x4 [cut 1] 55.75''
We pickled the top of the desk (oak veneer), it's such a great look without spending gobs more money on a more expensive veneer or other solid surface countertop. Keeps everything bright and happy.
Everything is held together with the lag screws. And it's very sturdy. Don't need a wobbly desk! Anyway, if there's something that I forgot, please ask away!